Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by raehl311
While I hate it, I think I'm stuck. I get most of my value out of the upgrades, so I'll stick with SkyPiles until they cut back on F seats.
I would be shocked if the DL management plan doesn't already include cutting back on F seats too in the "domestic" market.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ipott
The fee for award travel is absolutely ridiculous. That's it, I have to look elsewhere as there is no benefit to being SE on worldperks.
Have fun finding somebody that doesn't charge fees for near-term tickets.

I think it is important to distinguish between industry-wide trends and program-specific changes. Close-in fees are an example of industry-wide trends. Of course, the close-in fees may be cause for abandoning the game entirely, but switching to another carrier doesn't really do much for you.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Of course, the close-in fees may be cause for abandoning the game entirely, but switching to another carrier doesn't really do much for you.
Switching to another carrier certainly does do a lot to avoid the "close-in fees".

I leave it to you to figure out that which the informed figured out quite some time before in order to help those who wanted to avoid the DL/DL-NW kool-aid and "close-in fees" for award tickets.

Think free date changes and beyond the DL pom-pom team of SkyTeam.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:12 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I am sounding like a broken record but..

DL and NW are taking the worst of each airline and making that the standard. A race to the bottom. How sad.

Yes, the elimination of Saturday night stay is nice. But last-minute (is 20 days before departure really "last minute"?) fees are a joke. Fortunately I will be exempt but that is not the point.

This airline needs to be put on the scrap heap - and that includes DL.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:11 am

Thumbs down

NW members ought to be able to enjoy their WP miles right up until the forced merger of these programs on the terms under which they were earned, without DL's crappy ''enhancements''. DL is screwing WP members by jumping the gun on this garbage.

Maybe they should have said ''Merry Christmas from the gringes at DL''
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
Is this structure more look like Continental???? NW/DL miles worth less and less. It's time to quit flying and redeem all the miles before 1/15
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would be shocked if the DL management plan doesn't already include cutting back on F seats too in the "domestic" market.
They have already announced a 12-15% reduction in schedule across the board. Granted this is a capacity reduction so there are theoretically less flyer's but I believe the flyer's who are left will all be Plats or Golds thus diluting the available seats...this is so ugly.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:39 am

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Have fun finding somebody that doesn't charge fees for near-term tickets.

I think it is important to distinguish between industry-wide trends and program-specific changes. Close-in fees are an example of industry-wide trends. Of course, the close-in fees may be cause for abandoning the game entirely, but switching to another carrier doesn't really do much for you.
Of course these fees are an industry-wide trend. Doesn't make it right.

Besides, DL mgmt had a chance to prove that they were the best in the industry, not just another carrier, a mere lemming following other lemmings. They could have made a bold statement to their pax and the general flying public that their fees were lower than other carriers. They refused to do so, and in fact went the other way - higher fees than many other carriers - and are thus part of the problem, not the solution. Supposedly, DL absorbed NW to become the best/biggest carrier around, offering pax great business value out of the consolidation and its inherent economies of scale, and attracting net new customers. So much for that. DL is now behaving as the biggest carrier, to be sure, much in the fashion of the biggest bully in school, daring anyone to fight back.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Aa looks a lot better for me

I guess I will now try to accumulate most of miles on AA as they still have a offseason award to South america for 30,000 miles TO PERU. I usaully book 2 award trips there each year for my wife baby and me total of 90,000 miles versus 135,000 now for lowest NW/DL award. So burn burn up all my Wordperks and skymiles ASAP snf I was Plat on both but no will no longer be

Last edited by rrohio; Jan 2, 2009 at 5:51 am Reason: spell
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: DELTA
Thumbs down And...

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Also effective January 15, 2009, Northwest will introduce a new award ticket redemption fee and will increase our award reissue and redeposit fees from $50 to $100.

Award Ticket Redemption Timeframes
(WorldPerks Platinum Elites are exempt from this fee) Award Ticket Fees
3 days or less prior to departure date $150 per ticket
4 - 7 days prior to departure date $100 per ticket
8 - 20 days prior to departure date $75 per ticket
21 days or more prior to departure date No Charge
The de-valuation of our WP Program begins...

-A
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:00 am
formerly jasperjugan

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
i just hope they fix this so everyone (including customers) will be happy in the end
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
The de-valuation of our WP Program begins...

-A
How many PerkSaver awards will this really affect? To get availability, surely most FFs will book well in advance. I see this as affecting more the "gotta go tomorrow" PerkPass usage.

And while one can argue that this devalues the program overall, it actually increases the value of attaining PE, as that will eliminate the fees for the FF.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tomh009
How many PerkSaver awards will this really affect? To get availability, surely most FFs will book well in advance. I see this as affecting more the "gotta go tomorrow" PerkPass usage.

And while one can argue that this devalues the program overall, it actually increases the value of attaining PE, as that will eliminate the fees for the FF.
-Plats are only exempt through next year.
-21 days is not last minute, in fact I have found far more PS seats inside a week than far in advance. I don't think I have ever booked an award outside a month,

This is absolutely a devaluation and when coupled with the swollen ranks that will be competing for 12-15% less seats this will only get worse.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jasperjugan
i just hope they fix this so everyone (including customers) will be happy in the end
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting when it comes to DL management.

DL is planning to transfer even more "consumer surplus" value away from consumers and into its own hands by further devaluing SkyMiles+WorldPerks miles. This will be done by way of the adjusted award pricing chart(s) and the three-tier award chart which is going to hit and hit hard this year. For example, DL's strategy is to gravitate ever more "loyalty" program account members into the standard domestic continental 48 US award tickets priced at 40,000 miles + fees, where potential DL-NW revenue-enhancement fees on a continental 48 US award ticket with DL-NW miles could reach $200 before taxes and airport fees -- so that is DL charging customers 40k miles + potentially $200 in fees for a domestic coach award ticket.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by drsan
Of course these fees are an industry-wide trend. Doesn't make it right.
Didn't say it made it right. I merely view it as inevitable. If one is leaving DL/NW because of close-in fees, there simply aren't many (if any) places to turn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.