Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Elite Qualification Exception request, advice please!

Old Dec 28, 08, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

I've already requalifed for Elite Status for 2009 programme year but my partner has not.

My partner (once a final class of service bonus is rectified) will be less than 200 EQMs from hitting the elite threshold. Unfortunately, we planned a series of last flights of the year which was booked and e-ticketed for tomorrow and which would have easily taken care of the EQMs for qualification - but we have cancelled the trip due to the ongoing winter weather problems as we weren't sure if we would be able to make the flight (there was a winter weather waiver that allowed us to cancel with full refund). Fitting any other flight in before 31st is difficult due to weather and availability.

My partner achieved the 24,763 EQM's in just 8 weeks of flying. I did ask NW for a challenge prior to the flights, but the answer was that the last challenge ended August 31st and due to the DL merger, all new challenges were on hold.

The final thing - some of the flights were on CO and booked in L class (which I did not know at the time only got 50% EQMs). Anyway, on the inbound, we paid an upgrade to change the flights and thought the fare upgrade would thereby earn 100% EQMs on the return - however it seems that although a difference in fare was paid, CO only sends over the original booked class to NW and despite several requests NW will not move on this.

So, given the cancelled e-ticket, the CO EQM's issue and being so close to the threshold and that it was earned in just 8 weeks, I was wondering if it were worth asking if NW consider an exception and still grant SE status for my partner.

Any thoughts on whom this could be direct to other than an online TTU? Fax it to the Elite Desk? Any other email contacts? Does stuff sent in writing by snailmail to the MN mailing address even get read or actioned?!

Happy Holidays and best wishes for 2009 to everyone!

Edited to add: All of the flights in the 8 week period were paid First Class with the exception of a couple of flights on CO that were booked in L. Not sure if that makes it a better chance for asking for an exception or not?

Last edited by SamuelS; Dec 28, 08 at 10:11 am
Old Dec 28, 08, 10:42 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You can hope your partner gets a reprieve from NW but no guarantees.

Or have them fly somewhere on a day trip. Not reaching the threshold means a real possibility of not receiving elite status.
Old Dec 28, 08, 8:55 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
An alternate solution, if they have a lot of travel in Jan-Feb09, requalify for SE through Feb2011 by getting 25K EQM or 30 EQS during that two month period.
Old Dec 28, 08, 9:55 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post
An alternate solution, if they have a lot of travel in Jan-Feb09, requalify for SE through Feb2011 by getting 25K EQM or 30 EQS during that two month period.
Good point. I leave Thursday on a trip designed to get me to PE for 2 years within 2 weeks.
Old Dec 29, 08, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
So far the word has been that they are making absolutely no exceptions due to the merger and high number of current elites. I would fly if you really want the status.
Old Dec 29, 08, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Good point. I leave Thursday on a trip designed to get me to PE for 2 years within 2 weeks.
We have seen your hella-MR and it is just plain scary. This coming from a 200K + per year guy. Your MR deserves a thread of its own when complete...good luck!

Old Dec 29, 08, 3:09 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
So far the word has been that they are making absolutely no exceptions due to the merger and high number of current elites.
*Shakes fist powerlessly at Delta and their @#$%@#$ EQM giveaways*
Old Dec 29, 08, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I flew 99 segments between mid January and the end of July. As of early December, I was still at 99. During that time, I had several flights cancelled between either DTW/LAN or DTW/FNT for mechanicals, weather, etc. In those cases, I just rented a car and drove. No big deal at the time, but now it became an issue. I contacted NW explaining all of this and asking for an exception to make me Plat, but was shot down in less than an hour. They said that they are making absolutely no exceptions at this time. So, realizing that I had a $300 bump voucher, the wife and I flew out to CA for a weekend. I used miles for her, the voucher for me. My ticket was $311 minus the voucher for a total of $11. The wife's ticket was $10. Both of us went to CA for $21 total, and I ended at 103 segments and Platinum again.

Of course, I just burned miles before the 3 tiered mileage redemption change, and booked 6 tickets to Maui in June for the wife and 4 kids. Grand total- $60 and 210K miles.
Old Dec 29, 08, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Partner should have easily qualifed, but I made the mistake of booking an L fare on CO for one of the non-F class fares. I didn't know at the time that if I would have been earning and burning on OnePass we'd have got 100% EQMs but on WorldPerks it was 50% EQM's, so that dinged us out of over 2k in EQMs

Then, the final trip of the year (we were supposed to go today) we cancelled yesterday due to weather issues and flight cancellations.

Weather here in Canada has been crazy this holiday season and trying to get decent fares on a last minute trip within next day or two is a moot point due to all the re-accommodations.

I was hoping NW might have a 'forgiveness' for cancelled flights or weather related issues given how close it was to the qualification and that most of the flights were full fare F. If they do, it'd definitely encourage my partner to steer flying to NW and partners rather than just booking lowest fare which might be AC/US etc.

I know that a lot of FT'ers have dim views of anyone getting any kind of a break (diluting the elite pool and all that) but the weather/cancellations of flights were outside of our control and the shortfall is very very small indeed so I don't feel as if we're trying to unfairly take advantage.

Final option is to ask if we can pull the miles from NW and instead credit them to CO (in which case it would be well over the Elite threshold) but I don't know if you can change the programme the miles go to after they have posted.
Old Dec 29, 08, 1:44 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles
just a thought

Sounds like he might be able to do a half miles and half paid fare that could push him over the top. I was lucky to see mine soon enough and got a cheap fare from MSP to SEA. I only needed 770 miles but got more than that for my troubles.

TG

Last edited by TravelGuy_2007; Dec 30, 08 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 29, 08, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Spend $25,000 on your Worldperks Visa by Wednesday?

A vacation to Singapore on a B fare will net you Silver elite in one trip. I might be doing that for the wife before her Silver expires at the end of Feb.
Old Dec 29, 08, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, there are some killer fares on NW right now for early 2009 ( in coach alas, so it would be doing it the 'hard way' ) from YYC. YYC-LAS via MSP is 4500 EQMs for $90 (CAD nonetheless!) e/way plus tax - about $296 CAD all-in. YYC-Florida about $80 more r/t.

Singapore sounds like fun, but B fares are pretty up there methinks?
Old Dec 29, 08, 5:36 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
Yeah, there are some killer fares on NW right now for early 2009 ( in coach alas, so it would be doing it the 'hard way' ) from YYC. YYC-LAS via MSP is 4500 EQMs for $90 (CAD nonetheless!) e/way plus tax - about $296 CAD all-in. YYC-Florida about $80 more r/t.

Singapore sounds like fun, but B fares are pretty up there methinks?
If your partner is requalifying for SE, then you'll both still be SE for travel in Jan-Feb09, however if not yet SE, then it will indeed be doing it the "hard way," basically all over again.

Edit:
NW was more lenient in years past when the majority of travel was full F and Y fares.

If you're both on the same tickets, at least your SE will get you better seats in the back of the plane, even if your partner isn't SE.

Last edited by ed1; Dec 29, 08 at 5:43 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: