Wiki Posts
Search

MSP to KOA advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
MSP to KOA advice

I'm a new gold elite with NW and I am planning a trip to Hawaii via Kona in March, leaving from cold cold MSP. I have two questions:

1. Anyone have an idea of what is a good fare? I see a Delta flight from MSP-LAX-KOA and same in reverse for about $650 per person. That is about the best I've seen-- most are $800-$1100. I'm tempted to book that. Any one have any experience with these fares-- I'm not sure if it will go much lower between now and then and I don't want to risk paying a lot.

2. Since I'm new to gold, I'm not sure how companion upgrades work. Do I really have any chance of getting my wife a free upgrade at the gate? If not, is it worth it to use miles to upgrade to first class for the flight?

Many thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
1. My general thinking is that if the price I see is in my price range, I grab it and take it.

2. I'm not sure how Gold companion upgrades work, but I just wanted to point out that no elites receive upgrades to/from Hawaii (unless they are Hawaii residents I think?).
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by LucWise
1. My general thinking is that if the price I see is in my price range, I grab it and take it.
I'd agree with this assessment. You can wait and hope for a better fare which may go or down depending on loads. If the price does go down, you can take solace in that the higher price is for peace of mind. For March--spring break travel I suppose?--it's an okay fare, but you never know.
Originally Posted by LucWise
2. I'm not sure how Gold companion upgrades work, but I just wanted to point out that no elites receive upgrades to/from Hawaii (unless they are Hawaii residents I think?).
Hawaii residents receive a limited number of space-available, capacity controlled upgrades. But yes, generally there's no elite upgrades on the overwater segment to Hawaii. So you can get a Gold companion upgrade (at the gate) for your companion on your MSP-West Coast flight and then no upgrades for the West Coast (SEA?)-KOA flight. Or, if you're flying MSP-HNL then HNL-KOA on HA, there'll be no comp upgrades for you or your companion on any flight.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:21 am
Original Poster

thanks

Thanks for the tips-- glad I asked! I'm going to book the $650 fare I think.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slippahs
So you can get a Gold companion upgrade (at the gate) for your companion on your MSP-West Coast flight and then no upgrades for the West Coast (SEA?)-KOA flight.
I would add that a gold companion upgrade to the west coast is very unlikely as well (though, in theory, possible).
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:40 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
I am a big fan of a paid ticket to HNL, OGG or KOA, then upgrading with miles.

~$700 for such a ticket is a good ballpark. Work with the Gold/Plat desk to find days where upgradable seats are available.

The 35,000 miles RT upgrade on a paid ticket to Hawaii is the best use of worldperks miles, if you ask me. Plus you earn some nice B-i-S miles along the way.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Hmm... that seems like a good idea too. I see on the NWA website that only NWA, Continental and KLM flights are upgradeable with worldperks miles. I don't have any Delta miles-- does that mean they are out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.