Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Routing diminishing for DL routing already.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.

Looking on nwa.com for my usual MKE>TPA trip the middle of January and find that all but one routing is with DL through ATL or CVG. One flight on NW is offered. I usually fly through MEM because it is faster. The DL flights are more frequent, but involve CRJ flights and in the case with the connection in CVG is all CRJ. That is not what I call a nice way to go.

It appears that ATL will be a lot busier with NW traffic out of MKE. And, if that is so, they will need to upgrade the equipment. Those RJs usually go out full now with just DL customers.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
I noticed the same thing, I usually fly MKE-GSO and with a connection in DTWflying on NW metal, now most of the routes that come up are MKE-ATL-GSO on DL. There still are some NW choices, but it is quickly drying up in Milwaukee.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
And the NW prices are higher too.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
It is very frustrating but the NW routings can be found, you almost have to force the system into doing search by schedule and doing multi-city just to get the exact flights you need.

DL - fix the booking engine to give us options over DTW & MSP !!!!

Often I'll get more routings over ATL and CVG than nonstops!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:10 pm

I think part of the issue is that NW planes are being pulled for a new paint job/interiors. More routes are going to the affiliates/ smaller planes. DL wants NW's planes painted over the next 18 months. I also understand that DL has stopped painting it's own planes to accomplish this.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by NWAFA
I think part of the issue is that NW planes are being pulled for a new paint job/interiors. More routes are going to the affiliates/ smaller planes. DL wants NW's planes painted over the next 18 months. I also understand that DL has stopped painting it's own planes to accomplish this.
I believe that Anderson has said that brand consistency was a top priority..prior to the merger, the priority was to get rid of the "Song" brand (there were some 757s left that were in the lime-green Song livery) and those 75s were prioritized for repainting. Now that that's done and the merger has happened, they are trying to get the one brand on to the NW planes (yes, yes, I know, people here won't be happy about that, but there's nothing much anyone can do about it at this point).
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by tvnwz
And the NW prices are higher too.
I just tried it for a 1/3 outbound and a 1/10 return-- about $50 cheaper to go on Delta metal via ATL....

MEM is still there, but pricy

but when you go to the Delta site, it doesn't show any NW flights.

Bob H
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ive always found the NW booking engine to be far more flexible than DL since DL imposes journey control. NW even allows three or four connections while DL would hardly allow this unless absolutely necessary. I understood tha DL was adopting NW's technology. Will this mean that journey control will stick around and that the inflexibility of DL's res systems will become more prevalent?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Wouldn't it be interesting if once again the government got in the business of breaking up companies to encourage competition in the marketplace? Yes, but as it is now, this is the kind of stuff we can expect as more businesses are allowed to grow through acquisition such as to make them "too big to be allowed to fail" by the government.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This is a minor problem, just as said in a previous post, you can book it by searching multi-city.

The nw booking engine is already far far better than DL's. You can book a lot of creative and interesting routings by playing with it. DL.com, on the other hand, almost can't do anything special.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Ive always found the NW booking engine to be far more flexible than DL since DL imposes journey control. NW even allows three or four connections while DL would hardly allow this unless absolutely necessary. I understood tha DL was adopting NW's technology. Will this mean that journey control will stick around and that the inflexibility of DL's res systems will become more prevalent?
If Delta thinks that journey control is making them more money then it will stick around. It's funny that I have read a lot about journey control and never not been able to book any exact routing that I wanted with Delta.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wouldn't it be interesting if once again the government got in the business of breaking up companies to encourage competition in the marketplace? Yes, but as it is now, this is the kind of stuff we can expect as more businesses are allowed to grow through acquisition such as to make them "too big to be allowed to fail" by the government.
You think the new Delta is a monopoly? It isn't even close to anything that the government has ever broke up. If this merger hadn't happened, a major airline would have failed and sooner than later. A major may still fail and don't look for a government bailout. While I agree that air travel is a critical component of the economy, the average American would not.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I've noticed the same thing in CLT as well. NW.COM is spitting out a majority of DL only metal routing structures, and it takes a good bit of tinkering to get NW only metal. As an aside, Mrs. Gtitan, and NW SE, just had her first solo all DL metal series of flights and was not impressed with ATL or the CRCs and said that she found the NW staff and DTW preferable. These are interesting times indeed.

Safe Travels.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by indufan
You think the new Delta is a monopoly?
An absolute monopoly hold isn't required for the government to get involved.

It isn't even close to anything that the government has ever broke up.
False.

If this merger hadn't happened, a major airline would have failed and sooner than later. A major may still fail and don't look for a government bailout. While I agree that air travel is a critical component of the economy, the average American would not.
They will be out with the begging bowls again too.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA
Any planes being re-painted or receiving interior upgrades has nothing to do with the routings being displayed for sale on nwa.com or delta.com. Nothing.

If this merger hadn't happened, a major airline would have failed and sooner than later.
Perhaps, but neither Delta nor Northwest would have been the airline to have failed. Delta and Northwest were arguably the two strongest airlines going into this merger and several others would have failed first, regardless of the merger.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
An absolute monopoly hold isn't required for the government to get involved.
Agreed. But the airline industry isn't anything even close.
False.
Care to give me an example?
They will be out with the begging bowls again too.
You are probably right. But they will get rejected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.