Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Delta Flights - Better to Book with DL or NW?

Old Dec 26, 08, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

Found R/T flights completely on Delta that are available on both the Delta and Northwest websites at the same price.

As a NW Platinum, flying with a NW Gold, would it be better, for potential upgrade purposes, to book with Delta or Northwest. We have no status with DL. Should I book one reservation for both of us or book separate reservations?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 26, 08, 12:52 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
This is an interesting question as I'm faced with the same scenario.

Also, for 2010 re-qualification is it best to keep all EQM/MQM in one program, or do you folks feel they might combine them for next year's status qualification?
Old Dec 26, 08, 2:57 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Book on Delta.com to avoid the current Delta IT bug where some NW-issued tickets for DL flights can't do OLCI or kiosk check-in.

Put your NW# on the reservation at delta.com. As of about a month or so ago delta.com lets you add/change FF#s for its partners.

Upgrades will be based on your NW Platinum status for you and Gold for companion.

Put all the 2009 DL and NW trips into one program, DL or NW, not both. Given you have NW status now, you'll get the RDM bonus for the DL flights, which you would not get if you credited them to your non-status DL account.
Old Dec 26, 08, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkXS View Post

Upgrades will be based on your NW Platinum status for you and Gold for companion.
Thanks Mark. Is this true if we are on the same reservation, or will we both be placed in the "Gold" queue for early upgrades?
Old Dec 26, 08, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by MarkXS View Post
Book on Delta.com to avoid the current Delta IT bug where some NW-issued tickets for DL flights can't do OLCI or kiosk check-in.

Put your NW# on the reservation at delta.com. As of about a month or so ago delta.com lets you add/change FF#s for its partners.

Put all the 2009 DL and NW trips into one program, DL or NW, not both. Given you have NW status now, you'll get the RDM bonus for the DL flights, which you would not get if you credited them to your non-status DL account.
That did not work for me, and I am not sure OP can get around it. Booked CLT-LAS on DL.COM all DL metal. Could not do OLCI. I believe that if you get upgraded (as I was) that screws OLCI up and right now there is no fix. Reminds me of my former firm's technology update of a few years back where the motto was "Temporarily inconvenienced to be permanently improved."

Safe Travels!
Old Dec 26, 08, 4:11 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Thanks! I'll keep booking with NW then and keep all my flights on my WP number. The other benefit is the WP Visa and the bonus miles for that too.
Old Dec 26, 08, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP; WN A-List; Hyatt Expl; MR/CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lotalota View Post
Thanks! I'll keep booking with NW then and keep all my flights on my WP number. The other benefit is the WP Visa and the bonus miles for that too.
If you use an American Express Business card you get a 3% cash discount on DL purchases.
Old Dec 26, 08, 5:40 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So no AMEX discount on NWA.com purchase yet, right?
Old Dec 29, 08, 10:08 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
If you book on nwa.com, then you get to talk with the WP elite CS Chisholm center if you have any issues with the flight. I am SOOOOOO glad I did that on my recent Christmas trip, as the DL agents would do nothing to protect me with another flight when my connections got screwed up due to a 3 hr delay (a double mechanical problem) on my DL flight on 12/23. DL said they could get me to my destination 3 days later, but NW PE line put me on the very next flight (which was the next morning, albeit making me go to ATL too!). Neither the DL gate agents nor their elite line would do that.
Old Dec 29, 08, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robbert View Post
If you use an American Express Business card you get a 3% cash discount on DL purchases.
Ooo... nice.... too bad Delta won't let me book any flights out of EAU though.
Old Dec 29, 08, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Booking on Delta.com doesn't help e-check in if you get upgraded. I booked a dozen flights for weekly travel on Delta.com...now that we can get upgraded using our NW number, I can no longer check-in online.
Old Jan 5, 09, 9:59 am

Programs: NWA, UA, CO
Originally Posted by yogimax View Post
Found R/T flights completely on Delta that are available on both the Delta and Northwest websites at the same price.

As a NW Platinum, flying with a NW Gold, would it be better, for potential upgrade purposes, to book with Delta or Northwest. We have no status with DL. Should I book one reservation for both of us or book separate reservations?

Thanks for the help!
Book only on NWA.com. The upgrade scenario on 006 tickets is difficult if not impossible for Platinums. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...grades-dl.html for additional details.
Old Jan 5, 09, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice View Post
Booking on Delta.com doesn't help e-check in if you get upgraded. I booked a dozen flights for weekly travel on Delta.com...now that we can get upgraded using our NW number, I can no longer check-in online.
Got upgraded with 006 stock with 5 days out, no problem. However, as reported by others, can't check-in. This is so idiotic, and should be a quick fix for DL!
Old Jan 5, 09, 10:22 am

Programs: NWA, UA, CO
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Got upgraded with 006 stock with 5 days out, no problem. However, as reported by others, can't check-in. This is so idiotic, and should be a quick fix for DL!
It's important for others to be aware that upgrades don't necessarily occur five days out on all fare basis. A SkyMiles(R) Elite contact in Atlanta stated that "T" class and other discounted fares are technically supposed to be upgraded 24 hours prior to departure. Additionally, according to Vanessa Banks, gate area supervisor DCA, if there are seats to sell, Delta maintains the right to sell those up to 15 minutes before departure before upgrading premium passengers such as NW Platinums*. For additional detail see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...grades-dl.html
Old Jan 5, 09, 2:20 pm

Programs: NW World Perks (Silver) 250K, Delta SkyMiles 50K, USAir Dividend Miles 40K
I might have answered my own question (put in another recent thread) on DL vs NW in 2009.

If I start over with DL EQM in 2009, I don't get the 50% Gold bonus (until 2/28, and then 25% SE Bonus) banked miles from being a NW Gold/Silver, do I?

The systems are not that integrated yet, correct?

Search this Thread