how to upgrade from Y if not Elite

Old Dec 24, 08, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT PLT), HH DMD, MAR PLT
how to upgrade from Y if not Elite

I may just be getting greedy, but figured it was worth a shot. AA canceled my flights from DCA-ORD-AZO tomorrow. I got AA to reroute me BWI-DTW on NWA. AA rebooked me on NWA in Y. I can view my reservation at NWA.com and select a seat assignment in coach. Any chance I get up into F given that the system shows me as Y or am i not eligible?

TIA
Old Dec 24, 08, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ross0 View Post
I may just be getting greedy, but figured it was worth a shot. AA canceled my flights from DCA-ORD-AZO tomorrow. I got AA to reroute me BWI-DTW on NWA. AA rebooked me on NWA in Y. I can view my reservation at NWA.com and select a seat assignment in coach. Any chance I get up into F given that the system shows me as Y or am i not eligible?

TIA
try and get a quick status match, that should get you up in F quickly from a Y fare.
Old Dec 24, 08, 4:11 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
i'm pretty sure a Y class like this counts as a "free ticket", so even if you got a status match you still might not get the upgrade.

I remember a few years back, NW had to put me on a All Nippon Air Flight from NRT to CAN, because of a delay, and i had at the time United 1p, first class was pretty empty, but no upgrades. (maybe that's just because ANA has different upgrade rules)
Old Dec 24, 08, 4:53 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Since it does not sound like you are flying on a full fare Y ticket, only that AA booked you in Y as an involuntary reroute, I doubt you would receive any upgrade courtesies. Not sure how AA works, but in the past when NW has cancelled a flight and rebooked me as a courtesy on a competitor's non-stop flight in Y, I have had good luck calling back NW elite services and asking them if they could reroute me in F on an alternative NW itinerary instead of rerouting me on another carrier. (Maybe you could call AA and have them route you that way as well). Alternately, if you truly are flying on an endorseable full fare Y ticket, I'd call NW reservations directly and ask them for assistance as I believe a colleague once told me they may sometimes provide purchaseable/complimentary upgrades on full Y tickets to non-elites within the 24 hour window. Maybe they will offer that with online checkin-- you can always try and see, then cancel the check-in if it does not work out.

Search this Thread