First upgrade!

Old Dec 23, 08, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum Premier & Lifetime Platinum, United Gold, Delta Silver
First upgrade!

I am taking my first flight as an NW Silver Elite on NW metal (my status was earned on DL and KLM) and I was upgraded from B to F 15 days in advance! I am very excited about my first upgrade but confused as to why this was upgraded so far in advance? I thought Silvers were upgraded only 24 hours in advance? Perhaps this is an early Christmas present from NW or my corporate travel department?
Old Dec 23, 08, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306 View Post
I was upgraded from B to F 15 days in advance! I am very excited about my first upgrade but confused as to why this was upgraded so far in advance? I thought Silvers were upgraded only 24 hours in advance?
Y and B fares upgrade immediately, so long as there is availability. The discount fare codes are subject to the 5/3/1 process, see here:

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/upgradetips.shtml

So long as your travel dept keeps picking up Y and B fares for you, and they always book your flights at least 6 days in advance, you'll be trumping Plats most of the time!

Enjoy your flight!!

Last edited by td_in_training; Dec 23, 08 at 9:47 am Reason: fix link
Old Dec 23, 08, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Airtran Elite, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle, SPG PLAT; Hilton Gold
Greetings and welcome to the Elite Ranks

most likely you were upgraded due to the fact that you were on a "B" fare. Many "B" class fares as well as Y class include a provision for automatic upgrade at time of booking due to their high cost factors. If you are NW elite of any kind this happens automatically as you are thrown in the "F" or "P" upgrade buckets and not the standard "R" bucket.

its first come first serve and availablility. NO matter whether you are silver gold or plat. if you are silver and book one of these fares ahead of the PLAT upgrade window your chances of not getting and upgrade are very slim.

enjoy and welcome!
Old Dec 23, 08, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Hopefully the first of many! Happy holidays!

Search this Thread