What's up with MHT?

Old Dec 22, 08, 9:21 am
Original Poster

What's up with MHT?

Has NWA cut back on MHT? I have to admit that I have not paid attention for a little while, but I started paying attention when they changed my reservation today.

I just checked DTW-MHT flights for 2/13/09 and 2/14. Only two flights per day, both on DC9s.

No morning flight whatsoever.

What's going on? There used to be several flights per day, all of which were A319s.

I also noticed that on 2/14, from MSP-DTW 7 of the 13 scheduled flights are on DC9s. Only 2 on 757s. 3 on A320s and 1 on a CR9.

I like the frequency, but that's a lot of small planes flying from hub to hub.
Old Dec 22, 08, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by kilarney View Post
Has NWA cut back on MHT? I have to admit that I have not paid attention for a little while, but I started paying attention when they changed my reservation today.

I just checked DTW-MHT flights for 2/13/09 and 2/14. Only two flights per day, both on DC9s.

No morning flight whatsoever.

What's going on? There used to be several flights per day, all of which were A319s.

I also noticed that on 2/14, from MSP-DTW 7 of the 13 scheduled flights are on DC9s. Only 2 on 757s. 3 on A320s and 1 on a CR9.

I like the frequency, but that's a lot of small planes flying from hub to hub.

This is the normal winter cut-back.
Old Dec 22, 08, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
This is the normal winter cut-back.
I'm wondering if it isn't something more. I've flown this route many times on an A319 in the winter, and until today, I was scheduled to do just that.
Old Dec 22, 08, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering if it isn't something more. I've flown this route many times on an A319 in the winter, and until today, I was scheduled to do just that.
Last year they alternated 319's and '9s on certain days. I think it is slightly more conservative but I have been flying out of MHT for 10 years and there is always some reduction.
Old Dec 22, 08, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I just plugged in a few random dates, and it looks like it's all DC9-50's flying DTW-MHT.

This is actually an upgrade—the 319 has 124 seats, the D95 has 125.

Though I understand it's not a comfort upgrade, so my condolences
Old Dec 22, 08, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Last March I know there were only two daily DC-9-30 flights between DTW and MSP. There was also the CRJ-900/EMB-175 over to MSP in the late afternoon as well.
Old Dec 22, 08, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
it's more cutback than usual ... I used to fly out of MHT a lot, but not anymore.
Old Dec 22, 08, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

What's odd is that they don't seem to be shifting traffic to Delta hubs.

Using 2/13/09 and 2/14/09 as test dates, there is only one flight ATL-MHT flight per day on a CRJ700 and I don't see any CVG-MHT direct flights.

I'm even more surprised since Southwest doesn't fly DTW-MHT without a stop in Baltimore.
Old Dec 22, 08, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
ATL-MHT was cut down to one CRJ-700 a day about a year ago. CVG-MHT was announced to be ax'd a month or two ago.

To remember the good ol' days when DL had 3x MD-88 to ATL, 2x MD-88 and 2x CRJ to CVG and 3x CRJ to LGA, plus NW had 5x DC-9/A319/A320 to DTW and a 319 (or CRJ, depending on season) to MSP.
Old Dec 22, 08, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
To remember the good ol' days when DL had 3x MD-88 to ATL, 2x MD-88 and 2x CRJ to CVG and 3x CRJ to LGA, plus NW had 5x DC-9/A319/A320 to DTW and a 319 (or CRJ, depending on season) to MSP.
Phew. I'm glad my memory was accurate.

So why the slow and steady abandoning of MHT? Any theories?

I'm actually a little nervous. DTW-MHT is the last leg of a three leg trip. If I miss that flight, the next DTW-MHT flight isn't until 1:30pm the next day! Since I'll be connecting in MSP and DTW in the middle of winter, there's a pretty good chance that something could get delayed.
Old Dec 22, 08, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So why the slow and steady abandoning of MHT? Any theories?
Growth in Southwest passenger numbers, I suspect. Southwest non-stops from MHT, January '09 schedule:

PHL 6x
BWI 10x
LAS 1x
PHX 1x
MCO 4x
TPA 2x
FLL 1x

That's 25 737s daily.
Old Dec 22, 08, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Growth in Southwest passenger numbers, I suspect. Southwest non-stops from MHT, January '09 schedule:

PHL 6x
BWI 10x
LAS 1x
PHX 1x
MCO 4x
TPA 2x
FLL 1x

That's 25 737s daily.
And a general downturn in biz travel. These winter schedule contractions have been around forever but the reality is they can't fill planes so they are cutting back even further. I would not read anything other than that into it.
Old Dec 23, 08, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Wow. As someone who rarely flies Southwest, I hadn't noticed how much they've increased capacity at MHT.

I wonder how much of the decrease at MHT is due to Delta's preference for international routes with feeders to those hubs. The only problem is that MHT isn't really part of the feeder strategy. There is no flight to JFK. Not even one flight to connect with the evening departures to Europe.

I suppose that being so close to Boston, most people wouldn't want to do an MHT-JFK-Europe routing when they could fly direct to most cities from BOS.

I live well north of MHT. I've always preferred the convenience of MHT versus the headache of Logan. I'd gladly take an extra connection to avoid driving to BOS. But I'm admittedly not a city person, and most passengers out of MHT live south of MHT.
Old Jan 4, 09, 1:25 pm

I've been thinking about this route today. We take it a lot as my mother-in-law lives an hour from both MHT and BOS, and of the two, MHT is considerably easier to get into and out of (and when she comes to see us, closer to her office and closer to park at). Our flights back and forth to MHT-MSP are always COMPLETELY full (at pretty hefty price tags), but do we think this is one of the routes DL might cut?
Old Jun 6, 09, 11:19 am

Looks like MSP-MHT direct is being cancelled. I went to check-in for my flight back to MSP tomorrow and noticed my August flights said MSP-DTW rather than MSP-MHT.... and if it's cancelled in August, I don't think we are ever getting it back.

Search this Thread