Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close but no cigar?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: FSD - Now 4 airlines out of city, AA recently added flights to DFW and ORD
Programs: United MP 1K, NW/Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Close but no cigar?

With only 2 weeks to go in the calendar year, I'm 3 segments short of hitting Gold status on NW before the end of the calendar year. I called World Perks to see whether there was anything I could do, since I've had pretty good luck with upgrades since becoming Silver earlier this year, and have also had good luck with minimal flight delays on NW. They said that they may offer some sort of plan to people who are close to reaching the next level. First, has anyone heard of this type of offer? Also, I've booked another trip on NW for the first week in January, which will put me over the 60 segments. Since the trip was booked and paid for this year yet, might I get credit for it on this year's WP totals?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Re: your last question, the answer would be "no". As for whether they will do anything special - if you are a high spend customer, perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it. Take a quick round-trip to Chicago via MSP or something, that's about the only way you will guarantee it.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ATSgrl
With only 2 weeks to go in the calendar year, I'm 3 segments short of hitting Gold status on NW before the end of the calendar year. I called World Perks to see whether there was anything I could do, since I've had pretty good luck with upgrades since becoming Silver earlier this year, and have also had good luck with minimal flight delays on NW. They said that they may offer some sort of plan to people who are close to reaching the next level. First, has anyone heard of this type of offer? Also, I've booked another trip on NW for the first week in January, which will put me over the 60 segments. Since the trip was booked and paid for this year yet, might I get credit for it on this year's WP totals?
I would be looking at some mileage runs--or segment runs. One option since you have 3 flights booked is to try to see if you can add an extra stop. For instance connect in Detroit and Minneapolis. Or just add an extra trip with at least one connection. That will get you 3 segments.

And, as to your other question. No, you cannot get credit this year for a flight next year. It is credited when you actually fly.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Location: FSD - Now 4 airlines out of city, AA recently added flights to DFW and ORD
Programs: United MP 1K, NW/Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
okay ...

Then I need to ask about mileage/segment runs. I'm going to be 3 segments short with my current work travel plans as of 12/31. I admit I don't know anything about these runs ... am thinking about a quick FSD - DTW and back on NW on evening of 12/26, fly back early a.m. 12/26 (spend about 5+ hours at DTW), would get me 4 segments for the cost of $149 + 25,000 miles, which seems pretty reasonable. Would this be considered a mileage run?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Then I need to ask about mileage/segment runs. I'm going to be 3 segments short with my current work travel plans as of 12/31. I admit I don't know anything about these runs ... am thinking about a quick FSD - DTW and back on NW on evening of 12/26, fly back early a.m. 12/26 (spend about 5+ hours at DTW), would get me 4 segments for the cost of $149 + 25,000 miles, which seems pretty reasonable. Would this be considered a mileage run?
What type of rate are you booking for $149 + 25,000? Check the T&C's. I am not sure that you would earn anything.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Mileage run

That would be a Perk Choice, using 25,000 miles + cash. It says that I'd only earn miles for the cash portion, which would be FSD to DTW, and use the 25,000 miles for DTW to FSD, so I wouldn't earn miles for the return trip ... does that mean I wouldn't earn segments as well?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
That would be a Perk Choice, using 25,000 miles + cash. It says that I'd only earn miles for the cash portion, which would be FSD to DTW, and use the 25,000 miles for DTW to FSD, so I wouldn't earn miles for the return trip ... does that mean I wouldn't earn segments as well?
If your trip is 2 segments each way, you will earn miles + segments only on the paid portion, making you still 1 segment short.

You will need to purchase a 3 segment trip in order to earn 3 segments...
Plus this looks to me like a real waste of miles, but perhaps you have loads of them... try looking at Farecompare from your departure city for bargains.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you can pretty much assume it won't earn segments if it doesn't earn miles (even though it's not explicitly spelled out in the T&C's).
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Gold
no need to waste 25K in miles (given that's a free domestic ticket right there). if you spend an extra $100, you can get a FSD-MSP-MDW/ORD-MSP-FSD ticket...4 segments right there. i'm seeing availability on the 24th and 25th
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:51 am

also roughly $225-$255 from FSD to DSM (des moines), RST (rochester), STC (st. cloud), MCW (mason city), STL, etc...just about anything in the area
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I think I need to scrap the miles + cash option and just find a cheap flight with 4 segs and quick turnaround ... do the airlines or TSA watch these things? Like, if I spend 6 hours hanging out and catching a few zzz's in an airport without going out and back through security, would that be a red flag?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:23 am

Yeah, I think I need to scrap the miles + cash option and just find a cheap flight with 4 segs and quick turnaround ... do the airlines or TSA watch these things? Like, if I spend 6 hours hanging out and catching a few zzz's in an airport without going out and back through security, would that be a red flag?
nah, can't imagine so...otherwise a lot of FT folks would be in some serious trouble

another option is to drive to say rochester or mason city, leave your car there and fly "home"...next day get a ride to the airport, fly to your car, and drive home! in the end, it's basically a choice between sleeping at the airport for 6 hours or sleeping at your own home with 6 hours of driving before and after
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Seems like just about anything would route you thru MSP ~ so there's 4 segments .. I'd ignore CPM & go for the absolute cheapest (ICT $192?) you can book.

For your purposes today, Cash&Miles is a loser.
/.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Okay then ...

Madison, WI, it is. Got it for $215, 3 of 4 flights on larger planes, i.e., potential for upgrades. Should be a smaller, safer airport in which to hang out for a few hours (arrive at 11:45 p.m. Friday night, leave at 6:55 a.m. the next morning). The only variable will be the weather, which is a factor flying anywhere in the upper midwest in December.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. If anybody passes through Madision, WI that night, look me up - I'll be hanging out with my laptop.

I hope you all have a happy holiday season!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Sounds like the makings of an MSN mini-DO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.