Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

When did you begin to suspect you were flying NW a little too much?

When did you begin to suspect you were flying NW a little too much?

Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Question When did you begin to suspect you were flying NW a little too much?

Other forums here have "You know you fly (carrier) too much" threads, but I didn't see one for Northwest. Since we're going through the merger, I've chosen to title this one in a gentle past tense. But anyway... so, when did you begin to suspect this?

I've thought over a bunch of things I've encountered that were a little unusual. Not all of them were specifically due to "flying NW a little too much" - some could also be blamed on being a FTer, and others on doing things that gave NWA reason to believe I might have LTV that wasn't flat-out awful. But there are some that are really "familiarity breeds..." so I narrowed it down a little.

My first time: GA got on the plane to hand over the paperwork before closing the flight, pointed me out to the purser, told them to take good care of me, and gave me a hug goodbye.

My latest reminder: FA came by my seat and whispered how annoying it is to get the 2L jumpseat and have to listen to a silver elite in the exit seat gab about how they know everything and are all that. (On the same flight, at least 2 passengers asked me to help them with things, having apparently decided that I was just out of uniform...)
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: NW Plat, DL Silver
When I tried to login to my bank's website and realized, after many failed attempts, that I was entering my 9 digit WP number in the (also 9 digit) social security number field!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Pre-9/11, had a boarding pass from one segment, however no ticket stup (before etickets as we know today), was about to board and was pulled aside, GA or supervisor looked at me, typed something and said to the effect, "ah, Mr. Hooverer, not a problem, we will clear it up, please go ahead and take your usual seat and have a nice..."

Another, e-tickets were new, a GA could not find my reservation reservation, remembering what another GA had told me recently, mentioned a cryptic code + WP number + something else, and everything for my reservation came up including upgrade and all was well, needless to say, had to explain how I new the commands.

Another, similar to above however on DL, an agent had told me how to "hook" or when to mention the term to a GA, it worked, ah, the days before e-tickets as we know now.

On-board, woke up from a power nap to find white linen towel on my right shoulder as I was in the shakespere set, realizing that I may have been snoring and the FAs were concerned about my nap, after getting up and going to rest room to freshen up, saw the FA in FC sitting in 1B on break, went to gally and poured and served the FA Coffee as well as a few others in the near empty front cabin.

-H
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
FA's stopping me in the MSP airport to see how I am doing and where I am off to this time..........the FA who brought me "my regular" drink without even asking what I would have...The Boston based FA who now keeps counts how many times we have flown together!

My favorite used to be when I was flying out of BGM (before moving to MSP) and the ground crew who would wave to me if they saw me looking out the window when they were marsalling the plane/bringing in the jet bridge.

Know its not NW but my favorite yet is when the TSA folks at the Skyway at MSP noticed I got new luggage and told me they liked the pattern on the old one better...

Gag my life is sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Oh yeah and when I educated the WC staff a couple weeks ago about being able to gift someone Silver Elite once you cross a certain number of miles in a year..........
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
My favorite used to be when I was flying out of BGM (before moving to MSP) and the ground crew who would wave to me if they saw me looking out the window when they were marsalling the plane/bringing in the jet bridge.
Ah! BGM! A former upstate-NYer!

Similarly when the NW staff at ELM and BGM started asking me how quickly I had made the drive from ITH! Catching the 6 am flights out of either I can make some REALLY good time from ITH since no other road traffic!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Once I flew on a A319 from LAX to Mem. That's when I knew I flew NW way too much.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:53 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I know I'm flying to much when I come in the door to my favorite WorldClub and the agents there greet me by name... and then ask how my mom is doing

and another when the Purser asked me if I'd like my usual White Russian... which he remembered from a month or two previous...
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Where do I start? Was it when the agents at my home airport said they would just "trust me" for my China visa? Or when I started asking agents about which crew members would serve which section of BF? When an agent at PVG started recognizing me by name? All I know is that for me it is the people that made the red tail the best way to cross the Pacific.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Several times I intended to visit nba.com for the latest basketball news, and I ended up at nwa.com.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
1) the time my MSP-SDF was cancelled and I recited from memory the alternate connections with times for my preferred re-route.

2) when I joined a conversation between a GA and another pax who was also taking a VDB (SFO-MSP); after a minute or two the GA said to the pax something along the lines of 'this gentleman can help you decide what you want to do while I finish closing the flight.'
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:19 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Once, I was rerouted - VDB, I think - and when the GA tried to get me an exit row seat on the later flight, she said that her computer wasn't allowing her to assign the exit rows, since she wasn't handling that particular flight. I had my laptop booted up - I said - nevermind, I can get the exit row seat online - hang on a second. She said - WOW! - you did it! - and she printed out my new BP!!!

Last week, leaving PIT for MEX, one of the GA's I know - FROM MEX - I handed her my BP and said, "Do you see where I'm going?" - She replied - "I know, say hi to my kids!!"

CO story - but, oh well . . .
PIT/EWR - monitor at gate showing on time. My Blackberry showing a delay, I asked the GA about the delay - she said, there isn't a delay - it's on time, but let me make a call. After the call, she said - you're right, it's delayed!!!

I'm sure I have a hundred other stories, but these are the first few that come to mind! (I'm known as a storyteller, so I'm sure I'll add to this when I remember more!)
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm sure I have a hundred other stories, but these are the first few that come to mind! (I'm known as a storyteller, so I'm sure I'll add to this when I remember more!)
I've got quite a few too, but didn't want to list them all, so I only went with the first and latest for starters.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
That I can recite the entire safety speech, and when I fly other airlines, I get upset that it isn't the same as NWA
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by thezipper
I know I'm flying to much when I come in the door to my favorite WorldClub and the agents there greet me by name... and then ask how my mom is doing

and another when the Purser asked me if I'd like my usual White Russian... which he remembered from a month or two previous...
Funny, the DCA WorldClub agents always ask about my mom too! I think they are trying to tell us they like our parents better! Some more favorites from that club "... you haven't been flying much on Friday's recently, did you get a new job?" and "Would you like your usual Heinkein"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.