Original Routing Credit with VDB?

Old Dec 15, 08, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Original Routing Credit with VDB?

I'm flying back from SFO on Thursday PM, and my flight has been zeroed out for 2 weeks now. I'd love to take a VDB to get the voucher, but need the miles of my current routing (SFO-ATL-DTW-MSN) to make it back to Plat next year. I'm guessing that if I take the bump, they won't want to re-route me the long way, and that if I insist, they may look for someone else to bump.

Anyone have experience with Original Routine Credits after a VDB? I should mention that the first 2 legs are on DL, but that it's getting credited to WP (obviously).
Old Dec 15, 08, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Yes, you can get the mileage credit for the original routing. We've done it many times.

Try to save copies of everything (old/new boarding passes, itins, bump/voucher info, etc.). I always fax it into the elite line w/ a detailed cover letter showing exactly what mileage I want.

Good luck on the bump! We missed out on our last one (most likely 2x$400) because the GA would have had to change an unrelated itin as well. Someobody probably ended up IDB'd instead.
Old Dec 15, 08, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
Yes, you can get the mileage credit for the original routing. We've done it many times.

Try to save copies of everything (old/new boarding passes, itins, bump/voucher info, etc.). I always fax it into the elite line w/ a detailed cover letter showing exactly what mileage I want.

Good luck on the bump! We missed out on our last one (most likely 2x$400) because the GA would have had to change an unrelated itin as well. Someobody probably ended up IDB'd instead.
Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

We'll see what happens, but this is for the Thursday PM SFO-ATL redeye on a 757. It's been showing all zeros with the occasional Y1 thrown in there for over 2 weeks now, and right now everything out of SFO, including flights to DTW, EWR, MSP and JFK look pretty darn full.
Old Dec 15, 08, 7:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

We'll see what happens, but this is for the Thursday PM SFO-ATL redeye on a 757. It's been showing all zeros with the occasional Y1 thrown in there for over 2 weeks now, and right now everything out of SFO, including flights to DTW, EWR, MSP and JFK look pretty darn full.
Actually, if you get rebooked on a VDB often you are rebooked into full Y and get more miles due to the 50% bonus EQM. In fact in October I was bumped PHX-MSP on an award ticket, was rerouted via DTW in Y class and earned over 7K banked miles
Old Dec 15, 08, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti View Post
Actually, if you get rebooked on a VDB often you are rebooked into full Y and get more miles due to the 50% bonus EQM. In fact in October I was bumped PHX-MSP on an award ticket, was rerouted via DTW in Y class and earned over 7K banked miles
Nice! My experience with this has been hit and miss. I have gotten the COS bonus when standing by for an earlier flight, but have also not gotten it after being rebooked after a bump. Plus, I have no idea how DL would handle that!
Old Dec 15, 08, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Just to add one more voice, I've done the same thing. VDB'ed off DL ATL-SDQ, got routed through MIA on AA. I just faxed in my BP's to the elite line and the original miles were credited in a half hour.

Plus, I somehow ended up with the rerouted miles in my AAdvantage account
Old Dec 15, 08, 8:40 pm

FYI— I just did the calculations:

SFO-ATL-DTW-MSN is 3226 miles.

SFO-MSP-MSN (the most direct NW/DL route they could put you on) is still 3140 if you get rebooked in Y. So I don't know how close you are, but you may not need original credit.

Or, if you need those last 86 miles, you could check availability and give the GA flight numbers of a routing through DTW or CVG. I can't imagine them saying no.
Old Dec 15, 08, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
FYI— I just did the calculations:

SFO-ATL-DTW-MSN is 3226 miles.

SFO-MSP-MSN (the most direct NW/DL route they could put you on) is still 3140 if you get rebooked in Y. So I don't know how close you are, but you may not need original credit.

Or, if you need those last 86 miles, you could check availability and give the GA flight numbers of a routing through DTW or CVG. I can't imagine them saying no.
But that assumes that you get the credit for Y fare class, which in my experience is far from a guarantee. I wouldn't want to risk saying yes to the shorter routing, only to have it not post as full Y and not be able to get the ORC. Now that I know that the ORC would be no big deal, I'd take whatever routing they could get me home on (in F, of course ). Also, looking at availability, most flights out of SFO the next morning on DL and NW are booked solid as well. Can anyone say "Double Bump"?

I do have a backup in the 60k level EEP EQMs I can use, but I was hoping to save those to get a jump start for next year.
Old Dec 15, 08, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
But that assumes that you get the credit for Y fare class, which in my experience is far from a guarantee. I wouldn't want to risk saying yes to the shorter routing, only to have it not post as full Y and not be able to get the ORC. Now that I know that the ORC would be no big deal, I'd take whatever routing they could get me home on (in F, of course ). Also, looking at availability, most flights out of SFO the next morning on DL and NW are booked solid as well. Can anyone say "Double Bump"?

I do have a backup in the 60k level EEP EQMs I can use, but I was hoping to save those to get a jump start for next year.
Usually you will not get the credit for Y class on NW tickets unless you originally were booked in Y. NW tracks fare paid vs. fare flown.

If you're bumped on a DL ticket, you're often rebooked in Y & DL reports only that fare class, which NW pickes up as both fare paid & fare flown. However, if you call their attention to it for any reason & NW actually looks at the DL itinerary, it might be reentered "correctly" according to the NW way of doing things.
Old Dec 16, 08, 12:51 am

Sorry— I wasn't quite clear. I meant that you can take the shorter routing, if it got booked into Y, great— you saved yourself the step of requesting ORC.

Either way, you're golden. Make sure to let us know how the bump goes
Old Dec 16, 08, 1:26 am
Suspended

What of hyou were booked in W (Award ticket) and took a bump? Do you get credit for the flights on which you are booked after the bump?
Old Dec 16, 08, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver (MM), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat. Always somewhere, never anywhere...
What I have found with NW is that if you take a bump or get rebooked onto a flight between the same city pairs with the same connections then your originally paid fare class will remain in tact and will post to the WorldPerks system. If your flights are changed at all you are generally rebooked into "Y" by the gate agent and the flights will post as "Y". Of course, the gate agent is within their right to rebook you directly into the class of service your ticket is in (e.g. "V") at which case you will only earn miles for paying "V" class.

Example: book "V" DTW-SEA. Take a bump in DTW and get re-routed DTW-MEM/MSP-SEA. You'll find that the flights should post in "Y" assuming that's what the gate agent rebooked you in. Of course, if they rebook you straight into "P" or "F" you'll also earn the 150% EQM. However, if you are rebooked on a later DTW-SEA direct flight, it doesn't matter what the gate agent does your original "V" class will likely follow you - even if the gate agent books you straight into "F".

NWA has the best IT systems out there of any major carrier and this is one thing they've spent a little time working on.

PS - last bump I took on NW was MSP-SEA. They rebooked me MSP-SLC(NW)-SEA(DL) into "F" on both flights. Both flights posted as "F" and gave me the 150% EQM.

On the other hand, I misconnected in AMS last week. MSP-AMS arrived an hour late so I missed AMS-BCN. I was rebooked automatically by someone and NW has retained my original fare class of "V" when it posted. No big deal to me as I'm already over 200K EQM for the year.

-RM
Old Dec 16, 08, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM & MM, UA 1K, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Yes, but don't count on it. This happened to me once which was a nice EQM boost, but my last three VDB's they simply rebooked the "flown class", thus no bonus EQM's (though the auto UG was nice).
Old Dec 16, 08, 10:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
What of hyou were booked in W (Award ticket) and took a bump? Do you get credit for the flights on which you are booked after the bump?
See my Post #4 above.

Certainly I was not "counting on it" but it is a nice surprise.
Old Dec 16, 08, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I'm not going to count on it, but one point here: This is a DL booked ticket that I'm crediting to WP. So NW really doesn't know what the paid fare is, I don't think.

Search this Thread