FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   SEA-PEK Cancelled [12/2008] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/899013-sea-pek-cancelled-12-2008-a.html)

jacksafar Dec 13, 2008 11:35 pm

SEA-PEK Cancelled [12/2008]

My partner and I were scheduled in J on the inaugural SEA-PEK on 01 Mar 09 in J and returning PEK-SEA on 11 Mar 09. It seems as though magically we are now scheduled to fly SEA-NRT-PEK-NRT-SEA. What's the deal?

jacksafar Dec 14, 2008 12:07 am

I just randomly found another thread buried regarding this being "postponed" It seemed as though just a few days ago they were offering bonus miles to PEK and PVG. Now that disappeared. I'm just so put off, I can't imagine why things have gone downhill so fast. I though that just days ago when they announced SLC-NRT, etc, that they said that SEA-PEK was cancelling. I was just told by a NW rep that I'm entitled to a full refund if I want it. I just have about $1800 of intra-china flights to cancel and a few grand worth of hotels, I'm tempted to do it, especially since we booked the flights the second that SEA-PEK was announced...

dammit, this pisses me off!

worldwidedreamer Dec 14, 2008 1:10 am

another one bites the dust...this panic will end soon and everything will be better.

pbarnette Dec 14, 2008 7:14 am

Expect more of these cancellations. The market for travel is really bleak right now. Companies are not buying as many seats, many are no longer paying for J, and those that do are paying a pittance (think about $2k for a TATL J seat, BEFORE the volume discounts at year-end).

My guess is that China will not be the market that many anticipated a few years ago, at least for a long, long while.

98103 Dec 14, 2008 8:38 am

I'm sure DL will find a perfectly good use in for the aircraft slated for this route. Maybe something out of SLC. Is it a sign of things to come since PDX-NRT has been reguaged to a 767?

jacksafar Dec 14, 2008 8:57 am

Ok thats it then, since Americans have less money to spend on travel (to China) and the demand for international travel is lower, I'm going to demand that the A330 from this route is used solely between SEA-MSP or SEA-HNL :D

marel2 Dec 14, 2008 9:00 am

I fly to Guangzhou (can) several times a year. I just tried to book for next year and a message comes up that they do not fly there.

BearX220 Dec 14, 2008 9:03 am

Ironically my (Seattle-area) household just this weekend received direct mail promoting the SEA-PEK nonstop. Guess it couldn't be spiked in time.

aaron1262 Dec 14, 2008 9:50 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 10905492)
Ironically my (Seattle-area) household just this weekend received direct mail promoting the SEA-PEK nonstop. Guess it couldn't be spiked in time.

i got that postcard too!

discstickers Dec 14, 2008 12:32 pm

About half the Yellow cabs in Seattle have ads on them saying Nonstop to Beijing begins March 1, 2009.

SkyTeam777 Dec 14, 2008 9:32 pm

The thing is, they just announced this! If the seats were so volatile in terms of revenue they should have either announced sooner or not at all! This just serves as fodder against the merger for detractors (not me...Im all for the merger!), but wasnt this the main boost behind the big AS announcement that was touted by everyone?! Without this and the much anticipated SYD announcement, Im sensing a total deflation around the new AS tie-up!

BearX220 Dec 15, 2008 6:38 am

Originally Posted by jacksafar (Post 10904557)
It seemed as though just a few days ago they were offering bonus miles to PEK and PVG. Now that disappeared. I'm just so put off, I can't imagine why things have gone downhill so fast.

Well, the economy (and market for premium cabin TPAC travel) has totally cratered since SEA-PEK was announced this summer. And it's become apparent Delta is not so interested in supporting off-hub longhaul routes. All bad news for Sea-Tac.