DTW-LGW Terminated - 1/11/09

Old Nov 17, 08, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
DTW-LGW Terminated - 1/11/09

http://www.businesstravelworld.com/p...6/EntryID=1338

And the slaughtering of DTW international routes continues. Not really surprised but right now DTW appears to be bearing the brunt of cuts these days.

DTW-KIX gone
DTW-CDG seasonal suspension
DTW-DUS gone
MSP-CDG seasonal suspension
SEA-LHR gone
Old Nov 17, 08, 9:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I could be wrong, but, I don't ever remember DTW/CDG being seasonal before, was it? I feel fairly certain that I've taken it a number of times in the winter! So, I guess the bean counters at DL are warming up their hatchets!!
Old Nov 17, 08, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
[url]
DTW-KIX gone
DTW-DUS gone
MSP-CDG seasonal suspension
SEA-LHR gone
DTW-DUS was gone long before the merger though.

DL is also cutting on its side of the house though: the second ATL-LGW is gone after early January and not returning in the summer; JFK-PSA is gone for the second half of January and early February...

DTW also has the added complication of its not-good (and getting worse) local economy...the current auto crisis isn't helping either...
Old Nov 17, 08, 11:22 pm

It is also sad to see them cutting flights to London's best airport, LGW, after they swtiched most flights to that hellhole LHR. Of course, CO does still have one LGW flight last time I checked. Of course, being based in Europe, I would not be flying TATL to the UK these days, but I used to do so quite often.
Old Nov 18, 08, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
It is also sad to see them cutting flights to London's best airport, LGW, after they swtiched most flights to that hellhole LHR. Of course, CO does still have one LGW flight last time I checked. Of course, being based in Europe, I would not be flying TATL to the UK these days, but I used to do so quite often.
Sorry, nope. CO has axed all LGW service as well.

-RM
Old Nov 18, 08, 2:48 am

Why do airlines hate LGW so much? Or what is it about LHR that they love?
Old Nov 18, 08, 5:56 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
I have no idea...LGW is a much better airport
Old Nov 18, 08, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
JFK-PSA is gone for the second half of January and early February...
With all due respect to the DL faithful, I think DTW-KIX and SEA-LHR are much more notable market eliminations than JFK-PSA...
Old Nov 18, 08, 7:56 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
DTW-KIX gone (Never understood 3 direct DTW-{JPN} flights, all that close together. If the load is there, go for it. If not, pull it.)

DTW-CDG seasonal suspension (Still covered by a non-stop via AF A330)

DTW-DUS gone (Never understood that one. Know people who took it, and prefered taking tha A330 with connection, over a direct 757)

MSP-CDG seasonal suspension (Is there an AF direct to MSP?)

SEA-LHR gone (Can't speak on that one, being from DTW!)

My opinion and prefence, being from DTW: DTW should have a direct wide-body non-stop to every other SkyTeam domestic and international hub, even for NW/DL. It can be either NW/DL, or the SkyTeam partner (eg: AF to CDG, KLM to AMS, NW to FRA, etc).

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
I presumed it was LGW having too few runways and the curfew, and LGW having more connection options. Or I could be wrong.

Steve B.
Old Nov 18, 08, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
DTW-KIX gone (Never understood 3 direct DTW-{JPN} flights, all that close together. If the load is there, go for it. If not, pull it.)
The demand is all there. The DTW-KIX flights are always full, almost every month I've flown (and I do cover most of the months with my travelling habits). I have a suspicion that with KIX expanding, prices for keeping jets there overnight probably would go up, therefore getting rid of 69/70 probably was in NW/DL's best interest. I wouldn't be surprised however if we see this flight pop up again in the near future or have a MSP-KIX deal happening.
Old Nov 18, 08, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
With all due respect to the DL faithful, I think DTW-KIX and SEA-LHR are much more notable market eliminations than JFK-PSA...
JFK-Pisa lasted longer than SEA-LHR, and at least had the logic of starting or ending in a hub. Maybe SEA-LHR will be restarted as a 767-300ER route?
Old Nov 18, 08, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
What are the dates on this? I am scheduled to fly this route next week...
Old Nov 18, 08, 2:42 pm
GVA

Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
What are the dates on this? I am scheduled to fly this route next week...
It doesn't come into effect until February IIRC.
Old Nov 18, 08, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 View Post
The demand is all there. The DTW-KIX flights are always full, almost every month I've flown (and I do cover most of the months with my travelling habits). I have a suspicion that with KIX expanding, prices for keeping jets there overnight probably would go up, therefore getting rid of 69/70 probably was in NW/DL's best interest. I wouldn't be surprised however if we see this flight pop up again in the near future or have a MSP-KIX deal happening.
IMO, there is a reasonablely good chance of returning of DTW-KIX when 787s arrive and economy improves (i.e., the big three survive).
Old Nov 18, 08, 3:44 pm
GVA

Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PVGMSP View Post
IMO, there is a reasonablely good chance of returning of DTW-KIX when 787s arrive and economy improves (i.e., the big three survive).
Though DL/NW may possibly be hoping that axing DTW-KIX makes NGO stronger. And IIRC, NGO has more ties to the auto-industry than KIX does.

IMHO, KIX has had pretty big problems lately with JL (to LHR) and NW axing flights, which may be a reflection on the state of the economy in KIX. Add in the fact that KIX has pretty much no domestic connections (with ITM down the road). Also, I remember reading that KIX had much higher airport taxes than NGO or NRT do.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: