DTW-LGW Terminated - 1/11/09

Old Nov 19, 08, 2:33 pm

I've done the tube to LHR, and I'll take the Gatwick Express any day, thank you! A much more pleasant journey into the city!

Recently a travelguide I was looking at for Bucharest referred to its secondary airport of Banesa as ''the second worst airport in Europe'' because ''no airport could be worse than Heathrow''. Even at Bucharest's LCC airport, they look down their nose at Heathrow.

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I know quite a few people who, indeed, like LGW better because it is less congested, but a great majority of people find LHR more convenient, and in fairness, I completely agree. The problem with LHR is that it is too congested and thus prone to delays when the weather is bad, but it happens in LGW at peak hours too. LHR is much closer to the city in terms of distance as well as travelling time, it is cheaper to get to thanks to the tube connection:cheapest LGW to London centre is 10, and that would only take you to the station at peak time, from LHR, 3.50 at peak time and 2 off peak with an oyster card will take you absolutely anywhere on the tube network in London.

As for connections, your list is missing Moscow with SU, Milan and Rome with AZ, Seoul, with KE, Bucharest with RO (Skyteam associate), Nairobi with KQ (Skyteam associate). With terminal 4 becoming the Skyteam hub in LHR, it is likely that new routes will open when the current crisis is over too.
Old Nov 19, 08, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
OK, "wedgie seats." Is that better?
Absolutely. After trying WBC, I'm looking forward to trying the 777 lie-flats.

I know quite a few people who, indeed, like LGW better because it is less congested, but a great majority of people find LHR more convenient, and in fairness, I completely agree. The problem with LHR is that it is too congested and thus prone to delays when the weather is bad, but it happens in LGW at peak hours too. LHR is much closer to the city in terms of distance as well as travelling time, it is cheaper to get to thanks to the tube connection:cheapest LGW to London centre is £10, and that would only take you to the station at peak time, from LHR, £3.50 at peak time and £2 off peak with an oyster card will take you absolutely anywhere on the tube network in London.
The one memory I have of LHR is that long walk from the gate to to immigration. I can't speak on connectability... yet that was one long walk!

Steve B.
Old Nov 19, 08, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>As for connections, your list is missing Moscow with SU, Milan and Rome with AZ, Seoul, with KE, Bucharest with RO (Skyteam associate), Nairobi with KQ (Skyteam associate).

Not only that, but several times I have flown NW to London, and then bought a separate round-trip from London on a non-partner carrier (mostly TAP to Faro) or LIS. Sometimes breaking the fare in London is cheaper and the flights are better. In fact, NW does not even HAVE a MSN-FAO published fare in the first place.
Old Nov 19, 08, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
MSP-CDG seasonal suspension (Is there an AF direct to MSP?)
There is no AF direct to MSP. My one-time on NW61 the flight was half empty, although the FA told me she came in a full flight and she thought loads were ok. It may come back downgauged to 767.

There is a recession so of course there will be cuts.
Old Nov 19, 08, 8:34 pm
GVA

Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I know quite a few people who, indeed, like LGW better because it is less congested, but a great majority of people find LHR more convenient, and in fairness, I completely agree. The problem with LHR is that it is too congested and thus prone to delays when the weather is bad, but it happens in LGW at peak hours too. LHR is much closer to the city in terms of distance as well as travelling time, it is cheaper to get to thanks to the tube connection:cheapest LGW to London centre is 10, and that would only take you to the station at peak time, from LHR, 3.50 at peak time and 2 off peak with an oyster card will take you absolutely anywhere on the tube network in London.
Heathrow, may be more convenient depending on where you are in London, but I still maintain that NW and skyteam got stuffed with T4.

T4 used to be convenient to get to when BA were there. It's no longer the case. Factor in that there are 50% less tubes, no heathrow express anymore, no national express, etc... which go to T4. No actual link to T5 either, except taking public buses which themselves have a journey time of nearly 20 minutes.

T4 is currently in some sort of improvement stage. I've seen a lot of terminals being modernised/improved, but T4 really looks ugly right now landside and in typical BAA style is so well indicated that you see people walking in circles trying to find the checkin desks or exit from the Heathrow Connect.
Old Nov 20, 08, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
http://www.businesstravelworld.com/p...6/EntryID=1338

And the slaughtering of DTW international routes continues. Not really surprised but right now DTW appears to be bearing the brunt of cuts these days.

DTW-KIX gone
DTW-CDG seasonal suspension
DTW-DUS gone
MSP-CDG seasonal suspension
SEA-LHR gone
Hmm, 2 of 5 routes I flew this year. DTW-DUS was great as was DTW-KIX... sure as hell beat the NRT-DTW return.
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:06 am

I suspect that the reason DL, NWA, CO and others are switching from LGW to LHR is because: 1. They now can. 2. Their customers prefer LHR.

Personally, I want access to the tube - I can get it at LHR, but not at LGW.
Old Nov 20, 08, 9:33 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Anybody else having problems with LAX-HNL on NW in 2009?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: