Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Future of DTW-KIX? - NW Suspends Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

I just booked a couple of award tickets for next June on DTW-KIX. Is that a profitable route for NW? Any educated guesses as to whether it is still around in 8 months?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:37 pm
azj

My tea leaves show the route being axed in the spring. Hopefully it will return with smaller gage 777 at some point. Or maybe they'll move this and everything to ATL, since that seems to be the center of the universe these days.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:23 am
Suspended

KIX will not move to ATL. It will resume out of DTW with a lower frequency or smaller equipment at some point. Its a low yield route in a bad economy...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:31 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
However it is the connection point for flights onward to TPE....granted they do have NRT-TPE again but still....
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:59 am

NW/DTW-KIX-TPE To Be Suspended next year!

According to this:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4206241/
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:11 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I wonder how long it will take before they contact me about my trip(s) to TPE I have scheduled next year to reschedule...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:28 am

According to that airliners.net thread, DTW-CDG and SEA-LHR are gone too. Maybe our concern shouldn't be 767's for A33's0 at DTW and instead we should be concerned with a dramatic reduction of international flights at DTW.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:49 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
gee, I fly DTW-KIX only once a year each January . . . but I have taken a voluntary bump 5 out of the last 6 years . . . planes are full (for me).
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I have DTW-KIX in coach and CDG-DTW in WBC ticketed in 2009. I'll cancel those if I'm put on a rickety 'ol 767.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I have DTW-KIX in coach and CDG-DTW in WBC ticketed in 2009. I'll cancel those if I'm put on a rickety 'ol 767.
You can trust that DTW-KIX won't be operated non-stop on a 767-300ER.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:00 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So what flights to KIX are there these days? HNL-KIX is the only one I know of....
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by humanoid94
According to that airliners.net thread, DTW-CDG and SEA-LHR are gone too. Maybe our concern shouldn't be 767's for A33's0 at DTW and instead we should be concerned with a dramatic reduction of international flights at DTW.
DTW-CDG is just a seasonal suspension for a few months. It will be back, probably with MSP-CDG as well.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Just checked and my KIX-DTW flight in March was rescheduled to KIX->NRT->DTW. Looks like KIX-DTW flights have already been discontinued (for now at least) beginning in early March. The KIX-NRT flight is operated by a 757.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:02 pm

Northwest eliminates direct flight from Detroit to Osaka Japan

I have a reservation from Detroit to Osaka for next summer with my family and this evening I received an email that they have switched us to flying through Narita. I called Northwest and apparantly the last direct flight is at the end of February 2009. Does anybody know why they are doing this? Is this because of the Delta Merger? Did they setup a new relationship with one of the Japanese airlines?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Welcome to FT ^

This may be better for the NW Forum

It is probably because they were not making money on the route and they wanted to use the plane for another flight. I doubt it has anything to do with the merger. This happens all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.