Yikes - 744 in Y ---Seat Advice

Old Oct 15, 08, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Yikes - 744 in Y ---Seat Advice

I am headed to NRT from DTW and the only decent seats available are 51A and 36A......in which do I want to be seated?
Old Oct 15, 08, 12:30 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
www.seatguru.com says....

Having personally sat in 36K from HNL to NRT it was quite nice with all the extra leg room. You can't exactly get up and enter/exit from the front as the door slide is there, but it has LOTS of leg room. Not sure how far the slide protrudes into your space in row 51.
Old Oct 15, 08, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
[You can't exactly get up and enter/exit from the front as the door slide is there, but it has LOTS of leg room.
I have seen folks in 36A (mirror image of 36K) scoot forward past the door without too much trouble. I was in 35B (^), and the guy in 36A was able to get between me and the door without climbing all over me or accidentally opening the door (). Granted, he was nowhere near being a "person of size" and it was still a bit of a squeeze...but it was still better than climbing over the folks in 36B & C, or waking them up when they were sleeping.

I'd take 36A or K without hesitation if I couldn't get a good exit row seat....
Old Oct 15, 08, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Take 36A...now!
Old Oct 15, 08, 7:58 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
36A.

But for future reference, 35B/35J is no doubt the best Y seat in the B744 for NW ^
Old Oct 15, 08, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk View Post
36A.

But for future reference, 35B/35J is no doubt the best Y seat in the B744 for NW ^
Agreed, take 36A. Keep checking seat maps for row 35 to open up, simply the best seats in coach.
Old Oct 16, 08, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
They are right Row 35 rocks, well as much as TPAC/TATL can rock on a B747, which isn't much compared to the A330.

It seems that many of my flights have kept 35H/J back for the 24-hour Coach Choice "sale". I have had great success checking in right at the 24 hour mark and grabbing up 35J, as a PE I don't pay the $25, neither would a GE. I'd grab 36A now and hope to get 35J later. If 35J is taken grab 35H.

I'm flying the DTW-NRT leg next month and already scooped up 35B. Sorry!

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 16, 08, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks all - much appreciated. In2ishn - any chance it is on 11/7?
Old Dec 28, 08, 8:08 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Are seats 36A & K standard tray table in the armrest seats? Wanted to know if 36K's left side armrest lifts up? Was wondering just in case 36H&J were empty is it possible to lay down.
Old Dec 28, 08, 6:24 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Blank Sheet View Post
Are seats 36A & K standard tray table in the armrest seats? Wanted to know if 36K's left side armrest lifts up? Was wondering just in case 36H&J were empty is it possible to lay down.
I have no personal experience here, but according to SeatGuru's NW744 page, 36A & K have armrest tray tables.
Old Dec 28, 08, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Glad to hear it...I've got 35B for MSP-NRT (went with NW19 instead of 11 since it's just a bit shorter, even if I leave MKE 20min earlier, and since I'm going onto HKG don't lose the few miles difference).

Where is the screen for 35/36?

For the NRT-HKG flight I was gonna take something closer to the front to get a better spot in line. Fortunately the return is on the upper deck
Old Dec 28, 08, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Indeed, the tray table for the window seats of 36 are in the side, since there is no seat in front.

Originally Posted by mkenwayx View Post
Where is the screen for 35/36?
The screen is mounted in the center bulkhead, so the view from 35B&J and 36A&K isn't very good as you have to turn your head quite a bit. If watching the movies are important to you (more than legroom) then you should pick another seat. I'd keep the seat since legroom is more important to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: