Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW FA alleges PE, GEs bolting already...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW FA alleges PE, GEs bolting already...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Exclamation NW FA alleges PE, GEs bolting already...

Was just about finished 70 to DTW and had a chat with an FA while they cleaned up on the upper deck. Told her about how my travels averaged around 5 RTs and such. She asked if I was going to stay on with NW after the merger and I had honestly told her that I did not think about the question but maybe. She says, "Really? You'd be one in a few. Lots of people like you have already bolted for other airlines." I ask her why and she says, "Not a lot of people have faith in Delta, and that everybody knows that this will not work out for WP members." (THIS IS NOT VERBATIM WHAT SHE SAID, AND I WILL LEAVE OUT NAMES/DATES AND SUCH)

So maybe she was cynical or just jaded. But is there any truth in what she said?

(Also, she had said a lot of the PE/GEs were bolting for CO, UA )
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:44 am

I am not at all surprised. DL, along with US, is leading the race to the bottom in destroying the value in its ff program. I am one of those who will be bolting, probably to CO. I bailed out of DL in the past, back in the reign of terror of Robbie Borden (see www.saveskymiles.com ) and have absolutely no intension of going back. I am also trying to use up my WP miles before they turn into a pumpkin by being devalued into DL SkyPiles. Just burned another 50K today.

I will likely fly NW for a while but put the miles on CO, as long as I can get my elite bonus. I like the NW TATL product (which I am sure DL will screw up). Once NW is folded into DL or CO formally joins another alliance, that will end.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:26 am

When companies merge, you usually get the worst of both.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:46 am

Opinions vary from person to person, FA to FA. I don't know of any evidence that supports the theory that elites are leaving in droves. While anything is possible I haven't seen anything that supports that. Most of the 757 flights I work are full of plats/golds/silvers in FC and MC, plus a sprinkling of DL AF CO elites usually in coach.
I usually talk to the people (usually elites) sitting opposite me is the 757 exit row and not one has mentioned anything about bolting.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I think it's premature to bolt. I want to see the structure of the FF program, hear of any "incentives" to stay and of course fly several times to see the quality of service and upgrade percentages. As crappy as SkyMiles is, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until things unfold.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Was just about finished 70 to DTW ....
I'd take it with a grain of salt. An FA on NRT-DTW a couple years ago was convinced that NW was going to get rid of the WP program.

We would have bolted for UA ourselves this year, but UA is sinking so fast the rocks can't keep up with it.

Originally Posted by glob99
When companies merge, you usually get the worst of both.
Which is off to a good start with the designation of Jeff Robertson as VP of loyalty programs.

Originally Posted by nroscoe
I think it's premature to bolt. I want to see the structure of the FF program, hear of any "incentives" to stay and of course fly several times to see the quality of service and upgrade percentages. As crappy as SkyMiles is, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until things unfold.
I agree exept that I'd reword that last sentence: As crappy as SkyMiles is, with UA tanking out & CO departing for *A, our options have been seriously curtailed.

More recently WN promises a new domestic option for MSP-based flyers.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
More recently WN promises a new domestic option for MSP-based flyers.
I think us MSP-ers will still be pretty limited. I guess I forsee DL being heavy here post merger, so it doesn't give us a lot of choice. Similar to how we all came to be NWA elites.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Good!

More upgrades for the survivors.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
It's great that there have been a variety of opinions on this matter ^

Mrs. mjcewl had debated herself whether or not to do a status match on NW (she herself is a CO Gold), but now with the impending merger and her disdain for DL, she is holding off and rather now, trying to persuade me to get status matched on CO.

I think it would be slightly presumptious to bolt for CO since we really haven't heard much about what might happen with DL.

I'm sorry MikeMpls but I'll never take WN for as long as I fly. I was never big on the absolutely-no-frills-whatsoever experience.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm sorry MikeMpls but I'll never take WN for as long as I fly. I was never big on the absolutely-no-frills-whatsoever experience.
Yes. Coach seats upholstered in leather, 32" seat pitch in coach, new narrowbody aircraft, two free checked bags, a free snack, and friendly flight attendants are things that that veteran NW flyers just sneer at.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes. Coach seats upholstered in leather, 32" seat pitch in coach, new narrowbody aircraft, two free checked bags, a free snack, and friendly flight attendants are things that that veteran NW flyers just sneer at.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:57 am
Suspended

I would not particularly get concerned about ffs bolting for other airlines. There are not really that many places to go anymore, and the grass really isn't any greener. There are probably as many bolting from other programs to this one as bolting from this one to others.

As a New York based Worldperks member with lots of miles, I am torn about the Delta merger. Delta's program is worse, but they fly a lot more places from New York, which will give me more destinations.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The rugby scrum for a decent seat was kind of fun when I was in my 20s. Not so much anymore....
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
The rugby scrum for a decent seat was kind of fun when I was in my 20s. Not so much anymore....
The new WN boarding system is MUCH more tolerable as long as you can secure an A pass around #16-30.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/Million Miler; Mileage Plus Platinum; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum; Hilton Silver
Was just about finished 70 to DTW and had a chat with an FA while they cleaned up on the upper deck. Told her about how my travels averaged around 5 RTs and such. She asked if I was going to stay on with NW after the merger and I had honestly told her that I did not think about the question but maybe. She says, "Really? You'd be one in a few. Lots of people like you have already bolted for other airlines." I ask her why and she says, "Not a lot of people have faith in Delta, and that everybody knows that this will not work out for WP members." (THIS IS NOT VERBATIM WHAT SHE SAID, AND I WILL LEAVE OUT NAMES/DATES AND SUCH)

So maybe she was cynical or just jaded. But is there any truth in what she said?

(Also, she had said a lot of the PE/GEs were bolting for CO, UA )
I bolted in favour of CO. partly due to the merger, partly due to the announcement of CO joining the Star Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.