AC power in coach seat?

Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
AC power in coach seat?

I see on SeatGuru.com that some NWA flights have AC power in some of the coach seats. Does that mean a laptop can be powered from that seat? Is a special converter required to plug in a power cord into the seat?

If it matters, the plane is a A330-300 (333) transatlantic flight.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:53 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
On the A330's (332 & 333) the forward section of coach has standard 110v plugs, no convertor is needed.

Originally Posted by Dole
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I see on SeatGuru.com that some NWA flights have AC power in some of the coach seats. Does that mean a laptop can be powered from that seat? Is a special converter required to plug in a power cord into the seat?

The answer to this is that the A333 has power in the front section of coach. No airline adapter is required. Yes, power my I-book all the time with it (well, if I am not in WBC anyway). Some say that you need to take your battery out when using it. I have not in the past, but that one is really laptop dependent. Hope you enjoy your flight. Many of us feel that TATL, NW has the best coach product of any of the legacies on the A333. Hope you feel the same! Safe Travels!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Originally Posted by GTITAN
The answer to this is that the A333 has power in the front section of coach. No airline adapter is required. Yes, power my I-book all the time with it (well, if I am not in WBC anyway). Some say that you need to take your battery out when using it. I have not in the past, but that one is really laptop dependent. Hope you enjoy your flight. Many of us feel that TATL, NW has the best coach product of any of the legacies on the A333. Hope you feel the same! Safe Travels!

Thank you both for the tips!

I've found that United is very hard to beat because of their E+ product. No other legacy can beat United in terms of generous leg room in coach. However, this power in the seat thing might make up for the smaller space. I'm looking forward to trying NWA transatlantic!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:17 am

I've found that United is very hard to beat because of their E+ product. No other legacy can beat United in terms of generous leg room in coach. However, this power in the seat thing might make up for the smaller space. I'm looking forward to trying NWA transatlantic!
Note, if you can get 10A, 10B, 10H or 10J you will have as much room if not more than on UA E+. Also note, that food is still free, alcohol is free and AVOD is great! I've done UA long haul on the 767 (also Prem Ex. for now), but IHMO, the A333 beats it hands down! Also note 29A, 29B, 29H and 29J have the nearly unlimited leg room but no power in the seat. Safe Travels!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM

I thought UA announced they were getting rid of E+??
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
The power plugs are really buggy... its nice that they are there, but the designers did a really poor job on them. They work with some laptops but not all depending on how much power they draw... I can only get it to work sometimes with mine, doesn't matter if the battery is in or out, I get the same result with them. I just gave up and carry extra batteries. I've tried it several times on both the 744 and 732 and get the same lousy results with both.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
It's not really the laptop but the amount of power the charger draws. I have a compact travel charger from dell and it always works flawlessly. Your normal charger will work if there aren't too many others using the system...otherwise you may have issues. The inflight magazine lists the exact power draw that is supported...looked on nwa.com but couldn't find it for you.

As for removing your battery, that is also related to the power draw. Many chargers will draw less just to run the computer as opposed to run the computer and charge the battery. Hence, with the battery out you may have more luck.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Note, if you can get 10A, 10B, 10H or 10J you will have as much room if not more than on UA E+. Also note, that food is still free, alcohol is free and AVOD is great! I've done UA long haul on the 767 (also Prem Ex. for now), but IHMO, the A333 beats it hands down! Also note 29A, 29B, 29H and 29J have the nearly unlimited leg room but no power in the seat. Safe Travels!

Actually the alcohol is no longer free in coach on International flights...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by KevinInMN
When did charges come into being on a TATL for booze? I don't remember seeing it reported. If so, a huge on that one, and before a chorus of tight times, etc. etc., I know, but it was still something that I always trumpeted to friends and colleagues alike about NW. Safe Travels.

Last edited by GTITAN; Oct 9, 2008 at 1:03 pm Reason: grammar clean-up
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by KevinInMN
TATL it is. Its part of the agreement between NW and KL.

As to the plugs in coach. As long as the max draw from your adapter is less than 70w you're fine. Look on the sticker on your laptop charger.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
3 Prong

Does a 3 prong plug (2 flats and a round ground) works in these outlets?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by rtarbuck
Does a 3 prong plug (2 flats and a round ground) works in these outlets?
You betcha! Safe Travels!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
AC

You betcha! Safe Travels!
Thanks. I've been on that plane at least a dozen times but have never tried to use the power. I'd betcha that would have been the answer.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Row 29

IIRC, there is a plug at row 29 (right side A333) but it is not in the seat - it is forward of the door down by the floor. I recall seeing a FA charging her cell phone from it (while on the ground). Not sure if you would be allowed to use it in flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.