Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

"Phantom" Upgrade List for International Travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by muttvette
I'm on a B ticket, my wife is on an award, though only I'm Plat.
Yeah, I'm guessing that won't work, particularly because it's unlikely that those are on the same PNR.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Very interesting!! I was thinking about buying a TATL ticket on United (need some Lufthansa miles) and on to asia...but now thinking I might just go with NW/KLM!!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Recent Experiences:

Sept. 27, DTW-AMS, KL 618 (NW 8618)

In the DTW WC, I asked my usual questions 90 minutes prior to departure. Is the flight overbooked in Coach? "Yes." Has everyone checked in for Coach at this time? "No, let me see if I can get you a better seat. Sorry, only some middle seats left open right now in Coach. But the Gate Agents now have a list of people that they have already "targeted" for upgrades if they become necessary."

That last portion of the conversation was totally new to me. Had never been told that before! End result was that it appeared no one was upgraded at the gate, and there were 3 or 4 empty seats in WBC that night. Only a small handful of coach seats went empty. But this was KLM metal, and the rules may be different for those flights. Don't know for sure.

Oct. 5, AMS-DTW, KL 617 (NW 8617)

No time to ask in the new Crown Lounge in AMS, which was BTW very nice and not very full. Inquired at the gate, and Agent said that Coach was overbooked, but unfortunately WBC was completely full. She said there would be no chance for any upgrades, and that a few people could be denied boarding. Did not hang around in the Gate to find out if any were left behind, but I do know that the flight went out with ALL 327 seats completely filled!

Random thoughts: While the above experiences do not really reflect what is going on at NWA, I suspect based on other postings that several things may be happening. As a result of the current financial crisis in the US, it appears that on certain days and certain flights the loads in WBC are getting pretty light. While this does not bode well for the airline, perhaps someone there has finally realized that when it comes time to close the door to the airplane, you just can not sell any more of those precious seats up front! So why not use them to reward your best customers, and perhaps instill even more loyalty? Or give them a free sample of your "premium" product that they just might like, and opt to buy from you in the future? Based on the comments in this thread, on my trip next week to CDG I plan to play dumb and ask the usual questions again regarding NW50 and NW49, even though I already bought a B fare and used miles to upgrade with absolutely no problem at all finding U seats available for the upgrades. I will also make some inquiries to my insider contacts, and see if I can get some definitive answers as to what might have changed with the upgrade policy. I'll post more later, when I know more facts.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Yes, this is one of the more exciting things I have seen in awhile. Makes me want to run for Plat.
Yeah, ditto from another GE here. I'm dreaming of a Dec MR. Though it would be slightly disappointing for me to do a MR to get plat, only to see this unofficial policy go away.

Any plats not getting an op-up with empty biz loads?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
"No, let me see if I can get you a better seat. Sorry, only some middle seats left open right now in Coach. But the Gate Agents now have a list of people that they have already "targeted" for upgrades if they become necessary."
Non-randomly selected for special seating? This is the kind of "targeting" I can support.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Phantom" Upgrade List for International Travel?

Upgraded SEA-HNL to first during the flight this summer. Lead FA served me a first class meal in coach and wrote a card saying thanks for being a Platinum member and said to bring the tray to first class when you finish and offered first class seat for remainder of flight complete with mimosas.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Aisle Executive
Just used miles to upgrade on an upcoming trip msn-msp-nrt-gum-whatever osaka is-dtw-msn....i wonder how I'm going to feel if the guy next to me is given an op-up at the gate from k.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by skowse
Just used miles to upgrade on an upcoming trip msn-msp-nrt-gum-whatever osaka is-dtw-msn....i wonder how I'm going to feel if the guy next to me is given an op-up at the gate from k.
Believe me, knowing that you'll be in WBC for sure beats the chance of not being in WBC. Be grateful that you're in there and that you can pick a seat that you like -- and be happy for anyone that gets a better seat as it shouldn't impact your experience. Enjoy.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Interesting tidbit at the HNL WC

I commented to the ladies there of the apparent spate of upgrades to WBC (I've received them on my outbound and return PDX-NRT in September) of late. One of them said that they were op-ups but the other, with a Cheshire cat grin, said the upgrades were deliberate for NW's better customers and the decision came from on high. She wouldn't elaborate when I asked for more detail so I didn't push.

Hmm.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Was going to slip to GE. I'm willing to take the chance now. Just booked the MR that will give me Plat for next year (great promo to Asia). Sure hope it pays off on the MR and next year!
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anbhc
Upgraded SEA-HNL to first during the flight this summer. Lead FA served me a first class meal in coach and wrote a card saying thanks for being a Platinum member and said to bring the tray to first class when you finish and offered first class seat for remainder of flight complete with mimosas.
Hopefully the card was more heartfelt than the shameless "With Compliments" card I get each flight with a FC meal. Then again, US advertises on tray tables and that is just wrong.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hopefully the card was more heartfelt than the shameless "With Compliments" card I get each flight with a FC meal. Then again, US advertises on tray tables and that is just wrong.
LOL those made me laugh so hard. "Here's your dinner. Would you like a new WP Visa Signature credit card"? (which I already have)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by NWstu
I commented to the ladies there of the apparent spate of upgrades to WBC (I've received them on my outbound and return PDX-NRT in September) of late. One of them said that they were op-ups but the other, with a Cheshire cat grin, said the upgrades were deliberate for NW's better customers and the decision came from on high. She wouldn't elaborate when I asked for more detail so I didn't push.

Hmm.
Sounds good, NWstu!!!

I didn't have any luck on my DTW-AMS roundtrip Sept 22-26, but I've got ~145k EQMs and I'm looking at booking DTW-AMS roundtrips again next week AND the following week.

I'll post if I have any success.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I've zeroed in on my first ever Asia trip (and the fare isn't all that great--it's a significant outlay) - - potentially for November; if this "policy" looks real over the next couple months, it would be cool. If the "policy" is real, then flying hours upon days with a strong prospect of WBC sounds like a fun adventure - - but if there isn't anything more substantive then murmurings among GA's and spotty reports from travellers (still not very thick nor fast in this forum), then I'll just go back to busting down to Gold for next year.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

It was the lead pursers business card and she hand wrote "Thanks for your loyalty as a Platinum Elite member" and she signed her name.

Originally Posted by mnredfox

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.