FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Is NRT NW's only nonstop destination from the US in Asia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/868274-nrt-nws-only-nonstop-destination-us-asia.html)

bostontraveler Sep 21, 2008 11:54 am

Is NRT NW's only nonstop destination from the US in Asia?

I've looked at their maps which show nonstops to HKG which then don't match what I'm finding on their website.

3Cforme Sep 21, 2008 12:01 pm

DTW-NGO Nagoya
DTW-KIX Osaka

Both on 747-400s.

hw711 Sep 21, 2008 12:05 pm

NW doesn't fly non-stop to HKG. Maybe you were looking at the partners routes? CO flies non-stop to HKG from EWR (and IAD?). NW only flies non-stop to NRT and KIX from US. It'll add SEA<->PEK in March 09.

hw711 Sep 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 10401814)
DTW-NGO Nagoya
DTW-KIX Osaka

Both on 747-400s.

NGO, that's one I'm not familiar with.

avidflyer Sep 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 10401788)
I've looked at their maps which show nonstops to HKG which then don't match what I'm finding on their website.

DTW-HKG (Flt NW11 and NW12) is a "direct" with a stop in NRT.

dyung Sep 21, 2008 12:36 pm

LAX-(NRT)-HKG is technically sold as a non-stop (same flight # for the entire flight) even though you have to stop in NRT and even change planes. :p

avidflyer Sep 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by dyung (Post 10401944)
LAX-(NRT)-HKG is technically sold as a non-stop (same flight # for the entire flight) even though you have to stop in NRT and even change planes. :p

That stopped a few years back. The only direct is DTW-HKG NW 11 and NW 12.
NW 1 terminates in NRT.

baccarat_king Sep 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Try going via AMS

If departing from BOS (I'm assuming this, bostontraveler ;) )

I've found the late evening flight from BOS-AMS is quite nice with regard to connections to Asia (and allows you to avoid early morning flights from BOS, and one less connection (i.e. no DTW AND NRT).

Recently, I booked BOS-AMS-PVG. IIRC, The pricing for J was actually a "bit less" than the standard westbound flights (BOS-DTW-NRT-PVG).

For example, with regard to HKG :
KL (NW) 6060 BOS-AMS 09/21/08 9:55 PM arrives 09/22/08 11:00 AM
KL 887 AMS-HKG 09/22/08 3:20 PM arrives 09/23/08 8:30 AM

IMO, connecting in AMS offers some of the best alternatives from BOS to Asia [if your desire is ONLY 1 connection, and to stay with SkyTeam NW/KLM] , now that there is the second daily (late) BOS-AMS flight that reduces the connection time in AMS.

avidflyer Sep 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king (Post 10401992)
If departing from BOS (I'm assuming this, bostontraveler ;) )

I've found the late evening flight from BOS-AMS is quite nice with regard to connections to Asia (and allows you to avoid early morning flights from BOS, and one less connection (i.e. no DTW AND NRT).

Recently, I booked BOS-AMS-PVG. IIRC, The pricing for J was actually a "bit less" than the standard westbound flights (BOS-DTW-NRT-PVG).

For example, with regard to HKG :
KL (NW) 6060 BOS-AMS 09/21/08 9:55 PM arrives 09/22/08 11:00 AM
KL 887 AMS-HKG 09/22/08 3:20 PM arrives 09/23/08 8:30 AM

IMO, connecting in AMS offers some of the best alternatives from BOS to Asia [if your desire is ONLY 1 connection, and to stay with SkyTeam NW/KLM] , now that there is the second daily (late) BOS-AMS flight that reduces the connection time in AMS.

I have to agree here. I just booked my second east-bound HKG trip and I did like the first one I took earlier this year. I like the timing of getting into HKG in the morning vs 10pm. The only thing I would say is the pricing in J is pretty good but if you are looking at going in Y ...not so much. I tried to book a colleage to travel on my flights in Y and it was 2X the price of going west.

baccarat_king Sep 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 10402039)
I have to agree here. I just booked my second east-bound HKG trip and I did like the first one I took earlier this year. I like the timing of getting into HKG in the morning vs 10pm. The only thing I would say is the pricing in J is pretty good but if you are looking at going in Y ...not so much. I tried to book a colleage to travel on my flights in Y and it was 2X the price of going west.

avidflyer, in your experience, have you also been able to find advantageous non-Skyteam east-bound Asia (1 connection) alternatives from BOS? I haven't looked into it (as, we are mostly a Skyteam family) but was thinking that possibly BA, VS, and or LH might also provide some nice alternatives from BOS. I'm guessing you probably also need a late night BOS departure to make the connections work, of which there aren't that many [after 8PM departures to Europe] from BOS.

We HATE double connections and early morning departures from BOS. ;)

slippahs Sep 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 10401814)
DTW-NGO Nagoya
DTW-KIX Osaka

Both on 747-400s.

Add in HNL-KIX.

DanTravels Sep 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Should we include GUM-KIX, GUM-NGO, GUM-NRT, SPN-KIX, SPN-NGO, SPN-NRT? Or are those not sufficiently "US"? :D

avidflyer Sep 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king (Post 10402068)
avidflyer, in your experience, have you also been able to find advantageous non-Skyteam east-bound Asia (1 connection) alternatives from BOS? I haven't looked into it (as, we are mostly a Skyteam family) but was thinking that possibly BA, VS, and or LH might also provide some nice alternatives from BOS. I'm guessing you probably also need a late night BOS departure to make the connections work, of which there aren't that many [after 8PM departures to Europe] from BOS.

We HATE double connections and early morning departures from BOS. ;)

Hello Baccarat. I have done the Lufty Flight before and it was actually pretty good. Late departure (10 or 10:30) and it gets you into HKG around 10am with the connection in FRA. It was expensive if I remember right. Have not tried VS yet.
I will be in LAS 10/25-10/28 if you happen to be there tearing up the tables.

jamespvg Sep 21, 2008 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by dyung (Post 10401944)

That's a 'direct' flight, rather than a 'non-stop'. Still misleading, of course.

bk42 Sep 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Soon to be added:
SEA-PEK
DTW-PVG