Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

New Laptop TSA Process posted on NWA.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE

Found here:
http://nwa.com/travel/luggage/carryon.html#personal

NEW: TSA to allow for "Checkpoint Friendly" Laptop Bags

To help streamline the security process and better protect laptop computers, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will allow passengers to leave their laptop computers in bags that meet new "checkpoint friendly" standards starting August 16, 2008. Computer bags that will produce a clear and unobstructed image of the laptop when undergoing X-ray screening will be allowed to remain in bags for screening.

For a bag to be considered checkpoint friendly it should meet the following standards:

A designated laptop-only section
The laptop-only section completely unfolds to lay flat on the X-ray belt
No metal snaps, zippers or buckles inside, underneath or on top of the laptop-only section
No pockets on the inside or outside of the laptop-only section
Nothing packed in the laptop-only section other than the computer itself.

Note: This applies only for destinations in the U.S. under TSA screening standards and protocols. Foreign locations may vary due to local regulations.

The TSA is not approving or endorsing any bag design or manufacturer and will only allow laptops to stay in bags through screening if they provide a clear and unobstructed X-ray image of the laptop. For images of checkpoint friendly designs and guidance on use, please visit www.tsa.gov.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Cybershaz
For a bag to be considered checkpoint friendly it should meet the following standards:

A designated laptop-only section
The laptop-only section completely unfolds to lay flat on the X-ray belt
No metal snaps, zippers or buckles inside, underneath or on top of the laptop-only section
No pockets on the inside or outside of the laptop-only section
So you still have to open the bag and unfold it to qualify -- doesn't really help much. But then I really haven't come to expect any constructive actions from TSA.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: NW WorldPerks
It isn't a lot easier, but unfolding my bag is still easier than taking the laptop out and putting it back in. Almost 2% more efficient.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by publicenemy
It isn't a lot easier, but unfolding my bag is still easier than taking the laptop out and putting it back in. Almost 2% more efficient.
That's about the right percentage! Not enough for me to buy a new bag, though (and I don't think I'd like a fold-out-able bag design anyway ...)
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Just when you think TSA can't be more inane, they top themselves.

This bag looks promising:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB1701

I've used Tom Bihn bags for years now, with really good results.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:40 pm

Indeed a pretty nice design. Still not so much less work that pulling my X61 out of my bag (I use a top-opening bag so it comes out quite easily) but if you're going to optimize to TSA's new rules, this is a pretty good idea. And it even looks all right.

Mind you, I still prefer a bag covered with the skin of dead cows or sheep.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
What you should really worry about is the ability of the TSA to confiscate your laptop and look through your hard drive!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
yeah, so my backpack with a laptop compartment isn't likely to qualify any time soon? lame...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Given the variability of TSA enforcement across airports nationwide, I think this will just cause more confusion unfortunately.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by drjazz
What you should really worry about is the ability of the TSA to confiscate your laptop and look through your hard drive!
Hi folks....my , well , second leap into posting here at FT.

I realize we are talking TSA here but I came across this on the CBP site...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/ad...op_inspect.xml

Phil & Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.