Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW11to Tokyo diverted to Anchorage..drunk passenger

NW11to Tokyo diverted to Anchorage..drunk passenger

Old Aug 15, 08, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by florin View Post
I can't help it...

Was no big deal to me but a lot of folks missed their connections.

That's the first thing I thought of too...
Then again, I didn't miss my connection

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is page 3 .
Old Aug 15, 08, 7:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL SM, Marriott Gold, VFW Post 10029
Unruly passenger to pay $35,935

Anchorage Daily News

Published: August 30th, 2007 04:16 AM
Last Modified: August 30th, 2007 07:13 AM

An Oklahoma City man must pay Northwest Airlines more than $35,000 in restitution for assaulting a crew member in a disruptive tantrum last spring and causing an international flight to be diverted to Anchorage, the U.S. Department of Justice said Wednesday.

Halazo, 49, was ordered to pay $35,935 to the airline and also sentenced to 69 days in jail, equal to the time he's already served.

The incident occurred May 8 when Holazo was a passenger aboard Northwest Flight 71, according to the U.S. Attorney's office in Anchorage. The flight originated in Detroit and was on its way to Japan when it had to land at Stevens International Airport because of Holazo's actions, said U.S. Attorney Nelson Cohen.

Holazo was convicted of interference with a flight crew and ordered to immediately pay $20,000 to Northwest Airlines, money to be taken from the cash Holazo had with him at the time of the arrest, Cohen said in a written statement.

Federal Judge Timothy Burgess also ordered Holazo to have his abuse of alcohol addressed and not to fly on any commercial airline without approval from probation officials.
This is from an incident last year, based on fuel prices, I can see a much larger fine in his immediate future.
Old Aug 15, 08, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by moocherx View Post
With some... let's call it "work"... I've had to do in the past, I would be perfectly happy to safely restrain a passenger so that he would cause no further problems to the other passengers or crew.
Although certainly not professional, it seems like the NW flight crew could go around and discretely ask the biggest guys to join some of the largest FAs (men or women ) to confront and restrain the passenger. I'd be all for this -- although of course it would have to be done without posing any harm to others, which is essentially impossible. Too bad an air marshal wasn't (apparently) on board. I'm just glad it wasn't a bigger deal and that everyone made their connections.
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Holazo was convicted of interference with a flight crew and ordered to immediately pay $20,000 to Northwest Airlines, money to be taken from the cash Holazo had with him at the time of the arrest, Cohen said in a written statement.
Carrying $20K+ n cash, one wonders what business this guy was in ...
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Is there a law regarding leaving the US with more than $10,000 of undeclared cash as there is with bringing it in. Sounds like he might have broken another law. That, or he actually declared it. As an airline, would you want to transport people carrying more than $10,000 of declared cash? Sounds like a situation where nothing good can possibly come out of it.
Old Aug 15, 08, 10:12 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
Is there a law regarding leaving the US with more than $10,000 of undeclared cash as there is with bringing it in. Sounds like he might have broken another law. That, or he actually declared it. As an airline, would you want to transport people carrying more than $10,000 of declared cash? Sounds like a situation where nothing good can possibly come out of it.
We're getting OT here, but still... nobody said it wasn't declared. You can carry more than $10k if you declare it. Someone asked about this in the TravelBuzz forum - it's a pretty simple procedure which entails filling out a form and turning it in to CBP. As for the AL - I think the most they can do is report that someone has lots of cash; it's not up to them to check whether it is legitimate or not. A pax carrying cash is not a safety threat and I don't see how it interferes with anything.

ETA: I suppose they can try to sell an UG...
Old Aug 15, 08, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
This is from an incident last year, based on fuel prices, I can see a much larger fine in his immediate future.
Did "a lot of folks miss their connections?"
Old Aug 15, 08, 3:08 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, NW Gold for '09
Originally Posted by marel2 View Post
One of the FA's said NWA could go after him for the extra expense caused by his behavior.
And they should indeed.
Old Aug 16, 08, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Originally Posted by moocherx View Post
With some... let's call it "work"... I've had to do in the past, I would be perfectly happy to safely restrain a passenger so that he would cause no further problems to the other passengers or crew.

I would especially do it if the alternative - detour - was going to disrupt my trip.

What are the opinions of flight crews for one passenger to take on such a confrontation role with another passenger, albeit resulting in a flight that can continue as scheduled with no further disruption?

Is it a case of "stay out of it"?
Go for it. !! you could enjoy your moment of fame for causing another unscheduled landing at ANC. ..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: