Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic food quality going downhill, steeply?

Old Jul 13, 08, 2:42 pm
tlr
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN

I tried NW 60 (operated with a 757) on BOS-AMS for the first time a few days ago (I'm usually using the earlier A330, or the AF flight) -- and got surprised by a particularly bland-to-disgusting piece of chicken being served as dinner; "breakfast" consisted of a single granola bar. (This is, obviously, in Economy.) Even the boxed sandwiches served on KL's shortest inner-European cityhopper flights are better than that!

Is my memory of NW's transatlantic catering somehow skewed by having spent too much time on AF recently, or have things really changed for the significantly worse during the past year or so?
Old Jul 13, 08, 4:35 pm

Programs: new united nobody
i flw pdx-ams on june 29, and i must agree that the food was pretty much inedible. the chicken looked like plastic, and tasted like it too. the ham sandwich was salty and the eggmcmuffin type thing for breakfast was something i would never touch anyway. i was glad i had eaten before takeoff, and had brought cheese and crackers.

hope the food is better for my return in c.
Old Jul 13, 08, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyingbroom View Post
Yes it is, much better.
Old Jul 13, 08, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you think NW-coded-and-operated long-haul flights have had an increasing disparity in food quality from earlier times in recent years, you should see what has happened to NW-coded-and-KL-operated long-haul flights in coach where they seem to flip coins about whether the quantity/quality of food should be "sufficient" today or just a "very poor" offering.
Old Jul 13, 08, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
i flw pdx-ams on june 29, and i must agree that the food was pretty much inedible. the chicken looked like plastic, and tasted like it too. the ham sandwich was salty and the eggmcmuffin type thing for breakfast was something i would never touch anyway. i was glad i had eaten before takeoff, and had brought cheese and crackers.

Hello flyingbroom, welcome to FT! ^

Do let us know what you think of the food in C. All of us, but especially the NW lurkers here, need to know about the direction NW is heading.

Bon voyage!
Old Jul 13, 08, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
If you think NW-coded-and-operated long-haul flights have had an increasing disparity in food quality from earlier times in recent years, you should see what has happened to NW-coded-and-KL-operated long-haul flights in coach where they seem to flip coins about whether the quantity/quality of food should be "sufficient" today or just a "very poor" offering.
When flying Y on KL TATL (not infrequently!), I always take the Asian vegetarian option. While I'm not a vegetarian, the Indian curry dishes are consistently good to very good. If you like curry, that is ...
Old Jul 13, 08, 9:43 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM

Must be a catering issue with PDX and BOS. I know the food out of DTW is on a par with the finest French cuisine
Old Jul 13, 08, 10:55 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post
Hello flyingbroom, welcome to FT! ^

Do let us know what you think of the food in C. All of us, but especially the NW lurkers here, need to know about the direction NW is heading.

Bon voyage!
Wife and I are flying MEM-AMS on Tuesday in C. Will try and post some photos of the food.
Old Jul 13, 08, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Don't see much difference.....

I've flown coach several times each year and have never felt that food has diminished in quality. I am however one that eats and enjoys any type of food, so I'm not overly critical of food or have any dislikes. I tend to clear my tray almost every time It's a wonder why I don't gain weight.

Jiburi
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:17 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
I tried NW 60 (operated with a 757) on BOS-AMS for the first time a few days ago (I'm usually using the earlier A330, or the AF flight) -- and got surprised by a particularly bland-to-disgusting piece of chicken being served as dinner; "breakfast" consisted of a single granola bar. (This is, obviously, in Economy.)

LOL - on NW60, NW42, and NW56 (all in the past three months), I've had the exact same chicken and rice "dish" in Y. Each time, accompanied by the exact same Club crackers and cheddar, dinner roll, salad, and Brussels cookie. That meal has almost reached Spinzel status (that is, you don't set foot on an eastbound NW TATL without eating their bland chicken and rice).

That said, WBC food & service on NW45 two weeks ago was outstanding. Smoked salmon appetizer, ginger beef, perfect sundae, the fruit and cheese plate later on -- life was good. ^
Old Jul 14, 08, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
When flying Y on KL TATL (not infrequently!), I always take the Asian vegetarian option. While I'm not a vegetarian, the Indian curry dishes are consistently good to very good. If you like curry, that is ...
Just hope you are not on one of those flights where they serve the main meal on narrow long light-brown cardboard "trays" that KL have been using sometimes.

If you get the normal more regular rectangular tray meals, then the meals are better.
Old Jul 14, 08, 5:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Just hope you are not on one of those flights where they serve the main meal on narrow long light-brown cardboard "trays" that KL have been using sometimes.

If you get the normal more regular rectangular tray meals, then the meals are better.
Haven't seen those ones, no. On the AMS-YYZ-AMS at least, the meal presentation is very nice -- and on plastic trays!
Old Jul 14, 08, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
Oh man, I must have gotten really unluckly when I ordered the curry MSP-AMS a year or so ago. Still, today, I consider it the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten on an airplane. (Eaten probably isn't the right word, perhaps... sampled...).

I have always disliked the egg mcmuffin, yogurt, preserved fruit combination. I would rather have had the granola bar described by the OP than to eat that again.
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:31 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
My last DTW-FRA A330 wasn't great, yet wasn't that bad. Food was edible, reminded me of a decent frozen dinner. In the morning, yogurt, fresh milk, etc. Breakfast was actually better then dinner. And sitting in row 10, liquids were right there, all night. Looking forward to DTW-LHR A330 in WBC, to see how that stacks up.

Steve B.
Old Jul 14, 08, 10:37 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
catering seems to vary

PDX-AMS late June, the food in C was pretty decent. The appetizer plate has been downgraded significantly. The high point was that the wine selection, only 2 of the 6 reds were offered, but they were fairly decent compared to some of the past offerings.

On the return, AMS-PDX, I had the ginger beef. One of the most disgusting preparations that I have had in over 40 years of commercial flying. Beef chewy which I can live with but covered by a gloppy sauce of unknown origin (perhaps scrapped off the bottom of the truck that pushes back the airplane from the gate). Extra water was not offered to wash the cr*p off and it probably was not water-soluble anyway.

They did give out lots of nuts including Macademias and offered refills.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: