FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Check-in online? or kiosk? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/834080-check-online-kiosk.html)

flyer89 Jun 13, 2008 6:02 am

Check-in online? or kiosk?

Hello there,

As the title stated above, should I checked-in online or kiosk? I have a trip coming up tomorrow,booked today via nwa.com for $148 all-in:D. Just wondering, cause last time when I checked-in online I got 250 miles for that:D. So if I decided to checked-in at the kiosk do I get any kind of bonus miles like online? :o

Thanks!^

Any inputs would be appreciated, and have a great day. ^:cool:

jimc_usa Jun 13, 2008 11:26 am

I do not believe there any "offers" for Check-in-online bonus points anymore.

If you check-in-online you can change your seat but if you have no status not much else.

sbagdon Jun 13, 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flyer89 (Post 9872749)
Hello there,

As the title stated above, should I checked-in online or kiosk? I have a trip coming up tomorrow,booked today via nwa.com for $148 all-in:D. Just wondering, cause last time when I checked-in online I got 250 miles for that:D. So if I decided to checked-in at the kiosk do I get any kind of bonus miles like online? :o

Thanks!^

When was the last time you flew? :)

I check-in online, then re-print at the kiosk. VDBs are based on last-checked-in, and besides, you might snag a better seat.

Steve B.

BobH Jun 13, 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flyer89 (Post 9872749)
Hello there,

Thanks!^

A lot of people like to check in on line because it saves time at the airport and to many of us that's a pretty nice bonus.

Bob H

gj83 Jun 13, 2008 11:43 am

Are you checking bags?

The last time I didn't check in online for NW it took me 45 minutes to check in waiting in line, but if you have a bag you will have to wait in line anyway.

If you have no bag to check then definitely check in online.

OhSoBlessed Jun 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Always check-in online, and remember you can check-in 24 hours prior to departure. I would hate to be one of the last to check-in at the airport only to find your window or aisle seat has somehow been changed to a middle seat and that's the only seat open!

oliver2002 Jun 13, 2008 12:42 pm

You might want to sign up for the miles to go promo:
http://www.nwa.com/offers/milestogo/...togo_226x60.hp

KenfromDE Jun 13, 2008 12:44 pm

It was pointed out in a previous thread that the entire NW computer system crashed and nobody could get a boarding pass needed to get through security. Your computer generated boarding pass is insurance against a recurrence.

fti Jun 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 9874710)
VDBs are based on last-checked-in, and besides, you might snag a better seat.

Steve B.

My experience with denied boarding (and I have quite a bit with voluntary) is that VDB is based almost solely on the first to volunteer. IDB is based on last-checked-in.

John

flyer89 Jun 13, 2008 1:36 pm

The last time I flew was Jun 3rd and return on Jun 4th for $155, and yes in my account it stated "Description of Mileage Credit...Earn 250 miles with nwa.com check in"

flyer89 Jun 13, 2008 1:41 pm

About better VDBs or seat snag if check-in late. I understand that logic but flights number: 256, 1440, 117 appears to be quite emptied. So late or not, I'll still be assigned to back of the plane seats>:( (Wonders if you can just ask the GA to switch my seats to front?). Plus I have no bags to checked-in, it's like a mileage run 4673 miles for $148, 2 days advance purchase, same day return. So I'll just carry on my snacks ;), ipod:D, and that's it. ^

Vegas Agent Jun 13, 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 9875246)
My experience with denied boarding (and I have quite a bit with voluntary) is that VDB is based almost solely on the first to volunteer. IDB is based on last-checked-in.

John

Perhaps this has been pointed out somewhere already but NW is testing in several select cities a "hidden bid" system for VDBs. In other words, you will set the least amount you will volunteer for and the lowest bidder will be selected. The days of the automatic $300 DBC may be gone (actually it was never supposed to be automatically $300 but I realize most agents don't offer less as they are instructed to).

sbagdon Jun 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 9875246)

John

You are correct! Bad typing on my part...

Steve B.

gretchendz Jun 13, 2008 4:45 pm

My experience

I always do online check-in first at home after the following experience:

We were flying out of DTW to Japan. DTW is a 2 hour drive from our home. I rarely did online check-in at that point, but I did this time on a whim.

When we got to DTW there had been a huge system failure and they could not issue boarding passes. Since we had ours, we got on. The flight, almost always fully packed, was half-empty, with many folks sitting sadly at the airport. If I hadn't printed them, we would have had to wait until the next day (if we were lucky) to get out.

As someone else mentioned, you can always print new BPs at the airport if you want :)

I'm now religious about printing my BP at home, even if I have checked bags. :)

mnredfox Jun 13, 2008 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 9874710)
When was the last time you flew? :)

I check-in online, then re-print at the kiosk. VDBs are based on last-checked-in, and besides, you might snag a better seat.

Steve B.

You can still move seats after OLCI too. Just need to reprint the BP. ^