Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

UA Follows Suit on First Checked Bag

Old Jun 12, 08, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG

Today UA announced that they have followed suit with AA and instituted a $15 fee for the first checked bag effective in August with many of the same exclusions. I don't know if the rest of the legacy carriers were taking a 'wait and see' approach to see if the fee would stick, but apparently UA has decided it is time to follow suit.

It appears that NW and DL are holding the line for now but you have to wonder how long it takes before this thing takes hold across the board. Next thing you know they'll all be putting a coin lock on the lavatory doors.
Old Jun 12, 08, 3:35 pm

Years ago I joked to a friend who was flying ATA, "If the flight attendent takes up a collection for fuel, by all means donate, that is an investment in yourself!" I wonder how much longer that will be funny.
Old Jun 12, 08, 3:45 pm

US just annouced that all soft drinks will be buy on board, the 15 dollar bag charge, and the elimination of elite bonus miles. Ironically, I bought my first (and likely last) US ticket with my own funds today (I still will fly them for work, I suppose), fortuantely my trip is before these new charges kick in.
Old Jun 12, 08, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by humanoid94 View Post
US just annouced that all soft drinks will be buy on board, the 15 dollar bag charge, and the elimination of elite bonus miles. Ironically, I bought my first (and likely last) US ticket with my own funds today (I still will fly them for work, I suppose), fortuantely my trip is before these new charges kick in.
Don't charge the new fees and go bankrupt.
Charge the new fees and lose customers and go bankrupt.
This is just postponing the inevitable.

You can't save yourself from poor operations with more fees.

There is going to be a severe reduction in air travel due to the increased fuel prices. Leisure travelers will be priced out of traveling and businesses will look for alternatives.

Now I just need to find some resort company stock to sell short.
Old Jun 12, 08, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
$30 RT is nothing in relation to the entire cost of most trips. However, for me, the personal feel for this kind of charge (and on charging for soft drinks when security won't even allow you to bring your own drinks any more) is not good - is one of tackiness. Perhaps they are trying to reduce demand?
Old Jun 12, 08, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Who will be the first to enjoy the fruits of Chapter 7, UA or US? If NW/DL can just refrain from playing monkey see, monkey do, they might get to feed on the carcasses.
Old Jun 12, 08, 8:50 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
Who will be the first to enjoy the fruits of Chapter 7, UA or US? If NW/DL can just refrain from playing monkey see, monkey do, they might get to feed on the carcasses.
Exactly!! NWA, Are you listening?
Old Jun 12, 08, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
US will charge $15 first bag, PLUS BEVERAGE FEE & ELIMINATION OF ELITE MILES BONUS

US has followed AA and UA with the $15 first bag charge.

Worse yet, US has announced $2 non alcoholic beverage fee starting August.

...and to top it off, elimination of Preferred Status Mileage Bonus.

It's beginning to seem that we'll soon be flying Skybus afterall. Southwest will be the only premier carrier left with baggage allowance and free snacks and beverages.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Jun 12, 08 at 10:06 pm
Old Jun 13, 08, 12:54 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
Southwest will be the only premier carrier left with baggage allowance and free snacks and beverages.
... and customers.
Old Jun 13, 08, 6:47 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

NW may very well be the next to charge

Delta, Continental and Northwest told CNN they are not charging for passengers' first checked bags. However, a spokesman for Northwest said the airline is well aware of changes in the industry.

Ominous comment, eh?
Old Jun 13, 08, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
Worse yet, US has announced $2 non alcoholic beverage fee starting August.
And I thought the hotel vending charges for a can of soda pop was exorbitant. Nothing like having a captive customer.

Last edited by dmitzel; Jun 13, 08 at 8:43 am Reason: Spelling...
Old Jun 13, 08, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
I think NW will be next to announce it, maybe tuesday
Old Jun 13, 08, 2:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
Originally Posted by giggy View Post
I think NW will be next to announce it, maybe tuesday
I agree with giggy. NW will follow suit. Honestly I am surprised it has taken this long for an airline to charge for non-alcoholic drinks. In fact, NW has been a leader in initiating many of the fees (think roach choice seats, etc).

John
Old Jun 13, 08, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sh9168 View Post
Exactly!! NWA, Are you listening?

I would encourage ALL Elite and non-elite customers to drop a note to NW and praise/encourage the lack of a fee for the 1st checked bag. NW/DL (CO and other Skyteam carriers as well) can differentiate themselves from the competition by not going this route and perhaps gain some valuable business in doing so!!! Just my 2 cents from the other side of the counter.
Old Jun 13, 08, 4:01 pm

Programs: DELTA
Angry Not To Get Off Track

I am a loyal NW FF. So this was really no skin off my back. But US Air announced that they too would charge for the first checked bag, in addition to raising the price of booze to $7 AND inaugarating a new $2 charge for non-alcoholic beverages!

I sent US Air customer relations a special letter stating that I am going to "cease and desist" from flying their airline in the future, due to the over commoditization (is that a word?) of theiir airline in light of these changes. I also stapled my old America West FlightFunds card and told them that I thought they could really use the recycle value of the plastic it took to make the card and that I was happy to surrender it since I won't be needing it ever again in the future.

-A

Search this Thread
Search Engine: