Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too Good To Be True? (credit card)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Too Good To Be True? (credit card)

Am I missing something?

I have a WP Visa card, got it about 9 months ago. Got a signup bonus, no fee the first year.

So can I actually get a WP "Business" card - get 20K miles, PLUS another fee-free year, plus 200 points in the current promo - all for more or less nothing?

Especially since the cards will probably disappear anyway when the merger closes!
Old May 30, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
There are more than one type of WP personal visa too. Apply them all. They make great memorabilia once NWA is gone.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Two words: credit capacity. Watch out for taking on too much available credit, or your existing lenders will do things to you. Unspeakable things.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Two words: credit capacity. Watch out for taking on too much available credit, or your existing lenders will do things to you. Unspeakable things.
This claim is made very often here and on other boards. The fact is that it depends on the individual. When credit cards starting ramping up their offers in 2005, I went from having 1 rewards card to basically all of them in order to get the bonuses. I've seen no adverse effects and my credit score has gone up since then.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by notsosmart
or your existing lenders will do things to you. Unspeakable things.
You got to owe them something first.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
This claim is made very often here and on other boards. The fact is that it depends on the individual. When credit cards starting ramping up their offers in 2005, I went from having 1 rewards card to basically all of them in order to get the bonuses. I've seen no adverse effects and my credit score has gone up since then.
I agree! I have had many cards, still have 9 "active" cards, all 1st year free. My credit rating is still "very good".
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
I agree! I have had many cards, still have 9 "active" cards, all 1st year free. My credit rating is still "very good".
Same here I have most cards and received all the bonus miles. Tend to cancel when annual fee is billed All have a different reaction I cancelled the AA card and have been getting monthly offers for another AA card. Called to cancel the Barclays US Airways card and they offered to give me the same card with a lifetime no fee but would not get the "Free companion" ticket each year which I have never been able to use and no one day admit to US Airways club. Delta Amex is sending monthly offers after I cancelled but I notice the free miles are only for "first time card holder"

By using the cards I have enough miles for European trip on United, US Airways, Delta and Northwest and, in addition, have used miles for European trips each year over the last four years. I am a leisure traveller not a business traveller.

My credit rating has not suffered and I try to keep the same dollar value of credit availability.

Cancelling all your high valued credit cards Will hurt your rating. You can have the cards and just not use them or replace one with a lower annual %
rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.