Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charges for Infant in Lap in WBC

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Charges for Infant in Lap in WBC

Any ideas what the charges for an infant in lap in WBC is?
i.e. if the fare is $5,000 -- what would be fare incl. taxes etc that NWA would charge for an infant.
Old May 17, 2008, 8:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by RoRan
Any ideas what the charges for an infant in lap in WBC is?
i.e. if the fare is $5,000 -- what would be fare incl. taxes etc that NWA would charge for an infant.
For an international itinerary, the infant almost always pays 10% of the adult fare plus some but not all of the taxes and fees. Taxes and fees are always extra over and above the base fare. So if $5000 is the base fare, then the infant pays $500 + taxes. How much in taxes depends on what the routing is.

John

Last edited by fti; May 18, 2008 at 8:02 am Reason: typo on amount
Old May 17, 2008, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

10% or 1%? you said 10% that would be $500?
Old May 17, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Thumbs down

I'm sure the people on the $5,000 fares in the seats around you will be greatly appreciative of your screaming lap infant in WBC. Many of the passengers in business class are there because they need to arrive at their destination fresh and rested, something they won't be able to do if your child isn't perfectly behaved for the entire flight. It would be nice if NW would only sell an infant fare in coach, in my opinion if you want to put your infant in WBC then you need to pay the full $5k for it.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by fti
For an international itinerary, the infant almost always pays 10% of the adult fare plus some but not all of the taxes and fees. Taxes and fees are always extra over and above the base fare. So if $5000 is the base fare, then the infant pays $50 + taxes. How much in taxes depends on what the routing is.

John
I recently bought an infant-on-lap ticket on AF int'l coach. The adult fare was $2000 all inclusive and the infant-on-lap fare was $570 all inclusive. When I asked about the 10% rule, the AF ticketing agent told me that the 10% is calculated based on the adult 'full' fare. The coach full fare on the route I booked was over $8000. The discounted non-refundable fare was $2000.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:35 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
$25 for second carry on.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fti
For an international itinerary, the infant almost always pays 10% of the adult fare plus some but not all of the taxes and fees. Taxes and fees are always extra over and above the base fare. So if $5000 is the base fare, then the infant pays $50 + taxes. How much in taxes depends on what the routing is.
I think you need to go back to school on percentages!

If it's a 5k fare, 10% would be, of course, $500. Taxes and fees might bump it up to $600-$800 total.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hw711
$25 for second carry on.
What?

$25 for 2nd checked luggage only applies to flights in North America, and certainly not on business class tickets. I've never run into an airline that charged more for a permitted carry on.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Many of the passengers in business class are there because they need to arrive at their destination fresh and rested, something they won't be able to do if your child isn't perfectly behaved for the entire flight.
Any other of classes of people you would have NW exclude from WBC on the basis of generalizations and your wish for in-air perfection? Maybe people who babble in tongues incoherent to you, or foreigners who bring aboard strange smelling foods, or those people who block the aisle when they kneel in the aisles to pray in a certain direction...
Old May 18, 2008, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm sure the people on the $5,000 fares in the seats around you will be greatly appreciative of your screaming lap infant in WBC. Many of the passengers in business class are there because they need to arrive at their destination fresh and rested, something they won't be able to do if your child isn't perfectly behaved for the entire flight. It would be nice if NW would only sell an infant fare in coach, in my opinion if you want to put your infant in WBC then you need to pay the full $5k for it.
Please be sure to let me know when you're in WBC when I'm with my lapchild so I can make sure she screams in your general direction.

Thankfully, passengers don't get to pick who sits in certain sections of the plane. If they did, there'd be dress codes and weird rules that would exclude everyone except the beautiful people and those that wear evening clothes to fly.
Old May 18, 2008, 6:14 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Can we please sticky a thread, that we can refer to when these posts begin.

Title the thread :

Rants about kids (in Y and WBC), and the requisite rants in response (by other FlyerTalkers) about the people who rant about kids.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:03 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by sntrao
I recently bought an infant-on-lap ticket on AF int'l coach. The adult fare was $2000 all inclusive and the infant-on-lap fare was $570 all inclusive. When I asked about the 10% rule, the AF ticketing agent told me that the 10% is calculated based on the adult 'full' fare. The coach full fare on the route I booked was over $8000. The discounted non-refundable fare was $2000.
I have read that some airlines/agents say that but it has not been my experience. I have always seen 10% of the lowest available fare.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I have had mixed results on this and I always get different answers. Here are three recent experiences I've had.

Earlier this month, I was looking at purchasing 2 WBC Z fares plus an INF90 (10% infant fare). The IN90 fare was 10% of the Z fare, so about $210+ or $290 all in. In the end, I just bought 3 of the Z fares, and the baby will get the CH25 (25% discount), which came to about $2100 for her.

I also looked at purchasing last year's AF mistake fare MAN-SYD which was, IIRC, about $2100/person in AF Z class. The IN90 fare was about $400 all-in IIRC.

This year, I bought two WBC award tix MAN-AMS-BKK on KL metal the whole way. The adult fares were 120k miles + $250 tax and the IN90 fare was about $300 all in, and it was based on a Z fare.

In all of those cases, the IN90 fare was based on the lowest available business class fare, which happened to be Z in all 3 cases.

CAVEAT... I don't know what would happen if I bought a J fare somewhere. Would the baby get charged 10% of J or 10% of the lowest available? That I can't answer.
Old May 18, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Can we please sticky a thread, that we can refer to when these posts begin.

Title the thread :

Rants about kids (in Y and WBC), and the requisite rants in response (by other FlyerTalkers) about the people who rant about kids.
Sure, no problem.

I am annoyed by people that talk loudly on the phone prior to takeoff. Can we ban (once again) the use of any phones on the plane? They bother me.
Old May 18, 2008, 9:32 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sure, no problem.

I am annoyed by people that talk loudly on the phone prior to takeoff. Can we ban (once again) the use of any phones on the plane? They bother me.
RichMSN --- you might have something here.

The complete I'm annoyed by XXX, RANT thread. That should cover everyone and everything.

Have a RANT -- just point your browser to the RANT THREAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.