Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Will NW Match UA/US No 500 Mile Min.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Just got an e-mail from United that says that they are dropping the 500 RDM/EQM minimum effective on flights starting 01 JUL 2008. Wonder how long it'll be before NW/DL match this craziness?

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...programchanges
Old May 14, 2008, 1:09 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Yes

They will all match it
Old May 14, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time, especially with DL at the wheel. Those midwestern city and hub hops are going to be a lot less valuable now.
Old May 14, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
I remember WAY back in the day when the DL minimum was 1,000 miles (pre-SkyMiles).

This one of those situations where I have a hard time believing they'll save "that much" in revenue to justify making customers angry and viewing it as one more cut by the airlines.

Personally, it isn't a big deal to me, but at the same time, I can't say it makes much sense (of course, it doesn't make much sense that they had such a rule in place to begin with).
Old May 14, 2008, 1:57 pm

Worldperks is basically a lame duck program. I think all eyes must look toward DL. This is just another sign that the game is coming to an end. Without decent FFP programs, one might as well fly the cheapest/most convenient for each flight.
Old May 14, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
In a previous thread a FT'er mentioned that the continual erosion of program terms and benefits are making the "FF elite game" far less fun than it used to be. If NW (New DL) ends up matching this, I'm out. I might as well take a sedan service to DTW, rather than connect from FNT, as without the 500-mile minimum and EQS there is no longer any incentive to risk delayed connections, cancellations, long layovers, etc. in order to secure elite status.

I'd often put up with the latter for the extra miles and segments, but without either it just ain't worth it - the incentive to do so is gone. Flying n/s out of DTW, I'd be lucky to make Silver due to my low-mileage domestic flying pattern. Without EQS, the picture is even worse. With the new DTW North Terminal - and likely increased competition that will arrive with its opening – I can envision myself on other carriers much more than I had utilized in the past out of FNT, which has NW, CO and DL Skyteam options.

No 500-mile minimum and no EQS, and I will shop flights solely based upon price and schedule, period. Status will no longer matter as it will be mostly unattainable, or irrelevant at the SE level. Shorter trips will either be by car or train, depending upon destination. Common sense and economy-class convenience – rather than FF-program incentives – will prevail. Certainly less UGs to FC for me, but also less $$$$ into NW-DL’s coffers.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
since DL dosen't have flight segments, i don't think its a good idea to take out the 500 miles rule, as they will start lossing a lot of bussiness from small town connector flights. Since those flights are where DL/NW have most of their pricing powers. Once people start driving to larger cities to start their flights, they're have a lot more choices. It would be a really dumb move for them to take it out, the savings are nowhere close to the profits they will lose.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I know for sure that I (and every other employee at my company) would no longer have any reason to stick to NW. We only tolerate the connection for the fact that we get just enough miles for status. To me, its almost 15000 miles a year. We are all based in Chicago, so we easily can switch to UA/AA and save us some time.

I can see a lot of the ORD NW passengers switching unless they have non-stop reasons to fly NW. If they REALLY wanted to steal pax, go back to DLs 1000 mile minimum...ORD fliers might just ditch UA/AA for that one.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
After reading the last few comments, I'm hopeful that someone is reading and taking notes. I too am among those who will ditch NW/DL and go with AA <cringe> if the elite qualifying segments really do bite the dust (which I suspect they will).
Old May 14, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Economics will be a greater factor for ALL the players... when the extra drive & parking @ DTW becomes $1.68 cheaper than FNT fares .. well, 56 miles ain't worth much.

/.
Old May 14, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Phil2016
After reading the last few comments, I'm hopeful that someone is reading and taking notes. I too am among those who will ditch NW/DL and go with AA <cringe> if the elite qualifying segments really do bite the dust (which I suspect they will).
Me, too. If either AA or UA offer EQS and NW/DL doesn't, I am jumping ship.
Old May 14, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
According to my email from United: "Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) are not affected." So, people that earn status through segments won't be affected, although certainly most will have fewer miles to utilize.

I'm in the same boat with seemingly everyone else. Most of my platinum years have been from mileage flown, not through segments. I fly a lot of <500 mile flights so this will definitely make me re-evaluate other airlines.
Old May 14, 2008, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Now that UA have gone this way, it's absolutely inevitable.

In truth this particular measure won't affect me much - my average segment length last year was almost 2000 miles. But there's nothing to feel safe about. The next measures will, I'm sure. I fear that other measures associated with the DLsaster will make the program not worth membership. Besides as RDMs diminish, the opportunity and incentive for MRs diminishes, the restrictions on awards ramp up, the availability declines, and the value of the program is on steep downhill slide.

Like many of you, I'm not booking nearly as far ahead as I used to. By this time I'd normally have paid itins scheduled through March 09, but I have nothing except awards beyond Sep this year. And I'm running down my WP account, or I would if I could get worthwhile redemption.

The end is coming, as we surely knew it would some day. Let's admit it, we've had a great ride on the redtail and their allies. From what I see, the DL system is comparable to others and will remain so as they all degrade in phase, which means it's a whole tier below WorldPerks.

Now, before that happens, get me into J cabin on AM5!! Despite the award tool showing standard level availability, I can't book it and neither can the WP Elite line agents despite trying many different routing combos
Old May 14, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
My difference in flight miles with and without a 500 mile minimum was 10107 miles with almost all the flights significantly under 500 miles on NW (SUX-MSP & OMA-MSP). With PE and class bonuses that is well over 25k RDM or a RT PerkSaver ticket this change would cost me. On UA the OMA or FSD to DEN or ORD are all over 400 miles so not such a big loss of miles.

Last edited by youngbru; May 14, 2008 at 4:17 pm
Old May 14, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I can see the other airlines sticking it to UA on this one to try and differentiate themselves. The rule change won't save UA that much money, and it really doesn't cost NW much, especially compared to the anger that flyers will show if they do change it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.