Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-flight drink in First?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Pre-flight drink in First?

I flew FNT-DTW-STL today and was upgraded to First on both segments. It's been a while since I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade, so I was wondering if things had changed...I was not offered a pre-flight drink on either segment (not even water). I know sometimes when flights are running late this is skipped, but both flights were on schedule and there would have been plenty of time. Are they not offering this anymore?
Old May 13, 2008, 7:22 pm

They are still offered. Just bad luck, bad flight attendants, or some other unknown factor.
Old May 13, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I received a pre-departure drink on my DTW-LGA flight last Saturday.
Old May 13, 2008, 7:43 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Do a TTU or maybe send a PM to Scoop....this is a frustrating issue for me, since they are suppose to do it but often don't without good reason...
Old May 13, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by humanoid94
They are still offered. Just bad luck, bad flight attendants, or some other unknown factor.
I had upgrades on two flights this week on Mesabe 900's and a grand total of zero preflight beverages.

Question of the day -- is that the norm for that aircraft.

Bob H
Old May 13, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BobH
I had upgrades on two flights this week on Mesabe 900's and a grand total of zero preflight beverages.

Question of the day -- is that the norm for that aircraft.

Bob H
4 CRJ900s in the past 4 weeks and always pre-departure drinks
Old May 13, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I usually get the pre-departure bev when I'm in F, but have also experienced the random lack thereof when nothing seems to be cause for not receiving one. On my last trip about 10 days ago the Captain was kind enough to let us all know they asked the FA to remain seated the entire flight due to possible turbulence (never happened, but good move imho for safety) and there would be no beverage service.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I've found that flights leaving from satellite cities have the worst pre-flight beverage service percentage. Even if the flight is on time, the drinks rarely come out. I like to ask for it whenever I feel there's time to do it just to remind them that we do notice when they fail to deliver.

Flights departing from hubs are a bit better. Compass states that it's against company policy to serve the pre-flight drinks, so things will certainly change for the worse in this regard as we lose the 9-ers.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by BNAChairman
Compass states that it's against company policy to serve the pre-flight drinks...
Interesting
Old May 13, 2008, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by humanoid94
I've noticed real inconsistencies in this area as well. Also, with fuller flights and battles-of-the-bins in back, it seems like there will be more skips just from that this summer. But in some cases it did appear the FAs weren't doing it when they might've.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I've had pre-departure drinks on Compass flights. My next one is on Friday afternoon - I'll let you know!

I also feel that it seems to be a random thing - not necessarily related to on-time departure. I always want to ask about it when they don't do it, but I don't want to seem like an arrogant know-it-all! The one time I did ask, a few years back, I got this HUGE rant about how she is not allowed to leave the front door as she is required to physically eye everybody boarding the plane for security purposes. Are FA's trained to spot bad guyz?
Old May 14, 2008, 9:03 am

Location: Memphis, TN Hyatt Plat, NW Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Emeral Exec
Originally Posted by davetravels
I also feel that it seems to be a random thing - not necessarily related to on-time departure. I always want to ask about it when they don't do it, but I don't want to seem like an arrogant know-it-all! The one time I did ask, a few years back, I got this HUGE rant about how she is not allowed to leave the front door as she is required to physically eye everybody boarding the plane for security purposes. Are FA's trained to spot bad guyz?

The only time this would be an issue would be on the dc9-30 since there are only two FAs and one is in the back. "Trained to spot the bad guyz???" Sorta kinda. During boarding we are supposed to be keep an eye out for drunk pax, pax who are acting strangely or may be problems inflight, looking to make sure bags will fit and other things. We can leave the boarding door though not for extended periods and I personally find it incredibly rude to not greet pax when they come onboard so if I'm lead on this a/c I usually wait for a lull in the boarding to get coats and drinks orders but I always do predepatures when time permits. Honestly, it's just part of the job and I'd rather do it than have 16 pax giving me that icy "why aren't you getting me a drink" stare that is oh so uncomfortable.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Thanx for responding! I'm glad to finally hear from a FA about this! I certainly realize that FA's have a zillion things to do, but I just can't understand - as I'm sure that others here will agree, because it's been discussed umteen times before - as to why, when everything's on schedule, do quite a few FA's seem to simply disregard what I guess is company policy as to serving pre-flight drinks in FC!?!? Isn't that one of the things that makes - First Class - feel like - "First Class"?
Old May 14, 2008, 3:43 pm

Even so the service is indifferent. Sometimes I can order coffee, sometimes the choice is water with no ice AND sometimes no service at all, because the FA's are talking and nodding at the boarding pax. No checking.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Thanx for responding! I'm glad to finally hear from a FA about this! I certainly realize that FA's have a zillion things to do, but I just can't understand - as I'm sure that others here will agree, because it's been discussed umteen times before - as to why, when everything's on schedule, do quite a few FA's seem to simply disregard what I guess is company policy as to serving pre-flight drinks in FC!?!? Isn't that one of the things that makes - First Class - feel like - "First Class"?
I ahve to agree as the lack of consistency, makes me understand why few people buy F tickets, versus get the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.