Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-flight drink in First?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 12:05 am

Location: Memphis, TN Hyatt Plat, NW Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Emeral Exec
Originally Posted by jimc_usa
Even so the service is indifferent. Sometimes I can order coffee, sometimes the choice is water with no ice AND sometimes no service at all, because the FA's are talking and nodding at the boarding pax. No checking.
Unfortunately, you're gonna get FAs who are indifferent, heck if you get me on a 6am flight out of MNT after 6 hours of sleep or on the last leg of a 13 hour day I may not be my usual bubbly self and chances are that I might not CARE much if you get a drink BUT I will be professional, polite and do my job so I'm not sure what difference the FA being indifferent makes. However, if you are offered water and want something else, ask for it. I fly with FAs who say they're just going to go through with water and when I'm lead I don't allow it unless there is a real reason that predepartures can't be done. I think it's pretty tacky. I honestly don't get why there are so many inconsistencies. If I can, I do. If I can't I let you know why. It's that simple.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MEM FA
I honestly don't get why there are so many inconsistencies. If I can, I do. If I can't I let you know why. It's that simple.
^ I think we are in perfect agreement here! That is exactly what we [pax] expect in F. If the circumstances permit, we want a predeparture drink. If not, please let us know and it's all good. We don't understand why all the inconsistencies either. If most FA's do it, why can't ALL FA's do it (again, when circumstances permit)?

We certainly appreciate the ones who do their job well and I for one don't hesitate to TTU when I feel that congratulations are in order. Thanks for not going along with "I'll just go around with water" when you are the lead FA. ^
Old May 16, 2008, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Well, things went better on my trip home. Didn't get the upgrade STL-DTW but did get it on DTW-FNT. Dianna, our flight attendant, was very pleasant. She reminded us that there wouldn't be an in-flight drink service due to the short length of the flight and offered not only drinks but also pretzels and nuts prior to the flight. It was such a welcome surprise that I did a TTU to compliment her on her cheery attitude and professional service.
Old May 17, 2008, 8:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Ok, here's the scoop on pre-flight drinks on Compass flights:

I flew yesterday (May 16) on NW 2072 MSP/PIT and had a looong talk with the FA. I asked him VERY politely so as to not seem like a jerk / know-it-all (as I mentioned above) as to why we didn't get any drinks on the ground and if this is company policy. He told me that he ALWAYS serves drinks on the ground unless the situation doesn't allow for it. In our particular situation yesterday, catering was at fault for not bringing the drink carts til the very last minute (I didn't notice it - but I wasn't really paying attention) and there was an end-of-boarding issue with not enough overhead bin space and had to gate check some bags leaving him no time for even a water service. HOWEVER - - here's the scoop on company policy:

He said that it DEFINITELY IS company policy TO DO pre-flight drinks - but there are some situations where it isn't possible - such as:
Late departures - of course - we all know about that one - and when the FA is tied up with other issues. A couple of things I didn't know about or think about: The alcohol carts must stay sealed in Canada, Mexico, and in 6 states while on the ground. I think the states include OK, OR, AZ - I can't remember the other 3. (He actually showed me the page in his reg book!!) He said that sometimes the water and even the plastic cups are in the alcohol cart - so he can't serve drinks.

I told him that in today's climate of economic cutbacks, there is VERY little difference between FC and coach. The LITTLE things make a HUGE difference as to FEELING like First Class service compared to coach!! I told him that nobody would pay the outrageous fares for a FC ticket unless they're going to get some level of service that is noticibly above Y - and I did point out that I don't buy FC tix - I'm always upgraded for free - but that shouldn't make any difference. I told him that at the VERY least, a water service when there's no time for full drink service shows that the FA isn't lazy and is trying to provide as much FC service as he/she can. I also told him that I don't know if it's possible, but, maybe if the FC pax were told WHY they aren't getting drinks on their flight, it could at least smooth over the impression of a lazy FA a little! He actually told me that there ARE many lazy FA's!!! particularly at NW, he said - where he used to work before Compass. He said that Compass has a VERY different mentality / outlook on customer service than NW. They are trying to be different and better and he really enjoys working there compared to NW.

I told him that I was going to post this in an online travel forum. He asked me which one. I told him FT - - He told me he's a member!! FA's - - PLEASE don't bash me for saying that there are many lazy FA's - - I was only repeating what an FA told me!!

Lastly, the whole conversation made me feel good because I felt that I was able to make a statement from a group of people with a valid, unresolved issue. Whether it'll make any noticable difference - probably not. I may continue to ask FC FA's VERY POLITELY - as to why no drinks were served in the future with hopes of some increase in service.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Wink

Originally Posted by mb1136
She reminded us that there wouldn't be an in-flight drink service due to the short length of the flight and offered not only drinks but also pretzels and nuts prior to the flight.
Beverages are still to be offered on short flights in first class.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
NW369 JFK-MSP this morning, I got on, FA asked if I wanted a drink, I made a selection, drank it, she asked if I wanted another, I said yes, drank that, and was actually offered (but declined) thirds.

(Of course, I was just drinking orange juice)

So it all averages out - I figure there should be 1 or 2 people who didn't get their drinks to balance out me getting offered 3.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by davetravels
The alcohol carts must stay sealed in Canada, Mexico, and in 6 states while on the ground. I think the states include OK, OR, AZ - I can't remember the other 3.
That explains why no toddy before departing PHX. I was wondering about that because lead FA was doing magic tricks for the many kids as they were boarding and having them all announce their names over the pa system as they cleared the boarding door. After a 30-minute boarding delay a pass of the snack basket would have been nice.
Old May 20, 2008, 7:28 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by spartacus
That explains why no toddy before departing PHX. I was wondering about that because lead FA was doing magic tricks for the many kids as they were boarding and having them all announce their names over the pa system as they cleared the boarding door. After a 30-minute boarding delay a pass of the snack basket would have been nice.
Thanx for reading my post!! It became unintentionally much longer than I intended - I didn't know if anyone actually read it!! - But I thought it was stuff important enough to post!! Particularly since the FC drink issue is of so much interest to everyone here!
Dave
Old May 20, 2008, 11:22 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
0 for 2

Having not flown NW in several weeks myself, I was happy to be upgraded for all four segments this week (GRR-DTW-PIT and back). ^

So far, I'm half way through the itinerary, and 0 for 2 for pre-flight beverages. There was no clear reason for not having the service on either flight (other than the FAs needed to catch up on magazine reading). On both, we were boarded and the door was closed with several minutes until scheduled push back.

On the plus side, this was my first experience with the Embraer 175. Nice aircraft.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by OhSoBlessed
Beverages are still to be offered on short flights in first class.
DTW FNT flights are typically in the air for a grand total of about 15 minutes....

I've been offered a beverage in FC on this run while in the air, but usually it's just a plastic glass of water.

Bob H
Old May 22, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by jwlowry
On both, we were boarded and the door was closed with several minutes until scheduled push back.
Pre-departure service (when offered) is supposed to be completed before door-closing. On most carriers, the policy is that cups be picked up and galleys secured prior to closing - and definitely before push-back.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:36 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Leaned something new

Originally Posted by xfa617
Pre-departure service (when offered) is supposed to be completed before door-closing. On most carriers, the policy is that cups be picked up and galleys secured prior to closing - and definitely before push-back.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Learned something new, actually

Last edited by jwlowry; May 22, 2008 at 2:37 pm Reason: Bad spelling
Old May 22, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
That's it in a nutshell. What's mildly irritating when it's a freebie is downright high blood pressure inducing when you've paid for it and then don't get it. Like others here, I've seen no consistent pattern. If there is a reason you can't serve pre-flight drinks (catering didn't arrive in time), why not just say so? But I've only had it happen maybe once or twice that the FA was pro-active about explaining that catering was late and there were no pre-flight drinks. And I don't think it was just an excuse because she provided terrific service once we were in the air. Sometimes, just informing people is enough to make them understand.

Originally Posted by troyintn
I ahve to agree as the lack of consistency, makes me understand why few people buy F tickets, versus get the upgrade.
Old May 22, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You didn't know that because how many times have we taken off and we still have our cup. Plenty plenty. But I'm not about to file a complaint about that particular issue, since I assume that at least the FA tried to serve drinks, then got real busy with some complicated passenger's issue, and didn't have time/forgot to clear the cups. They are plastic, even if we do have a boo-boo, I can't believe that they are going to effect my survival.

Originally Posted by jwlowry
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Learned something new, actually
Old May 22, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
ORD - consitant NO PRE-DEPARTURE beverages, NW Scoop, what gives?

Originally Posted by davetravels
The alcohol carts must stay sealed in Canada, Mexico, and in 6 states while on the ground. I think the states include OK, OR, AZ - I can't remember the other 3. (He actually showed me the page in his reg book!!) .
It was in 2005 when in moved from PHX, and maybe these regulations are new, but I always got a pre-flight bevvy in FC on NW out of PHX. And I flew a lot.

Now I am in Chicago, meaning I always fly out of ORD, and most of the time return to ORD (sometimes MDW). I have been in Chicago for 9 months now, and fly out of ORD at least twice a month. Lets see, its about 18-20 times when I was supposed to get a pre-departure beverage in FC. I got it ONCE. Yep, ONCE! I got water or water twice, water of orange juice once, and the rest 15 or so times, NOTHING. I specifically started to watch if the catering is late, if we are delayed, etc., and most of the times we are perfectly on time and by the time I board the catering is already on board. What gives with ORD departures?

Now, I realize that 9 out of 10 departures out of ORD are on DC-9's, but if it is indeed SO hard for FA to serve pre-dep bevvies on DC-9's, that should be made a policy. Otherwise, not serving beverages in a situation when catering is on time, there is no delay, and we are on a DC-9 is just an excuse, and nothing else.

I completely gave up on even thinking there will be a pre-departure beverage on a flight from ORD, and I don'tr think writing TTU's will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.