Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW2040 Emergency Landing in Fargo [Compass FA sets fire in ERJ-175 Lav]

NW2040 Emergency Landing in Fargo [Compass FA sets fire in ERJ-175 Lav]

Old May 15, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Lighters are no longer banned, so he did not "smuggle" anything. I do hope he gets the full 20 years. What an azz.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GRR_FlyGuy
What the H*ll is the deal with this kid? Fargo is a GREAT city. Nice Airport. I was there once for 25 minutes connecting from vegas for a $300 voucher. . . you betcha dar now.
The flight was not originally going to Fargo. So maybe he actually really likes Fargo, and this was his best effort at getting where he wanted.

Unfortunately, looks like he'll be staying there for a long time.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: NW GE
Wow. This will be bad.
Old May 20, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Cybershaz
Fire is always unnerving on flights. I was on a CO flight ORD-EWR a few years ago and there was a fire in the cockpit. We emergency landed at CLE and had all the fire trucks surround us, etc. Was ever more scary as my two cats were in the cargo hold!
Not as scary as a fire on a Navy oiler. Happened to me in 1978 while sitting on 800,000 gallons of JP-5 jet fuel and diesel fuel while refueling an aircraft carrier when they didn't connect the grounding wire on the boom and a resulting spark lit the rig up and the fire swept back to us up the hose. It was like watching a fuse burn in slow motion but happened in just seconds.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You don't like your job, don't go! Sheeesh, setting the plane on fire is certainly no solution! I normally don't expect this behavior, except from burnt out NWA employees!
Old May 21, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Quite a shock -- Even the Sydney (Oz) papers were picking up this story. I hope they throw the book at him.

I may also need to take back some earlier comments about pax being inconvenienced by the questioning & investigation at such an early hour. It seemed such a remote possibility that anyone on the plane (let alone a crew member) would do such a thing.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:00 pm

The plot gets a little bit thicker, the FA accused was aboard another flight that had an on-board fire five weeks earlier that had to make an emergency diversion:

Originally Posted by Associated Press
FARGO, N.D. — A flight attendant who pleaded not guilty Thursday to setting a bathroom fire aboard a jet was also on a plane whose lavatory caught fire about five weeks earlier, a federal prosecutor said.

In both cases, 19-year-old Eder Rojas helped put out the fire, Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Reisenauer said.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Just absolutely bizzare. Lock him up and put him on the blacklist so he never gets near an airplane again after he gets out.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by bearcat74
Just absolutely bizzare. Lock him up and put him on the blacklist so he never gets near an airplane again after he gets out.
What good is a blacklist when you can fly without ID under an assumed name?

Hang him.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:29 pm

Flight attendant takes flight on eve of airplane fire trial

The flight attendant accused of setting a fire in a washroom on board a flight to Regina last May has apparently fled and failed to appear in court on Friday in Fargo, N.D.

Rojas had been staying at a halfway house in Fargo but left without permission, said Brett Shasky, the assistant U.S. attorney prosecuting the case. The trial was expected to begin Monday, and will get underway as scheduled if Rojas is found by then, Shasky said.
Wow... This just keeps getting worse. Its amazing enough that someone who allegedely attempted to murder over 60 people was allowed to stay in an unsecure half-way house.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They should have just kept him locked up! Let's hope he really didn't take a flight when he was taking flight!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They should have just kept him locked up! Let's hope he really didn't take a flight when he was taking flight!
at least not any of my flights
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
I don't know about you guys - but as a passenger, these sorts of incidents just burn me up!

du dum *Tsch*

Last edited by td_in_training; Sep 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:42 am

Flight attendant may be en route to Mexico

Dale Dirksen, another Regina resident who was on the flight, said he is more concerned with how Northwest Airlines (which owns Compass Airlines) deals with the larger issues raised by the problems on the May 7 flight.

"I feel like there are safety issues that are really important. They include how companies screen their employees, how they train their employees and then how they take responsibility for their employees. That I would like to see resolved ... and I don't see Northwest doing it voluntarily," he said. "I don't feel like Eder Rojas is really much of a danger anymore. I feel like Northwest actually is."

Some pretty harsh words...
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by pitz
Harsh or not... public perception is going to look at NW some. Some will argue culpability, some will argue responsibility, some will argue spin-control... this perspective is bound to come up.

Steve B.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.