Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Old May 8, 2008, 2:35 am

Programs: AS
SEA - anywhere for NW is just good news for me, though I'll be really thrilled if it's SEA-SIN-SYD.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by jjvan
NW still operates 2 747-200's. They are used for charter service, and sometimes subbed on other flights. They have been seen operating HNL-MSP and AMS-MSP from time to time.
I beleve all of the 747-200s are assigned to a multi-year MAC. At least according to a MAC FA I sat next to, a month or two ago.

Steve B.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:09 am

I think KIX makes the most sense. Righ now the only way from the west coast to KIX is via HNL, which is out of the way. SEA-KIX (along with the AS codeshares) wiill allow NW to compete more effectively against UA for west coast KIX bound traffic.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by hooverer
Can NW use 5th freedom to do a SEA-KIX-china or SEA-NGO-china bypassing NRT and slot limits perhaps using some of their soon to be dormant frieghter (using belly space for some cargo and passengers on main deck) authorities out of china to Japan and onward to Sea, or, would they need seperate and new authority similar to a Conus - China nonstop?

-H
NW's 5th freedom rights include all of Japan, not just NRT. As far as China slots go, I'm not sure.
Old May 8, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I don't think they're about to convert 747-200F frames to passenger service.
I dont believe that NW would convert 742F back to passenter service either, instead, they can use belly space in the passenger A/C. For example if NW dedicated cargo 742s are pulled out of a market, put either an A332 or 744 on that route, put some passengers on the main and upper deck, and as much cargo as possible down in the basement, hardly anything new for NW as they currently do it.

However, NW can go into a market and haul as much cargo as possible in the belly instead of in dedicated 742 cargo, and put some passengers on the route to suppliment the cargo while developing the route, overtime, shift the balance from a cargo flight suplimented with passengers, to a route that sustains its self on passenger suplimented with cargo.

For example if an A332 can depart with 180 passengers (75% full) with an average of 1 bag at 50lbs each (a big assumption), thats 4.5 Tons, leaving about 11.5 Tons of avaiable cargo capacity based on wieght as opposed to space. A scenario could be 450 items wieging 50lbs each that fit into some number of LD containers, at a rate of $100 per item, that's $45,000 in revenue oppourity plus what ever can generated from main deck passengers as an example.

-H
Old May 8, 2008, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bk42
NW's 5th freedom rights include all of Japan, not just NRT. As far as China slots go, I'm not sure.
NW has 21 combo slots that it can use to serve China (from the US, Japan, or any other country that will give it permission to do so).
Old May 8, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by bk42
Precisely, NW can use their 5th freedom rights assuming slot availability anywhere in Japan in theory using NGO, KIX or even HND. However what's not clear is what authority does NW need or already have (e.g. those that have been used for cargo) to use to go into China or elsewhere. If NW has the rights from China to Japan and onto the Conus however NRT is slot constrained, then NW could use their 5th freedom to coordinate (e.g. NGO or KIX) flights on a smaller scale than NRT, well, at least in theory that's the concept.

-H
Old May 8, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Can't see any kind of real market to MNL
Acutally there's quite a large Philippino community here, but I don't know that it would be enough to support daily service. PR has in the past tossed SEA out as a potential destination from MNL. But, with YVR service, I'm not so sure that'll ever happen.
Old May 8, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
SEA-MNL n/s is too far for A332 or A333. And route is surely not starting with a NW 747-400.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94
I think KIX makes the most sense. Righ now the only way from the west coast to KIX is via HNL, which is out of the way. SEA-KIX (along with the AS codeshares) wiill allow NW to compete more effectively against UA for west coast KIX bound traffic.
Makes sense, similar arguments can be made for NGO except that there is no HNL-NGO flight on NW.

Many routes have been cut by other carriers at KIX, the latest announcement being AC's YVR-KIX ending in October. Maybe enough has been cut that NW sees an opportunity.

Now that NW will be starting DTW-PVG next year, maybe they'll move NRT-PVG to SEA-PVG. This would be similar to UA's strategy with a west coast-PVG nonstop along with a midwest-PVG nonstop.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by hooverer
Precisely, NW can use their 5th freedom rights assuming slot availability anywhere in Japan in theory using NGO, KIX or even HND. However what's not clear is what authority does NW need or already have (e.g. those that have been used for cargo) to use to go into China or elsewhere. If NW has the rights from China to Japan and onto the Conus however NRT is slot constrained, then NW could use their 5th freedom to coordinate (e.g. NGO or KIX) flights on a smaller scale than NRT, well, at least in theory that's the concept.

-H
My understanding is that only Japanese flagged carriers can use HND with the exception of Korean flagged carriers, KE and OZ, on flights to and from Seoul.

Help me out if I'm wrong....
Old May 8, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by 98103
Acutally there's quite a large Philippino community here, but I don't know that it would be enough to support daily service. PR has in the past tossed SEA out as a potential destination from MNL. But, with YVR service, I'm not so sure that'll ever happen.
Not to be pedantic, but....Filipino is spelled with an "F" and one "p".
Old May 8, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Hotels.com
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Not to be pedantic, but....Filipino is spelled with an "F" and one "p".
I think you left a "3" out of "s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1"
Old May 8, 2008, 10:58 am
Suspended

The secrecy is killing me!

Why can't the police raid the place.

I want to know!

We should riot!

KIX is fine. Even KIX-MEL is ok.

NW did fly to Melbourne via Japan and a same flight number to the US before.

The suspense is killing me!

Last edited by thezipper; May 8, 2008 at 4:18 pm Reason: consecutive posts by OP
Old May 8, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Must be somewhere it already flies to. Else the preparation at the destination, if it is a new one would have been announced by the eager destination airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.