Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Letter from Bob Soukup regarding future of WorldPerks Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 1:10 pm
Company Representative - Northwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: NW WorldPerks

Dear FlyerTalk friends,

It was my pleasure to meet a few of you at the Freddie awards last week. I appreciated getting the Industry Impact award, but was even more excited that the WorldPerks Elite program narrowly missed being named the best airline Elite program. We’ve always maintained that we can’t be most generous in all categories, but strongly believe that our Elite members deserve the best treatment.

I do read and appreciate the numerous questions and concerns on this site regarding the future of the WorldPerks program. As I’ve stated before, you can be assured that your miles and status are safe, but obviously many people want more information. Many of you have undoubtedly seen recent comments about which name will survive, and that has made you nervous regarding our beloved WorldPerks program.

Obviously, the program is more than a name and I think everyone understands that. The short story is that we don’t know yet what a merged program would look like. Only if a merger is completed can NW and DL coordinate program policies. For us to do that now would be illegal. We simply can’t discuss it.

What I can promise you is that everyone involved is interested in making not just the biggest, but the best frequent flier program in the world. If the merger is approved, we will be working diligently to ensure keep the best parts of both programs.

In the meantime, we are continuing to invest in WorldPerks and enhance the value proposition for our members. In the past two months, we have introduced PerkChoice (even with its current “warts”), launched WorldPerks auctions and launched several new WorldPerks partners including Avis, Hertz, etc. Plus, if you are a WorldPerks Signature Visa card holder, you’re currently able to redeem miles for merchandise. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out even more positive enhancements for our members (including several in May).

In addition, we’re continuing to deliver the best upgrade rate for our elites of any program in the industry. The average Platinum member gets upgraded about 90% of the time from full fares and about 85% on discount fares. This is something that we’re very proud of and know that upgrades are a key elite benefit.

I know this didn’t answer all your questions but it is the best I can do at the moment. We do have a new “NW Scoop” keeping tabs on postings and responding occasionally. Obviously, it will take some time for him to develop the same trust level that you had with the NW Scoop 1.

I appreciate your feedback and will continue to post occasionally. Thanks again for your continued business and patience.

Best regards.

Bob Soukup
Managing Director WorldPerks
Old May 2, 2008, 1:36 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Thanks Bob...

Many of us understand that it would be illegal for you to make any forward-looking statements regarding what the combined program will look like...
I think many of us are happier knowing that the folks from the WorldPerks side will (hopefully) be fighting against expirations and all the junk fees that Delta imposes on SkyMiles members...we're just worried that Atlanta will end up with the muscle on this, and completely gut WorldPerks simply by retaining all of the program terms of that inferior product.

Again, though, thanks for taking the time to communicate with us.

Regards,
Matthew Sinclair
Old May 2, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Thanks! I think that is all we expect for now but appreciate the communication!
Old May 2, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the update. WP should have won the best FF Program. I really hope the new program will have the strengths of both programs. I really don't want to lose all the exciting benefits I get from WP.

PS. I'm not sure if anyone is really that excited about WP Auctions though. Maybe if we can start selling our own things to earn miles. Now, that'd be really exciting.
Old May 2, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Thanks. It's great that you guys feel the need to participate in this forum even though you don't have to, and even though you're undoubtedly very busy continuing to manage the WorldPerks program.

It's one thing to be a member of a message board where we're all supposed "experts" on the ins and outs of a FF program, but it's something entirely better to have the actual experts come here and keep tabs on things and quell fears whenever possible. Kudos to that.
Old May 2, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks Bob,

we at KL-AF also love the long term relationship with NW and the way NW treats us. Let's hope the new DL-NW will continue their strong ties to KL-AF to generate a truely global alliance. Go NW! For me you have the best Elite program in the US. 14 NW segments in May are my personal tribute to this

Christian
Old May 2, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by NW scoop
The short story is that we don’t know yet what a merged program would look like. Only if a merger is completed can NW and DL coordinate program policies. For us to do that now would be illegal. We simply can’t discuss it.
It would certainly alleviate a good deal of my own worries is WP remains WP, at least for a while, but maybe one could explain how this is necessarily so? For instance, M&M is the umbrella program of several distinct airlines, and there is (or there was) an pan-Latin American program, this despite airlines remaining separate entities.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thanks for the updates Bob.

It's unfortunate I had to miss the Freddies this year, thus missed the opportunity to talk to you in person. Though perhaps it's to your advantage
This is something that we’re very proud of and know that upgrades are a key elite benefit.
You nailed it with this statement. This is one of the main reasons I'm very happy being a NW elite. Even as Gold, I sat up front most of the time ^

The next reason is because of the great elite agents in Chisholm and Seattle. They sure know how to take care of us elites by giving personalized service and will surely missed in the merger.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:03 am

WP is probably the best things going for NW and future Delta

Uh, it would be a very smart business decision to keep the WP system intact for the new post-merger airline. When you have such a large, and potentially volatile, product like a FF system in place for years with a track record of customer satisfaction, to see it dissolve wouldn't make sense - especially if the "solution" was to use a system (oh, say, like DL's) that had LESS customer-oriented perks. In fact, I would say that WP is one of NW's ( and the industry's) biggest success stories.

In an age and industry where the general customer satisfaction is VERY LOW and brand loyalty is waning, BOOSTING WP and making it BETTER would be a smart decision for the new airline. It would be THE CHIEF reason I stay with what we call at our house "the home team" and do not consider shifting my frequent flying to CO or UA. I love WP and you can see that most of the FT folks here do too. DTW and MSP are great hubs and NW/DL have the chance to be successful if it takes serious the basic concept of customer service with friendly/attentive FAs and a FF miles system that is truly customer-oriented as WP has done.

I am really appreciative and impressed that the NW WP leadership is reading FlyerTalk. The veterans on this site are some of the most knowledgeable flyers out there.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Bob - it's just a major concern for so many of us who love NW's program & services but have had so negative experiences with DL's program & services.

No one wants to jump ship - you do have some of the most loyal customers out there - but its very important to us that with the proposed merger that we feel like we'll recieve value of it to.
Old May 3, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Thanks, Bob, if for nothing else than the confirmation that we elites are being considered in this.
Old May 3, 2008, 8:24 am
RKG

Bob,

The WorldPerks program is possibly the best frequent flyer program out there. Please do not allow it to be gutted if this merger goes through.
Old May 3, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
I think everyone is resigned to this merger being a complete takeover and absorption of NW by DL, but if they consider the facts regarding the reputations of the FF programs, maybe they should make the new program take the NW name.

DELTA WORLD PERKS. Say it a few times. Delta World Perks. Think about it. Delta World Perks.

Are you listening Atlanta?
Old May 3, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
First off, thanks for the note. Second, I'm sorry our paths didn't cross in PHX....perhaps another time.

Given the truly horrific history that SkyMiles has had, WP is most assuredly the better "brand" of FF program to take forward. Just be sure to take more than just the name -- be sure that the reason for the WP "value" continues on.

FWIW, I did my ballot-bit for NW Elite program....got a full 10 from me.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
What must Worldperks do to keep me loyal?

Thanks for the letter Bob. I too was happy that NW got close to a real Freddie!

As has been pointed out in other threads there is a lot of teeth gnashing going on about the possible merger. As a 7 year NW elite, I have stuck around during the lean times, strikes, and last years Summer of Love. If the merger only results in all the top benefits going in the toilet, then I will certainly feel betrayed, and will be looking for a partner that has not Tomahawk Chopped its FF program.

Tied for first, the most important benefit is being able to get awards fairly easily, with no nonsense fees, such as fuel surcharges, close in ticketing fees, or redeposit fees for Platinum members. Also, no more increases in the mileage needed for awards. In recent years, we've seen 35k US-South America awards increase, as well as 90k Biz class awards US-Asia. Looking at all the nonsense that DL has announced lately gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

I flew 220k+ EQM last year, and 80% was on NW or its partners. I may originate my flight in the US, South America, Europe or Asia. If I'm dinged $200 for fuel surcharges on an award ticket, it's no longer a free ticket. On my NW flight this week, the FA reminded everyone about earning free tickets by flying on NW. Government mandated taxes, I understand. Anything else is just reaching into my pocket.

The other first place category is North American upgrades. I've kept loyal to NW, and often pay substantially more for their flights because of the excellent upgrade percentage. I'm averaging close to 90%, even though I often don't get upgraded at the 6 day window like I used to. This week I had a 4 segment, 2 day trip, and was upgraded on all legs at the 6 day mark. This is a very important reason why I fly NWA.

Keep the Chisholm folk! Customer service has almost always been the best thing about NWA. I can call up at 5pm, or 3am, and get friendly, knowledgeable folk. If my plane is late, most often I have my new ticket waiting for me when I exit the airplane.

Last month, I had an international biz class ticket on DL. My connecting flight was seriously delayed, causing me to miss the once a day flight to South America. No help from the agent at the gate. I was pointed to the customer service center outside of security. So were the 100 other people who stood in line with me for almost two hours. There was no elite line. No FC/Biz line. If this is what I have to look forward to, then I'm genuinely frightened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.