FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   How long has NW flown LAX-LAS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/814831-how-long-has-nw-flown-lax-las.html)

TonySCV Apr 19, 2008 9:53 am

How long has NW flown LAX-LAS?

I couldn't believe it when I was searching for flights and saw the lone A319 flight available for purchase. It wound up being the lowest cost option for the weekend I was looking for as well. Being based out of LAX, it's been 20 years since I've flown NW, but I'm looking forward to it again. :)

- T

mot29 Apr 19, 2008 10:50 am

Not sure how long they've been flying it, but it seems timed perfectly to connect with the NRT flights -- arriving from LAS in time to make connect to NW 1 and heading back to LAS in time to allow NW 2 passengers to clear immigration and customs in LAX and make the connection. And not quite as good a connection to the HNL flights, but not too bad.
I'd guess the airplane arrives in LAS from one of the hubs about an hour before departing for LAX and heads back to one of the hubs from LAS.

james318 Apr 19, 2008 11:00 am

It's been at least since '99. My first LAS trip was DTW-LAX-LAS.

TheMadBrewer Apr 19, 2008 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 9600044)
Not sure how long they've been flying it, but it seems timed perfectly to connect with the NRT flights -- arriving from LAS in time to make connect to NW 1 and heading back to LAS in time to allow NW 2 passengers to clear immigration and customs in LAX and make the connection. And not quite as good a connection to the HNL flights, but not too bad.
I'd guess the airplane arrives in LAS from one of the hubs about an hour before departing for LAX and heads back to one of the hubs from LAS.

They have been doing it at least four years -- I had to go visit a client at a trade show for the day and was surprised to see they a flight and a one way ticket was competitively priced -- the return time wasn't convenient so I flew WN. It was like 500 EQM fell out of the sky.

They also used to have an occasional flight to SFO from LAX -- took that one maybe 10 years ago to watch the Dodgers beat those other folks...

mot29 Apr 19, 2008 11:44 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer (Post 9600111)
They also used to have an occasional flight to SFO from LAX -- took that one maybe 10 years ago to watch the Dodgers beat those other folks...

Sort of like the SNA-ONT flight they flew in the early 90s? It was actually MSP-SNA-ONT; the plane spent the night at ONT and was one of the morning flights back to MSP. I don't think you could actually buy an SNA-ONT ticket.

bcphitau Apr 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I never flew LAS-LAX or LAX-LAS when I lived in Las Vegas on 2005 and 2006 as, for some reason, the flights were either sold out or way more expensive than other options.

I did, however, have the opportunity to fly LAX-LAS, then connecting to LAS-IND on NW in April 2007.

It was the same aircraft LAX-LAS as LAS-IND, FYI...

worldwidedreamer Apr 19, 2008 6:09 pm

I think NW used to fly LAS-NRT and the LAS-LAX flight with the NRT connection is the runner-up prize

tvnwz Apr 19, 2008 6:51 pm

The flight is used mainly as a connecting flight with NRT. Often it is sold out with just connecting passengers. It was started after NW cancelled the 742 LAS-NRT flight in the early 2000's.

AndrewC75 Apr 20, 2008 8:41 am

There's a pretty detailed thread about this flight over on airliners.net, if anyone is interested:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/3926378/

notsosmart Apr 20, 2008 11:11 pm

I've looked for this flight many times when flying HNL-LAX-LAS, and have never been able to book it, due to it being zeroed out with connecting pax, or at the very least only Y and other high fares available.

So I do HNL-LAX on NW or CO and then Ted to LAS. An extra $100+ and no NW EQM. Bummer.

Vegas Agent Apr 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 9601641)
The flight is used mainly as a connecting flight with NRT. Often it is sold out with just connecting passengers. It was started after NW cancelled the 742 LAS-NRT flight in the early 2000's.

Ah, if you don't mind me correcting you, the LAS-LAX flight operated prior to and during the operation of NW77 (3x/wk LAS-NRT flight). At the time of the LAS-NRT nonstop, it carried primarily LAX-KIX passengers when NW operated that flight.

Mrp Alert Apr 23, 2008 12:02 am

Originally Posted by notsosmart (Post 9606428)
I've looked for this flight many times when flying HNL-LAX-LAS, and have never been able to book it, due to it being zeroed out with connecting pax, or at the very least only Y and other high fares available.

So I do HNL-LAX on NW or CO and then Ted to LAS. An extra $100+ and no NW EQM. Bummer.

Often NW 627/628 are 0ed out for Japanese tour groups. OTOH, there are NW coded AE operated flights throughout the day as well as DL flights which all earn NW EQMs. AS generally runs LAX-SEA/PDX-LAS for $20 more than a nonstop. Otherwise, to avoid Ted (rar!) AA, US, WN also operate this route nonstop.

xliioper Apr 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I got DTW-LAS-LAX routing once (it was cheaper than DTW-LAX direct). The back was pretty much full, but there were only 2 other pax up with me in FC. Seems like an easy flight for upgrades.

bcphitau Apr 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Agreed - it appeared to be a pretty easy upgrade in my "one flight" experience.

There WAS an off-duty FA by the podium trying to talk the GA into giving her the F seat instead of me as an Elite, if you can believe the nerve.

As I recall after boarding we were the only two people in F, and I can only hope she felt stupid for trying fight me over 16 open seats.

Probably wishful thinking, tho.

itsaboutthejourney Apr 24, 2008 4:27 pm

The one time I tried NW LAS-LAX, the flight was canceled. Luckily no biggie for me to wait for a rebooking since LA is home, but I felt bad for all the folks heading back to Asia that were on that flight. Seems like NW does a good business with this flight.