Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: Save WorldPerks!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
One often-mentioned action is to write Congress, or specifically Jim Oberstar. Here is an email link for Jim Oberstar:

http://wwwc.house.gov/oberstar/zipauth.htm

Here is his snail mail address:

2365 Rayburn HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-6211

On a scale of 1 (failure) to 10 (success) I rate writing Congress at about a 2. They can make noise but they won't stop the merger.

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Mergers don't make the oil price go down!
I feel that oil is a red herring that is being used to justify the merger.

The price of oil, specifically a sharp drop thereof, could stop the merger, or at least send Steenland and Anderson out in search of more herring. However, this requires a discussion of monetary policies and politics that would have to take place in OMNI.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 17, 2008 at 10:03 am
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:02 am
Suspended

Succesful mergers are a rarity in the airline business and with the poisonous labor situation they have created this one is a disaster waiting to happen. Watch labor bring the whole house of cards down for both.
Yes, there are certainly more failed airline mergers than there are successful ones. However, I think this is a risk the industry is ready to take. The current business and competitive environments - including generous elite benefits and frequent flier programs - have not proven to be sustainable. Airlines have to take drastic steps to stay in business.

Oil? An excuse, nothing more. Mergers don't make the oil price go down!
No one has said mergers will make oil prices go down. Mergers will reduce some costs and provide more pricing power, allowing the survivors to increase prices to cover their higher cost base.

Airlines have to charge more for tickets to save themselves, not to mention the current incarnations of their frequent flier programs.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:46 am

A merger has at least as much chance of creating the financial stress to kill these airlines as it does illusory savings to make them stronger. That is particularly true with the poisonous labor situation they are creating. If one wishes to see NW strong, they should oppose this merger.

I also wonder about AF stirring in this merger mess. It may be they see a balled up mess of a merger bringing both to their knees, and a change in the law to allow them to own a US airline, creating a situation where they can come in and pick up the pieces. Who knows what their real end game is. I do see that they are trying to fade into the background to be less obvious, but if the merger happens, expect to see them buy their way in and be the 1000 pound gorrilla on the board.

Originally Posted by sxf24
Yes, there are certainly more failed airline mergers than there are successful ones. However, I think this is a risk the industry is ready to take. The current business and competitive environments - including generous elite benefits and frequent flier programs - have not proven to be sustainable. Airlines have to take drastic steps to stay in business.

No one has said mergers will make oil prices go down. Mergers will reduce some costs and provide more pricing power, allowing the survivors to increase prices to cover their higher cost base.

Airlines have to charge more for tickets to save themselves, not to mention the current incarnations of their frequent flier programs.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:09 pm
Suspended

A merger has at least as much chance of creating the financial stress to kill these airlines as it does illusory savings to make them stronger. That is particularly true with the poisonous labor situation they are creating. If one wishes to see NW strong, they should oppose this merger.

I also wonder about AF stirring in this merger mess. It may be they see a balled up mess of a merger bringing both to their knees, and a change in the law to allow them to own a US airline, creating a situation where they can come in and pick up the pieces. Who knows what their real end game is. I do see that they are trying to fade into the background to be less obvious, but if the merger happens, expect to see them buy their way in and be the 1000 pound gorrilla on the board.
No one said the merger does not come without risks. However, management at both airlines has been clear that in the current business environment, they can not be successful on their own and that a merger presents the best strategic option.

If you disagree with the BoD and management teams of NW and DL, I suggest you lay out a plan to keep NW and WP financially viable at $115+ oil.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:30 pm

No one said the merger does not come without risks. However, management at both airlines has been clear that in the current business environment, they can not be successful on their own and that a merger presents the best strategic option.

If you disagree with the BoD and management teams of NW and DL, I suggest you lay out a plan to keep NW and WP financially viable at $115+ oil.
Hey, my strategy would be wait for DL, UA, or US to die and then pick up the proven routes they have and enjoy the benefits of reduced domestic competition. NW has the strongest cash position in this game of chicken.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Hey, my strategy would be wait for DL, UA, or US to die and then pick up the proven routes they have and enjoy the benefits of reduced domestic competition. NW has the strongest cash position in this game of chicken.
I'm afraid you're going to have a wait a while for that to happen. US is sitting on $2.5bn unrestricted cash (which is more than ample for a carrier of its size); DL has $3.8bn unrestricted including a revolver (and its current standalone plan including the recently-announced cuts and oil at $110/barrel assumption projects unrestricted cash to be at $3.7bn by the end of 2008); UA has about $2.9 to $3.0 billion unrestricted cash. Not to mention that if push came to shove, DL and UA's strong European partners, AF and LH respectively, could conceivably inject additional capital (minority stake) if necessary into their biggest US partners.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Yeah, but not by much. One hiccup in Asia and the game could be over for anyone.

Besides, shareholders are not content to sit and wait, bleeding cash.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:15 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DesertMoonDavid
The two have very complimentary route systems,
I wish they were complimentary (i.e. free). I think you meant complementary.

John
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:31 pm

The problem is that their plan is about 1) Dougie's $10 million golden parachute which he doesn't get if he doesn't do a deal by June, 2) Anderson's ego, and 3) board members at both airlines who represent former bankruptcy creditors who want to churn their stock in an anticipated merger euphoria boomlet.

From what I am reading elsewhere, the stock's of both airlines have fallen sharply since the merger announcement, which of course means that investors think that this is a poor plan. The stock did better as standalones. That speaks volumes. And it also means those ex-bankruptcy creditors probably won't get to churn their stock.

Do you think these self-interested executives and directors smarter than the investors in the market? I don't!

Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
From what I am reading elsewhere, the stock's of both airlines have fallen sharply since the merger announcement, which of course means that investors think that this is a poor plan. The stock did better as standalones. That speaks volumes. And it also means those ex-bankruptcy creditors probably won't get to churn their stock.

Do you think these self-interested executives and directors smarter than the investors in the market? I don't!
Actually, if you look closely at the trading of both the DAL and NWA stocks the day after the merger announcement, the volume was indicative of speculators doing some "pump-and-dump" (prices were pumped up a day or two before the merger announcement as both the FT and WSJ indicated over the weekend that an announcement was imminent around Monday/Tuesday). Trading volumes returned to their normal averages the following day and today as well.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The problem is that their plan is about 1) Dougie's $10 million golden parachute which he doesn't get if he doesn't do a deal by June
What constitutes a "done deal"? I don't agree with these large payouts for a company that is bleeding millions. Give him a million, and free coach flights for a few years, and that'd be fine for me.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:37 pm
Suspended

The problem is that their plan is about 1) Dougie's $10 million golden parachute which he doesn't get if he doesn't do a deal by June, 2) Anderson's ego, and 3) board members at both airlines who represent former bankruptcy creditors who want to churn their stock in an anticipated merger euphoria boomlet.

I think ClipperDelta showed that yes, they are.

Since emergence from BK:

DAL down 62.48%
NWA down 61.46%
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Thanks for the list - I will write them all to say I *SUPPORT* the merger! I would rather one strong airline than two bankrupt closed down airlines. Accept reality here, unless you have the money to personally buy NW yourself.
It seems that many Skymiles members think the merger will bring them the benefits of the WorldPerks program, but I think Skymiles will only dilute the WorldPerks program for Northwest customers. The only ones who will benefit are Benedict Steenland and Quisling Anderson. Northwest shareholders will be paid with stock in the combined company, which will be about as valuable as Monopoly money in one or two years, IMO.
Dave
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: NW GOLD
Thanks for the list - I will write them all to say I *SUPPORT* the merger! I would rather one strong airline than two bankrupt closed down airlines. Accept reality here, unless you have the money to personally buy NW yourself.
Are you for real??? We don't have to "accept" anything untill the
deal is done.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA
What accept this sham arguement about no hub closers, no reduced capacity, more wages for everyone, etc? Be realistic, man. The street saw this merger plan and realized it was a bad deal for all parties (NW and DL are both down nearly 20% since the annoucement). The current plan for this merger is bad for consumers, bad for NW employees, and will actually increase the cost structure of both NW and DL.

Really, it is hard to see how anyone benefits from this merger except Steenland's buy-out and Anderson's ego.

Now a real merger plan would be, "We are going to close CVG and MEM, dramatically reduce capacity out of MSP and SLC, eliminate a bunch of front line employees, and sack all of NW's administrative staff." That would result in a stronger company that was actually poised to go forward.
Which is why I think it is fairly obvious that the "current plan" isn't the ultimate plan. It is an appeasement plan. Within 2 years at the most after a deal would be finalized you would see CVG MEM hub cuts or drastic reductions and employee down sizing. They aren't dumb. This way just reduces a lot of the opposition they would face in the process to get a deal through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.