Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: Save WorldPerks!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:43 am

I get depressed reading this thread. I do hope you - we - at least try. I say that as a DL flyer who has recently had her eyes opened. I am surprised that there is not more fight in people here.

Someone else said they were caught in mid-jump to NW. I was caught as I was preparing for my jump. I planned to requalify for gold at DL, maybe even push it to plat, then apply for a comp to NW. I was not that knowledgable on airline programs even though I had been an elite on DL for a few years until a co-worker told me about this site. I do some business flying domestically but most of my flying is leisure TATL flying. Some with a DL-orientation on this board may think that makes me a ''whore''. When I read the thread on DL's new surcharges on tickets from Europe, it was a no brainer that if can can do it to them, they will try to do it to those of us based in the US if they think they can get away with it. Curiously some of DL's most dogmatic defenders in that thread also show up on the merger issue as DL's most dogmatic defenders as well. Anyway, that got me to really looking at the different programs, and I actually had a ticket on NW a couple of months ago and the TATL experience on NW was light years ahead of what I was used to on DL. Studying the programs objectively, it was clear that NW's was better. I also read the Save Sky Miles site, and that was a real eye opener. It appears that it is not only DL supporters at FT that consider passengers like me a ''whore''. So does DL management.

Although I am not a NW elite or even Worldperks member yet, I hope I still will have a chance to be. I am willing to contribute on a project to fight the merger.

I remember that active opposition helped stop the UA/US merger. With LCC's folding, the competition situation is even more dire now, and that would seem to offer a good argument against allowing the merger and setting a precedent for more mergers. In an election year, this will be a political football, and that gives even more hope if passengers can put the heat on. I am sure that the NW employees will also be applying all the pressure they can.

I read about Save Sky Miles and the website, ads, boarding cards, buttons, etc. There is no reason why concerned passemgers cannot do the same here. If we don't try, were sure to lose. Save Sky Miles and the opposition to the UA/US merger were uphill fights, too, but they won in the end.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by sxf24
Here's the reality: the transaction will move forward regardless what some customers or minor shareholders think. At this point, the only thing certain about the future loyalty program is that it will be called SkyMiles. Until the merger is completed, nothing will be said about the program structure, benefits or management.
Actually I must beg to differ - we have no firm facts here including what the program will be called. Its entirely possible that management will "reboot" the whole thing. I'm not sure how many in the NW forum know this but DL's program has been through at least 2 very heavy transformations including a "currency change". I was with them once and fondly remember the "old frequent flyer" miles vs. the initial Skymiles program in the 90's.

I grant that there is a high probability the result will be more or less like the current Skymiles program but until something official actually comes out its all speculation.

That being said though I'm actually starting to reach a sort of acceptance of what will be is what will be. I can only hope that as I read between the lines given the relative overlap of the programs as compared with UA, etc. Compared with the competitors drawbacks (rationed upgrades on the various *A partners, CO's 50% EQM, etc.) I'm guessing the result will likely be a "queen of the pigs" compromise.

Anyway you want to slice it I do agree with the sentiment that this "acquisition" is essentially inevitable for better or worse. NW and DL were at growing risk of remaining going concerns in the current environment. I'm not sure the "merger" is going to create enough change to save them but it appears that the decision makers have placed their bets. Even looking at this from just the FF program situation some loss is inevitable given the warped economies the airlines have created with mileage earning. We're going to have to adapt regardless.

Last edited by pmaddock; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:37 pm Reason: incomplete sentence
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Cornerstones of Flyertalk include healthy debate and discussion from all viewpoints, whether in favor of the merger or not, whether from a DL-flyer perspective or not, so long as it deals with the nwa side of the discussion. The moderators will not stifle healthy discussion. But off-topic posts violate our Rules and Guidelines. Repeated off-topic & disruptive postings may very likely lead to disciplinary action. Refrain from taking a discussion off-topic. If you see a post that is off-topic, don't become part of the problem. Ignore it and report it.

Off-topic posts have been deleted.

slippahs
nwa forum co-moderator

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 16, 2008 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:35 am

Lets take action!

I don't like the idea of the merger for countless reasons, Here are two things you can do:

1.) Write to this address:

[email protected]

Let them know how you feel

2.) We who dislike the idea can call, write, and or e-mail your members of the Senate a whole list of them are up for election this year and let them know that your vote counts. Here is the list:

Baucus, Max (D-MT)
Biden, Joseph R., Jr. (D-DE)
Durbin, Richard (D-IL)
Harkin, Tom (D-IA)
Johnson, Tim (D-SD)
Kerry, John F. (D-MA)
Landrieu, Mary L. (D-LA)
Levin, Carl (D-MI)
Pryor, Mark L. (D-AR)
Reed, Jack (D-RI)
Rockefeller, John D., IV (D-WV)

Alexander, Lamar (R-TN)
Allard, Wayne (R-CO)
Chambliss, Saxby (R-GA)
Cochran, Thad (R-MS)
Coleman, Norm (R-MN)
Collins, Susan M. (R-ME)
Cornyn, John (R-TX)
Craig, Larry E. (R-ID)
Dole, Elizabeth (R-NC)
Domenici, Pete V. (R-NM)
Enzi, Michael B. (R-WY)
Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)
Hagel, Chuck (R-NE)
Inhofe, James M. (R-OK)
McConnell, Mitch (R-KY)
Roberts, Pat (R-KS)
Sessions, Jeff (R-AL)
Smith, Gordon H. (R-OR)
Stevens, Ted (R-AK)
Sununu, John E. (R-NH)
Warner, John (R-VA)

http://www.senate.gov/
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DesertMoonDavid
Ummm... I don't know, but maybe the NW pilots at the moment are getting zilch because they are trying to block the merger?!? DL pilots likely got the equity stake to entice them to support the merger. I would imagine that if the NW pilots were to support the merger, they would likely be offered an equity stake as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the NW pilots should only be offered equity if they work together with the DL pilots and management to build the merged entity into a stronger airline. If not, and if they continue to try to block the merger, then they don't deserve anything.

If NW goes under (or if DL goes under) as stand-alones, then all the pilots get is a place in the unemployment lines. And with 5 carriers going under this month so far, those lines already have a lot of pilots in them.
Umm... wrong. The reason the NW ALPA chapter isn't knuckling under is a parity issue - the junior (by hire date) DL pilots that got bumped up to INTL flying following the pre-BK ERO want to trump the senior NW crews. I can't blame the NW pilots one iota when some junior guy wants to see himself higher in the list simply because he's (for example) DL's #37, yet his hire date is years after you started flying for the Red Tail. Why the heck should the NW pilots accept that situation?!

NW ALPA chapter's position is merger the two lists by date-of-hire (fair). DL ALPA chapter's position is to "shuffle-the-deck" with DL's #1, followed by NW's # 1, then DL's #2... regardless of DOH. Is it NW's problem that DL offered early outs for their most senior pilots a few years ago? I say to the DL crews - too bad, accept dropping down the list for a few years until the senior NW guys retire, then you can recover your slots at that point. A little temporary pain for long term gain.

However, to tell the NW pilots "scr&w you guys" and accept being bumped down the list by junior aircrew from the "acquiring" company, well that's hardly fair and equitable IMO. I'm not even close to pro-union and I can see that. DL+NW management needs to offer the NW pilots a deal they can stomach, and DL ALPA needs to stop hogging the marbles like a bunch of spoiled kids.

Last edited by dmitzel; Apr 17, 2008 at 7:03 am Reason: Added kid reference.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:02 am

Although I am one of those Delta medallions, I was hoping to switch to NW until this disaster of a merger came along. I will write the entire list, and I will mention I am a Delta medallion who is against this merger.

We all need to write. This merger can be defeated.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flygirl29
Although I am one of those Delta medallions, I was hoping to switch to NW until this disaster of a merger came along. I will write the entire list, and I will mention I am a Delta medallion who is against this merger.

We all need to write. This merger can be defeated.
I'm no so sure it can be defeated but I too will write to this list over the weekend. I just got my status match/challenge from AA and am really thinking about canceling 4 trips I have booked on NW over the next 2 weeks. I am plat for 2009 (whatever that will mean) but it is either 1. work towards SWU's or 2. Get status elsewhere. I actually think it is too late to save me as there is no way they can make the kind of commitments it would take to keep me around..this has been a very bad week...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:27 am

From what I can read on other threads about most NW people's opinion of the merger, I am surprised that there is not more interest in making a fight of this thing. Is everyone still in shock?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Gold, SPG Gold, AA, UA, BA
Thanks for the list - I will write them all to say I *SUPPORT* the merger! I would rather one strong airline than two bankrupt closed down airlines. Accept reality here, unless you have the money to personally buy NW yourself.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Gold, SPG Gold, AA, UA, BA
Originally Posted by thedilllarys

Craig, Larry E. (R-ID)

http://www.senate.gov/
I can see why Larry Craig would oppose this merger - he'd have to resort to cruising for men at ATL instead of MSP, while at the same time trying to destroy the rights of GLBT Americans (of which he emphatically denies he is one - but yet he knows an awful lot about bathroom cruising)
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flygirl29
From what I can read on other threads about most NW people's opinion of the merger, I am surprised that there is not more interest in making a fight of this thing. Is everyone still in shock?
While there are many people that want to fight, I think some have accepted the reality is that the industry has changed and that oil prices will make it difficult to continue as independent companies.

You can save WorldPerks or NW, have your pick. (As not to indicate that NW is is worse off than DL, the choice is also between saving SkyMiles or DL.)
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DesertMoonDavid
Thanks for the list - I will write them all to say I *SUPPORT* the merger! I would rather one strong airline than two bankrupt closed down airlines. Accept reality here, unless you have the money to personally buy NW yourself.
What accept this sham arguement about no hub closers, no reduced capacity, more wages for everyone, etc? Be realistic, man. The street saw this merger plan and realized it was a bad deal for all parties (NW and DL are both down nearly 20% since the annoucement). The current plan for this merger is bad for consumers, bad for NW employees, and will actually increase the cost structure of both NW and DL.

Really, it is hard to see how anyone benefits from this merger except Steenland's buy-out and Anderson's ego.

Now a real merger plan would be, "We are going to close CVG and MEM, dramatically reduce capacity out of MSP and SLC, eliminate a bunch of front line employees, and sack all of NW's administrative staff." That would result in a stronger company that was actually poised to go forward.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
No airline, regardless of size, can be strong with $115/bbl oil. When (and if) the price of oil falls, the merged airline will be part of a small oliogopoly that will maintain fares well above the "competitive free market price" to the detriment of the public. That's why antitrust laws exist.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by bstreeter
No airline, regardless of size, can be strong with $115/bbl oil. When (and if) the price of oil falls, the merged airline will be part of a small oliogopoly that will maintain fares well above the "competitive free market price" to the detriment of the public. That's why antitrust laws exist.
. . . and need to be enforced!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:15 am

Succesful mergers are a rarity in the airline business and with the poisonous labor situation they have created this one is a disaster waiting to happen. Watch labor bring the whole house of cards down for both.

Oil? An excuse, nothing more. Mergers don't make the oil price go down!

Originally Posted by sxf24
While there are many people that want to fight, I think some have accepted the reality is that the industry has changed and that oil prices will make it difficult to continue as independent companies.

You can save WorldPerks or NW, have your pick. (As not to indicate that NW is is worse off than DL, the choice is also between saving SkyMiles or DL.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.