Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fare Guaranty Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Best Fare Guaranty Question

$100 ECV per PNR or per person?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
It's per person. Was lucky enough to get BFG for a party of three last December!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Cool -- my fingers are crossed for x 2.

I just went ahead & submitted it -- MSP-ORD $203 Expedia, $206 Travelocity, $239 NW.

Looks like nwa.com is lagging behind other sites in fare reductions. The 3 majors (UA/AA/NW) went up to $239 on what's normally an overly competitive route, and now AA & NW are backing off.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Cool -- my fingers are crossed for x 2.

I just went ahead & submitted it -- MSP-ORD $203 Expedia, $206 Travelocity, $239 NW.

Looks like nwa.com is lagging behind other sites in fare reductions. The 3 majors (UA/AA/NW) went up to $239 on what's normally an overly competitive route, and now AA & NW are backing off.
Good luck! I almost felt bad flying LAX-MSP for $118 -$100 ECV per passenger.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by lateacher
Good luck! I almost felt bad flying LAX-MSP for $118 -$100 ECV per passenger.
How long did it take to actually get the refund credit? My BFG was accepted after I sent more supporting documentation, they issued a new lower price ticket, (so my trip summary had two receipts and two ticket numbers) and I've already used the $100 ECV (well it's for a ticket to fly tomorrow). but so far (three weeks after the acceptance) they have not credited my CCard.

D
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by DWNewman
How long did it take to actually get the refund credit? My BFG was accepted after I sent more supporting documentation, they issued a new lower price ticket, (so my trip summary had two receipts and two ticket numbers) and I've already used the $100 ECV (well it's for a ticket to fly tomorrow). but so far (three weeks after the acceptance) they have not credited my CCard.

D
The refund posted to my account four days after the purchase. It was only two days after the original ticket posted.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What a crock. This so-called "best fare guarantee" is a complete and total fraud. If Expedia and Travelocity are not valid ticketing sources on which to base claims, what is?

This was a simple matter of fare changes not propagating to nwa.com as quick as to the competition. Within a couple of hours of my purchase, the exact same itinary and fare rules were available on nwa.com as on Expedia & Travelocity.

Unfortunately for NW, I'm not stupid enough to pay $478 for 2 tickets when they're available for $398. I'm still within the 24 hour limit and have cancelled the itin.
Dear MikeMpls,

Thank you for contacting nwa.com Customer Service.

We appreciate you choosing Northwest Airlines. We have reviewed your
claim for the Best Fare Guarantee and found that your request is not
valid. In the terms and conditions it states that the Best Fare
Guarantee does not appear to consolidator fares. Expedia is a fare
consolidator, and therefore, their fares are not eligible for the Best
Fare Guarantee.
We appreciate your patronage and look forward to
serving you in the future.

I trust this answers your request.

Thank you for choosing Northwest Airlines. We value your patronage and
consider it a privilege to serve your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Joe
nwa.com Customer Service

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

NW/KL nwa.com Online Support Form:
Title: Mr
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Mpls
Reply-To Email Address: MikeMplsEmail
Alternate Email Address:
WorldPerks Number:NNNNNNNNN
Email Address:MikeMplsEmail
Depart Date:06/28/2008
Depart Flight Number:NW0134
Return Date:06/30/2008
Return Flight Number:NW0135
Return Origin:ORD
Return Destination:MSP
PNR:XXXXXX
Number Of Travelers:2
Cabin:Economy/Coach
Competing Fare:$203 each
Lower Fare:http://www.expedia.com
========
Total competing fare (including $5/person expedia fees) is $203
I have screen prints for the same itin on both Expedia ($203/person) &
Travelocity ($206 per person -- higher agency fee than Expedia).
All searches (NW/Expedia/Travelocity) were simple roundtrip coach
searches specifying only: origin, destination, dates, 2 people.
========
Submitted: 04/15/2008 16:51:25
Form Navigation:
© Northwest Airlines 2006
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
What a crock. This so-called "best fare guarantee" is a complete and total fraud. If Expedia and Travelocity are not valid ticketing sources on which to base claims, what is[/INDENT]
You're right, that is a crock! My documentation was from travelocity.com. It was a valid ticketing source in November.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Submit it again only with just the Travelocity documentation.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DWNewman

D
I'm in the same boat. I submitted the form, and the E-Cert and new receipt were both issued on 4/3. No refund to my CC yet, though... I think it's about time for a call to NWA or maybe another TTU...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is my reply to NWA:
To: "Northwest Airlines" <[email protected]>
Subjecct: Fraudulent and Deceptive Practices

Attached below is the reply I received to a claim filed under Northwest Airline's "Best Fare Guarantee" offered on nwa.com. This reply from "Joe" in NWA's Customer Service department constitutes an outright fraud on the consumer.

The competing fares were not consolidator fares as claimed. They were exactly the same fares under exactly the same fare rules that were offered by NWA within two hours of my purchase. The fare differential was due to failure of NWA's servers (powered by Orbitz) to update pricing changes as promptly as they were reflected on Expedia's and Travelocity's services.

Please note that I submitted identical information from Travelocity as well (total was slightly higher to to Travelocity's higher agency fees). In addition, approximately 10 minutes after I completed the purchase from nwa.com, I sent NWA an email from my work email (MikeMpls@Work) entitled "Attachment for Best Fare Guarantee Form PNR XXXXXX" -- this email contained MS Word documents with screen images of both the Expedia and Travelocity purchasing information.

I'm not stupid. I am not going to pay $478 for two tickets that could have been purchased for $398 (and the price has dropped even further today). I promptly canceled the itinerary when I received "Joe"s disingenuous reply.

However, NWA still needs to make good on its Best Fare Guarantee. We expect to receive no later than the close of business today the two $100 ECV's (or equivalent value in miles -- 5,000 per person, 10,000 total). Since the itinerary has been canceled, obviously the refund of the fare differential no longer necessary.

If NWA fails to make good on its Best Fare Guarantee in the case, I will file complete documentation with the Better Business Bureau and with the Consumer Fraud office of the Minnesota Attorney General.

Also, please note that "Joe"s reply has been published in full (with personal information obfuscated) in FlyerTalk.com, and that the FlyerTalk community will be kept updated in regard to this fraud.

MikeMpls
Minneapolis, MN
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Success:
Dear MikeMpls

Thank you for contacting nwa.com Customer Service regarding the denial
of your Best Fare Guarantee Claim.

I am sorry that you felt deceived when your claim was initially denied.
After receiving the necessary documentation, the screen shots of the
fares from travelocity.com, we find that your claim is valid. Even
though your reservation is already cancelled, two vouchers for $100 each
have been issued in the name of you and your wife....
Note, however, that the documentation was actually submitted simultaneously with the claim yesterday afternoon.

So is Expedia a no-no for these?

I have a NW screen print taken later at the $199 price (x 2 = $398) that matches exactly the fare rules & prices (less agency fees) shown on the Expedia screen prints. There is no difference between the two once their pricing is sync'd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.