Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Wrongly denied admittance to WorldClub

Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I was flying from DTW to IAH on Februarary 10. I tried to go into the main WorldClub at DTW but was rudely denied admittance. The lounge dragons were very rude. After one told me that I could not be admitted, her co-worker chimed in (very loudly) to back her up. They said things such as, "We are a bar", "no one under 21 is allowed".

I am 18 but I was traveling with my sister who is 21. Not that it really matters, but I would not drink in the club. I was following all the rules but they still wouldn't let me in. Since they didn't let me in I had to hang out in the regular airport for 3+ hours. I just wanted to work on some homework and it's hard to find electrical outlets and a good work area in the regular terminal.

I did a TTU and received a response saying sorry and giving me 5500 miles. The reply included the following,
I am sorry you were so rudely denied access to the WorldClub and I am
sorry I cannot give you an answer as to specifically why were you
denied. American Express Platinum members do have access to our clubs
and those under 21 must be accompanied by a person or member 21 or over.
Do you think that's an appropriate resolution? I don't really want to fly NWA anytime soon knowing that I probably won't be allowed into the WC even if I follow the rules. So the miles don't really do much. I do appreciate the apology but I would've liked it if they provided me with a way to prevent this from happening again. I don't think I should have to fight with the employees to get into the WC...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Print the TTU response and bring it with you next time ... along with a printed copy of the Amex rules.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Is your sister also an AMEX platinum member? Perhaps they want someone over 21 with lounge privileges to be responsible for the underage guest?

I've always understood the "under 21 with over 21" to mean parents with children, not adults. I would not assume the TTU response is correct; the miles might simply have been for their rudeness.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Is your sister also an AMEX platinum member? Perhaps they want someone over 21 with lounge privileges to be responsible for the underage guest?

I've always understood the "under 21 with over 21" to mean parents with children, not adults. I would not assume the TTU response is correct; the miles might simply have been for their rudeness.
That is why I made sure to include NWA's response. The email stated "American Express Platinum members do have access to our clubs and those under 21 must be accompanied by a person or member 21 or over."

Also, on nwa.com, it says "Persons or members using the lounge must be 21 years old, or accompanied by an adult 21 years old or older."
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
There are two categories of WC users -- guests and members. This is the more complete statement of age requirements for guests from here:
WorldClubs members are welcome to bring immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two guests with you when you visit WorldClubs, space permitting. However, you must remain with your guests at all times during the visit.

You may bring additional guests, space permitting, for a $25 fee per guest. To enjoy club privileges, guests must be at least 21 years of age, accompany the member and abide by all WorldClubs rules. A $45 per guest one-time fee applies for guests not accompanied by a WorldClubs member.
From the on-line membership application here:
Date of Birth* (mm/dd/yyyy)

(must be at least 21 years of age)
As far as I know the WC has only permitted under-21 entry for the children of members.

TTU doesn't always get it right. At most, I'm betting it will result in the lounge CSR making a phone call before you are denied entry.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

There are two categories of WC users -- guests and members. This is the more complete statement of age requirements for guests from here:
WorldClubs members are welcome to bring immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two guests with you when you visit WorldClubs, space permitting. However, you must remain with your guests at all times during the visit.

You may bring additional guests, space permitting, for a $25 fee per guest. To enjoy club privileges, guests must be at least 21 years of age, accompany the member and abide by all WorldClubs rules. A $45 per guest one-time fee applies for guests not accompanied by a WorldClubs member.
TTU doesn't always get it right. At most, I'm betting it will result in the lounge CSR making a phone call before you are denied entry.

From the on-line membership application here:
Date of Birth* (mm/dd/yyyy)

(must be at least 21 years of age)
As far as I know the WC has only permitted under-21 entry for the children of members.
OK but those are the requirements for WorldClub members. I am not a WorldClub member therefore I don't have to be 21 to enter. That's why the following quotation is applicable to me. "Persons or members using the lounge must be 21 years old, or accompanied by an adult 21 years old or older."

If one had to 21 or with a parent to enter the lounge, it would say "parent" not "adult".
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewick12
OK but those are the requirements for WorldClub members. I am not a WorldClub member therefore I don't have to be 21 to enter. That's why the following quotation is applicable to me. "Persons or members using the lounge must be 21 years old, or accompanied by an adult 21 years old or older."

If one had to 21 or with a parent to enter the lounge, it would say "parent" not "adult".
I think you're overrationalizing it. Elite+ status on an international itinerary or a WBC ticket also entitle one to admittance, but you'll be turned down if you're under 21.

But try presenting the printed TTU next time & tell us the result.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I think you're overrationalizing it. Elite+ status on an international itinerary or a WBC ticket also entitle one to admittance, but you'll be turned down if you're under 21.

But try presenting the printed TTU next time & tell us the result.
It'd be easier just to fly AA where I know I won't be hassled. Since NWA has the only direct fly from MSY to DTW, I was hoping to be able to use their lounges. Otherwise, I'll just fly AA.

And I thought I read elsewhere on the forum saying Elites under 21 can get in if they're traveling on a WBC ticket...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Amex Plat benefit allows the cardholder <and spouse or children> access, or two guests. Guests per NWA's rules must be 21. Since the OP is neither child nor spouse of the cardholder, one can find reason for denying admittance. If so, that's a pretty tight reading of the Club terms. NWA would be better off saying no under 21s w/o parent.

Wait for your flights in the comfort of a private airport club. Platinum Card members—as well as their spouses and children under the age of 21 or up to two traveling companions—can enjoy complimentary access to participating airport club locations worldwide when traveling with the respective airline that is operating the club.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
And I thought I read elsewhere on the forum saying Elites under 21 can get in if they're traveling on a WBC ticket...
You may have read it here, but that's not the rule.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
It'd be easier just to fly AA where I know I won't be hassled. Since NWA has the only direct fly from MSY to DTW, I was hoping to be able to use their lounges. Otherwise, I'll just fly AA.
That's not a very rational response.

Sure, connecting in ORD or DFW, you'll need that lounge access for your forced downtime that you're imposing on yourself. But if you're doing DTW-MSY, it's a non-stop and you don't need lounge access. Do your homework at home or school and show up to the airport 45 minutes before the flight and keep walking from the car to the plane.

The other guy has it right: just because you have an Amex Plat doesn't mean you're above WorldClub rules. If you really have to get in, have your sister (the one who's allowed in) buy a day pass or a 60-day temp pass for $85 and have her guest you in. Problem solved, then you can start doing that homework.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K
Once you turn 21, you'll be complaining about how AA does not provide free booze but NW does and you'll be back... It is most likely why you can get into the AA club and not the Worldclub. Hope that $500 annual fee is worth it for ya...

Worldclubs have self service booze, and I doubt admittance in your situation would even be allowed under Michigan law.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
This is twice in recent days we've had to listen to such drivel. Sometimes I wish FTers had to be 21 or older to post.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Originally Posted by mnflyer27
" Worldclubs have self service booze, and I doubt admittance in your situation would even be allowed under Michigan law."
BINGO !! Hereabouts, licensed establishments can be inspected & shut-down on-the-spot by a surprising variety of badge-totin' folks: you NEVER know who they are until it's too late.
And getting a MI-LCC reinstatement hearing within 30 days is .. laughable.

Better yet, you get to return to DTW for your MIP hearing
/.

Last edited by CaveatEmpty; Feb 18, 2008 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
This is twice in recent days we've had to listen to such drivel. Sometimes I wish FTers had to be 21 or older to post.
The current poster had (I believe) a legitimate misunderstanding and also a more mature, respectiful approach to the subject. There is a bit of ambiguity in the way the WC regs are worded.

Let's just move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.