FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   NRT-PEK-NRT upgauge to 744 for Olympics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/786939-nrt-pek-nrt-upgauge-744-olympics.html)

kyushuman Feb 4, 2008 7:47 pm

NRT-PEK-NRT upgauge to 744 for Olympics

I booked an award ticket in Rulebuster C class a few months ago for the Olympics in Beijing next August, and was surprised it was on a A332. Well, I just noticed that the plane has switched to a 744 (yay!) for the time period July 28-August 29. After that, it's back to the A332.
Anyone know where the extra 744 is coming from?

FYI on NW awards for the Olympics: They're difficult, but not impossible, to find.
I noticed an open seat, for example, in C returning from PEK-NRT on the 14th, but I didn't see anything in C in early August flying into PEK. Y is available most days, so you should be able to get Y Rulebuster. I realize RuleBuster from the USA to Asia is hugely expensive (120K in Y, 240K in J!). But I'm doing one of the best deals around on NW: SIN-NRT-PEK (7 hours SIN-NRT, then 3 NRT-SIN) in J, for 60K Intra-Asia in Rulebuster! (when it's not the Olympics, it's only 30K in Saver J for Intra-Asia).

standardgirl Feb 4, 2008 7:51 pm

not able to answer your question, but I also have ticket to PEK for the Olympics. :) Instead of DTW-NRT-PEK, I had to book DTW-PDX-NRT-PEK to get the upgrade in business class (Z). Those seats sell out fast, but if you check often enough, there are not impossible. I had to upgrade pretty much one segment at a time though, as they become available. Right now, I have all segments cleared, both ways, except for that NRT-PEK which isn't a big deal anyways.

rasmcasm Feb 4, 2008 8:49 pm

very smart to upguage to the B744. glad they have the whale in the portfolio to use.

blug Feb 4, 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 9191791)
Anyone know where the extra 744 is coming from?

The 744 comes from NRT-PVG.

bk42 Feb 4, 2008 11:23 pm

Aren't there a couple of events in Shanghai or somewhere else? Or is it all in Beijing?

czhang Feb 5, 2008 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bk42 (Post 9192761)
Aren't there a couple of events in Shanghai or somewhere else? Or is it all in Beijing?

Its all Beijing in 2008. Shanghai had the Special Olympics last October (which, BTW, I did the filming for the official webcast). Damn...I live in Beijing and usually fly NW via NRT Y :eek:, I wish they had IFE on the 747's! ;)

jing_canada Feb 5, 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by blug (Post 9192734)
The 744 comes from NRT-PVG.

Moving PVG A/C to PEK does not increase capacity to China. A lot of people plan to tour China. They may enter or exist China in PVG.

PVGMSP Feb 6, 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jing_canada (Post 9196029)
Moving PVG A/C to PEK does not increase capacity to China. A lot of people plan to tour China. They may enter or exist China in PVG.

NW will use 330-300 for NRT-PVG during the Olympics, so it is somewhat an increase in capacity:

Currently: PVG 744 403 seats + PEK 330-200 243 seats
Olympics: PVG 333 298 seats + PEK 744 403 seats
Net increase: 55 seats

I never understand why NW switched to 332 for NRT-PEK a few years ago. The demand was/is certainly there!

BIMMERKID2 Feb 7, 2008 12:26 am

thats why I fly Korean Air ;) hehe :D Korean Air- Excellence in Flight :D

Originally Posted by czhang (Post 9195006)
Its all Beijing in 2008. Shanghai had the Special Olympics last October (which, BTW, I did the filming for the official webcast). Damn...I live in Beijing and usually fly NW via NRT Y :eek:, I wish they had IFE on the 747's! ;)