Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Temporarily Suspends Agreements with Cebu Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ

Northwest Temporarily Suspends WorldPerks, Passenger and Baggage Agreements with Cebu Pacific Airlines

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has advised that the country of the Philippines does not comply with international safety standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Therefore, effective January 26, 2008, Northwest Airlines has temporarily suspended its WorldPerks, passenger and baggage agreements with Cebu Pacific Airlines.

If you have any questions, please contact Northwest Reservations at 1-800-44-PERKS.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:13 pm

Same thing with Garuda Indonesia, but I believe they've been "suspended" for a while now.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Garuda has been suspended

I commute between SYD and DPS as we have a condo in Bali.

Since Ansett hit the dust, we have travelled on Garuda always in Executive Class - get some great deals.

Being a FT I asked the question about a program. At that stage Garuda did have a program but you had to be either Indonesian or an Indonesian resident to belong, they needed a number similar to US Social Security.

I got a very nice customer service agent in SYD Garuda office who mentioned that I could accure points on NW.

So I joined NW and have been accuring miles.

Since the suspension, Garuda has made their program available to Australian residents, so we are still accumulating miles.

I find Garuda to be ok, sometimes the service is a bit erratic, once I noticed that Indonesians were getting better service, eg: breakfast cooked on demand but nothing offered to us, yet we were sitting in row 1.

Overall you get what you pay for, normally i pay $450 AUD as a surcharge to travel in business over the cheapest holiday fare in coach, so I cannot complain.

The J seating is excellent, the IFE old and wonky, but its the space that I value the most.

Adam
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There hasn't been a Worldperks agreement with Cebu Pacific for quite some time now, since they decided to become a full LCC and quit their own frequent flyer plan as well.

If you're buying a NW tix to/from CEB via MNL for instance, I wouldnt book on Cebu Pacific anyway, Philippine Airlines runs the same routes and is much better than Cebu Pacific.

Where did you find this information? I can't find it on the nwa website nor with a google search.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 31, 2008 at 8:33 pm
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/a...ner.shtml#cebu
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
so the next is service discontinue to MNL ???
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Originally Posted by jameskwon
so the next is service discontinue to MNL ???
Only if The Philippines decides that American carriers aren't safe to travel on
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:45 am

I flew Cebu HKG-MNL summer 2006 the day before NWA ended the WP agreement with them.

They were on time, plane was at about 75% capacity, the service was friendly, and it was quite cheap, could not complain at all.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I wonder why they decided to single out 5J (Cebu Pacific) for the discontinuation of pax/baggage agreements?

The agreements with PR seem to still be in place.

Maybe because PR is still certified to fly to the US, while 5J has no routes to the US?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:58 am

The Philippines were downgraded from a Category 1 country to a Category 2. While this does not prevent an airline from the Philippines from continuing any services they have in the US, is does prevent them from adding any or even changing the specific aircraft that are allowed to and from the US. They are also subject to additional FAA inspection.

Although from what I'm reading there's nothing from the FAA that requires NW to discontinue their relationship with Cebu. I would venture a guess that NW doesn't want to be in the position of recommending people fly on an airline that doesn't meat safety standards? Maybe Cebu is the prime issue for the downgrade? PR is an expanding airline, with a whole slew of brand new 777's due to be delivered next year.

The Category 2 rating means that the country lacks laws or regulations necessary to support the certification and oversight of air carriers in accordance with minimum international standards.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
There hasn't been a Worldperks agreement with Cebu Pacific for quite some time now, since they decided to become a full LCC and quit their own frequent flyer plan as well.
I think Northwest still allowed redeeming for award flights until Jan. 26, but discontinued accrual long ago.
Dave
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
I had a great experience with Cebu Pacific back in 2005. Things may have changed since then, but at that time I believe they had the best on-time record in the Phils and most efficient online tools. Planes were clean, and GAs and FAs were great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.