Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Domestic First Class - Worst in the industry???

NW Domestic First Class - Worst in the industry???

Old Apr 6, 04, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Since The beginning of Platinum- NW Million Miler
Originally Posted by 007
And the guy in last row or 1A has a better chance of getting his first meal choice on UA or AA??????
Would love to hear where you get the "90%+" figures from.

Nine times out of ten my co-workers and I dont get a choice - hence, 90%. Why argue.........everyone knows it to be true!!! Stop waving the red flag so much........your arms might start hurting!!
Old Apr 6, 04, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 007
If NWA was to increase Plat qualification to 100 k vs 75k ....increase seat pitch thus reducing number of rows in 1st class......install IFE.......AND stop elite upgrade benefit and adopt AA or UA's method. Would you like it better?
I am not complaining.......just simply making observations. Are you having a hard time dealing with these issues??
Old Apr 6, 04, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by kidvintage
I am not complaining.......just simply making observations. Are you having a hard time dealing with these issues??
No, but I am having a hard time trying to understand why you continue to complain and whine and ...........Like I said before...quit WHINNING and move on

Nine times out of ten my co-workers and I dont get a choice - hence, 90%. Why argue.........everyone knows it to be true!!! Stop waving the red flag so much........your arms might start hurting!!
And you think it's not the same when comes to UA or AA?? I'm sure 90% of the pax who fly other carriers get their first meal choice. Still waiting for reply. Why even complain?
Or am I reading this wrong......are you saying that no matter where you sit in FC, you don't get your first choice of meal 9/10???? If so....I found your statement extremely hard to believe .

Last edited by 007; Apr 6, 04 at 10:48 pm
Old Apr 6, 04, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
[B]
The next time you are upgraded, tell the GA that NW first class sucks, is the worst in the industry and to put you in coach, that would be a statement.

Funny that you mentioned that!! If I get stuck with 4D on a breakfast flight and I am not in the mood for Cheerios, then I cheerfully ask the guy in 11A (A320) if he wants to switch. 11A has much more legroom & a pretty good hot breakfast sandwich!!! Happens a LOT with me!!!
Old Apr 6, 04, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 007
No, but I am having a hard time trying to understand why you continue to complain and whine and ...........Like I said before...quit WHINNING and move on
I guess you ARE having issues with the points I am making!!! It's OK though, sometimes the truth is hard to deal with
Old Apr 6, 04, 11:00 pm

I guess you ARE having issues with the points I am making!!! It's OK though, sometimes the truth is hard to deal with
I know what the Truths are.....and I agree with some of your points and disagree with some part as well. I'll leave it as it is..... ^
Old Apr 6, 04, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 007
And you think it's not the same when comes to UA or AA??

am I reading this wrong......are you saying that no matter where you sit in FC, you don't get your first choice of meal 9/10???? If so....I found your statement extremely hard to believe .
I am not an expert on AA or UA, but I CAN tell you that the three times I have flown FC on each, I have been addressed by name (almost never on NW), had three meal choices, and been given the option of music and/or movie.

You ARE reading it wrong......... not EVERYONE misses out on a meal choice on NW, just the poor guy in 4D!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 04, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
my take

Although this thread is getting really boring, really quick....(is anyone still reading other than the few ping-ponging at each other!), I thought I would post my take before the thread gets locked!!

I don't have nearly as much FC flying experience as many of you, and what I do have has been mostly on NW, and some on CO & DL.

I agree with the "Bird in the Hand" take - that the availability of first class on NW is excellent. I've had great success as a silver.

As far as food, CO continues to be a notch above NW and DL - both in first and in coach. Example - the nice snack plate that CO serves in first class during non-mealtimes.

I would also say - based on my limited experience - that NW has gone ahead of DL in first class meal service.

Recently we flew on first class award tix to Honolulu. Flew LAX-HNL on DL going over....came back via HNL-MSP on NW. There was no comparison. Both were fine trips, but NW was the clear winner.

DL served their first class meal with plastic cutlery and paper napkins. The food was good though.

The biggest difference was in the seat. The seats on the DL 764 were no comparison to the seats on the NW DC-10. Coming home I was actually able to get into a comfortable sleeping position!

Well that's all I can tell ya! I will probably be flying first class much less on CO & DL. I concentrate my miles on WorldPerks, and DL does not offer the upgrades (yet) to WorldPerks elite....while CO is giving the stupid 50% qualification miles, so I am spending more time on NW metal!
Old Apr 25, 04, 9:29 am

Thumbs down Lets Not Forget The General Sentement Of Nw F Class.

This subject is now more important than ever.

NW F class in not (in my opinion) in the same ball park regarding F class seating as CO.

My flight next week from IND to LAS will be on CO metal due to the superior F class amenities (again in my opinion) than that of NW for flights in the states.
The only reason I opted for F class was because any other fare tickets on NW had me leaving LAS at 1:30 in the morning…..For an additional $200.00 I was able to book a discounted F class on CO and get in at a decent time.

Bottom line (again in my opinion) is that if PAX are apt to go for a discounted F class ticket they will choose CO metal for all the reason listed in these particular posts.

So far this year with the cutting edge travel inducements that NW is offering; Platinum Points, Platinum companion upgrades and the new stricter 1-2-3 free tix, this new R designation make them all look like great deals. (May be not the Platinum companion upgrades since Platinum Elites are even having a hard time getting one upgrade for themselves.

To be honest, I never did quite appreciate the Platinum companion upgrade because I felt it was not fair to Silver and Gold Elites.)
Old Apr 25, 04, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Platinum Companion Benefit (benefit/recognition for flying the most)

I think the Plat Elite Companion benefit is a great way of NWA saying "Thank You!" to the pax that fly them the most.

I have traveled an average of 2-3 times/year with my wife and I always give her my FC seat and sit in the main cabin, because last year Plat Elite's companions (that were not elite) did not get upgraded.

I really appreciate this benefit.

TC
Old Apr 26, 04, 6:39 am

Question

Hi there, you obviously have much more experience with NW than I do. With that being said, do you think that the Plat Elite companion upgrades is really a benefit now with the advent of R class designation?

I also fly 3 or more times a year with my wife and family. On numerous occasions last year I was able to upgrade @ the gate with a companion and would let my wife and son sit in the F class seats. (I have now created a monster since my 11 year old now always asks if we are going to sit in F however.)

At the beginning of the year I was very excited about the Plat companion upgrade even though there was a twing of guilt for the seats that were going to be taken from Gold & Silvers.

Now with the R class I feel it has the same benefit of our state lottery. Yes, theoretically you can win but lets be real what are the real chances?
Old Apr 26, 04, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I think the Plat Elite Companion benefit is a great way of NWA saying "Thank You!" to the pax that fly them the most.

I have traveled an average of 2-3 times/year with my wife and I always give her my FC seat and sit in the main cabin, because last year Plat Elite's companions (that were not elite) did not get upgraded.

TC
Indeed the upgrades are a nice perk, lets us forget that this is all they are. I think perhaps we come to assume and expect the upgrades, perhaps given some of the fares and the amount of $$$ we have spent over the years. However, they are not guarenteed and I have missed out annualy from being at 100% and accept the couple of times a year when missing an upgrade, or, changing a reservation at the last minute and gaining a seat on a full flight only to be put in back. I take it as my chance to re-qualify and stay current at being exit row qualified and main cabing qaulified. On the other hand, after over probqlly a thousand flights of being upgraded, the novelity has warn off.

For those who dont think NW 1st class domestic service stacks up to the others, great, that the fantastic things about our society, you can express that. Likewise, if you dont like the service, please with all due respect, fly on another carrier that is better than NW so that the rest of us have a better chance at an upgrade. I treat the NW service as you get what you pay for and am satisfied with it. I'll gladly take the NW service for what it is as it is what I expect and am used to in exchange for NW protecting all of the miles I have in bank vs. the alternate better service on other carriers and my miles that might be in jeopordy with those carriers.

BTW - If you want to really experience service that puts the U.S. domestics all to shame, get on any European flight within Europe weather in BC or not. Want an real experience, then do an SQ flight in Raffles or 1st.

Best wishes and upgrades to all, and to those who dont - Hooverer
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Radiocycle

TC
Good luck "using" this benefit!! With NW restricting EVERYONES ability to get free upgrades, I really doubt you can utilize & "appreciate this benefit".....
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:13 pm

Good luck "using" this benefit!! With NW restricting EVERYONES ability to get free upgrades, I really doubt you can utilize & "appreciate this benefit".....
kid,

have you seen, or do you know of, any NW flights going out with empty seats in F and elite passengers in the back?

if not, how is NW restricting the ability to get free upgrades? don't you mean "restricting the ability to know 5 days out that I'm going to be upgraded?"
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeelLaw
kid,

have you seen, or do you know of, any NW flights going out with empty seats in F and elite passengers in the back?

if not, how is NW restricting the ability to get free upgrades? don't you mean "restricting the ability to know 5 days out that I'm going to be upgraded?"
I feel your comprehension of this subject is questionable, so let me help you out a little:

The issue is NOT whether NW is REFUSING upgrades (with available seats) at the gate to deserving Elites. The issue is that NW is SEVERELY LIMITING the ability of Elites to get the upgrade space because of this new "R" class. "F9" gave a much better upgrade chance than "R4". This cannot be disputed.

A lot can happen in the five days leading up to departure: FC seats disappear through dishonest travel agents, CSAs give "favors", employees book last minute, etc...etc...etc...

All I know is that I have recently begun, since this whole "R" deal began, sitting in the back with $500-$700 tickets. This is unacceptable. If nobody speaks up about this, NW will get even MORE aggressive with their anti-upgrade policies. The line must be drawn......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: