Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Domestic First Class - Worst in the industry???

NW Domestic First Class - Worst in the industry???

Old Apr 1, 04, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Since The beginning of Platinum- NW Million Miler
Wow. I NEVER get a choice of meal when sitting in 4D on an Airbus.

I LOVE NW for the same reason that everyone else on this board does: FREE UPGRADES!!!! But come on guys, if you want to increase your yield and sell more full-fare tickets, take care of the First Class cabin.

Apparently Radioman doesn't think the passenger in seat 4D deserves the same options as the other 15. Unbelievable!!!!
Old Apr 2, 04, 3:43 am

Hmm, I just flew on an Airbus in 4C during a breakfast flight. While we were still at the gate the FA went through the FC cabin asking for our choice of entrees. She started with the last row and worked her way forward. So, obviously, I got my choice of meals. Don't know about the poor guys up in row 1.

BTW, I don't remember EVER not getting my choice of meals in FC on a NW flight - no matter where I was seated.
Old Apr 2, 04, 5:13 pm

Programs: NW Gold, HH Gold, Virgin Red
NW's first class isn't necessarily luxe, but I've found it reliable and I agree with the previous posts that note the upgrade success to their first class is better than the prospect of sitting in CO or DL coach for me. My experience has been that NW's ground and air services have been quite good. I've had better experiences with CO, but when CO is bad, they're really bad.

Recent thoughts:

IFE -- I don't mind -- a good book, Ipod & noise cancelling headphones beat the Wings rerun I ran into on my last CO trip.

Food -- Rarely exceptional, generally CO's FC meals have been better. However, NW's array of chocolate deserts are definitely tasty! As for availability in the last rows, after dodging that for 3 years, it's hit me twice this year. I was generous to my seatmate once and stubborn once.

Seat -- leather or cloth, I don't really care since both are preferable to coach

Drink -- I'd prefer to think it's not the Kool-Aid but the James Page...

Last edited by jbh11; Apr 2, 04 at 5:16 pm
Old Apr 2, 04, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=RobertH]Hmm, I just flew on an Airbus in 4C during a breakfast flight. While we were still at the gate the FA went through the FC cabin asking for our choice of entrees. She started with the last row and worked her way forward. So, obviously, I got my choice of meals. Don't know about the poor guys up in row 1. QUOTE]

I know about the guy in row one - HE DIDNT GET A CHOICE!!!
Old Apr 2, 04, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
As has been posted many times in this thread already everyone seems to have a some sort of different critera of what they think is important in making a decision on what is the best/worst.

Do we need to hear over and over that having a choice on meals is the criteria that you base your decision on.

Personally I find that someone who makes their decision on a matter that I consider to only being a diversion on a flight on whether that is the best/worst service available to be somewhat shallow.

Still waiting to hear what you wear on your flights.
Old Apr 2, 04, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=magic111]
Personally I find that someone who makes their decision on a matter that I consider to only being a diversion on a flight on whether that is the best/worst service available to be somewhat shallow.]

I guess that meals are a diversion. IFE is a diversion. Everything is a diversion, huh??

EVERY SINGLE flight on every single airline is a long metal tube with people herded aboard. Service and amenities are what separates one airline from another.

By introducing this thread, I was simply questioning why NW is THE ONLY "major" airline (SW doesnt count) that does not have IFE. I was also questioning why NW is the only major airline that does not offer their entire FC cabin a meal choice.

Clearly IFE and meals are important to flyers, as evidenced by the countless posts on this board by people RAVING about the new WBC product!!!

Obviously, NW is by far the most generous airline for issuing upgrades. THATS WHY WE LOVE THEM!!! But that was not the question posed in this thread. In-flight service was the question presented. And while the new international WBC is outstanding, the domestic product is in very sad shape.
Old Apr 2, 04, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magic111
Welcome to FlyerTalk kidvintage

Okay I just have one question. What do you wear on a plane that you would even believe that the cloth is 'scratchy?' I have visions of short shorts and a tank top but there just may be clothing out there that is thin enough (i do not wear it) where scratchiness of cloth can be percieved.

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited Mar 25, 2004).]

Thankfully, your "visions" are just a figment of your imagination. I am referring to the back of my neck and my forearms when I wear short-sleeved shirts. Does the word "piling" mean anything to you??
Old Apr 3, 04, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by kidvintage
Thankfully, your "visions" are just a figment of your imagination. I am referring to the back of my neck and my forearms when I wear short-sleeved shirts. Does the word "piling" mean anything to you??
I think I have "figments" every day - but other people may call them fantasies
Old Apr 3, 04, 8:58 am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Not to negate your questions of why some of the services couldn't be better kidvintage I would like to point out that at WebFlyer (one of the other sites owned by Randy P.) of the major airlines NW's WP is rated in a tie for first with AA's Aavantage. Of course as always for those who count SouthWest as a major then NW and AA are rated in 2nd place.

Now I am not sure if they measure things like IFE in the ratings but WN doesn't have any either.
But one of the first things they do rate is Earning Ability and funny thing about FT is that it seems to be one of the primary reasons that participants are here. Point of fact the majority of participants even in this thread stated that seats, IFE or meal choice was not a reason for choice of a program or at least in my case even a reason for rating a program. I admit that I went to WebFlyer and used it to choose my FFP.

I am not sure why you are not aware of FEBO on AA ,the other program rated equal to NW by WebFlyer Because if you sit BEFO you are not likely to get a meal choice either.

Now given the limitations of the program and our limited ability to get what we want without inevitably having to pay more it becomes important that you read the suggestions of those who have posted before you on how it is possible to get those things you require.

My suggestions at little or no cost is to wear long sleeve and high collar shirts so as not to feel the scratchiness, choose a seat in the middle of first so as to get a choice of meals and bring your own IFE. True this will not be a solution for everyone as you have so graciously pointed out again and again but sometimes you have to do what is best for you.

And remember if you really only want to compare an airlines FFP on its service than you should visit skytraxx (sp)

Oh yeah they for sure do not rate NW as high as Randy rates WP @:-)

edited to add that I can not believe that I still made an error even with proview

Last edited by magic111; Apr 3, 04 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 3, 04, 10:10 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
I do not think they have the worst FC seats but they probbaly are close to the bottom on FC income. Just about anyone (with friends who travel or a brain) is able to get a FC seat these days. Being a Plat I have upgraded friends twice the past two months on $180 MSP-LAX tickets.

I get upgraded on very flight - no matter the ticket code. Not many other airlines do that.

Except for people in nyc or dca, I do not know anywho ever purchases a FC ticket.

We get what we pay for.
Old Apr 3, 04, 10:56 am

Point of fact the majority of participants even in this thread stated that seats, IFE or meal choice was not a reason for choice of a program or at least in my case even a reason for rating a program.
The frequent flyer program is well separate from flying the airline. You don't have to use WorldPerks to fly NW. You don't have to fly NW if you use WorldPerks.

So comparing the rankings of WorldPerks with the service at Northwest Airlines isn't very accurate. Natrually, many NW fliers do use WorldPerks, but participation in WorldPerks (or any FFP for that matter) is not neccessary.

And if this forum is going to restrict topics soley to WorldPerks, then perhaps we stop all the threads about things like seat assignments, check-in, new routes, etc, etc.
Old Apr 3, 04, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam

Question huh

Originally Posted by keithguy
The frequent flyer program is well separate from flying the airline. You don't have to use WorldPerks to fly NW. You don't have to fly NW if you use WorldPerks.

So comparing the rankings of WorldPerks with the service at Northwest Airlines isn't very accurate. Natrually, many NW fliers do use WorldPerks, but participation in WorldPerks (or any FFP for that matter) is not neccessary.

And if this forum is going to restrict topics soley to WorldPerks, then perhaps we stop all the threads about things like seat assignments, check-in, new routes, etc, etc.
Huh

Sure airlines and FFP go hand in hand but everyone I know rates them independently. Waiting for you to point me to a reputable site that makes the overall comparison. And when has it ever been the day that this forum has restricted topics on NW.

Perhaps we should only talk about the restaurants that plan for spoilage. I get a sense that you have never owned a restuarant. Nothing in a restaurant is planned for spoilage. Everything is used even the onion skins go in the stock pot. Eighty-six is the name of the restaurant game.

Comments like the above made by you previously in this thread are the reason that those who don't know what they are talking about should not give opinions.
Old Apr 3, 04, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Arguing about "best domestic first class" has gotten awfully similar to arguments about "least bankrupt Spanish motorcycle company" in recent times. The differences just ain't all that much.

In my mind, the value of domestic F is something like:

Quality * obtainability * cost = value

NW is very high on the list in my book because I almost always ride up front

CO is nicer quality and I almost always ride up front, but now have to deal with EQM, so the cost is higher.

AA would outrank both airlnes if I could maintain 100,000 flown miles (not something I always do by any means -- the last couple of years have been strongly atypical for me)

If I were a mere WP Gold, the value of CO would fall (since that becomes tougher to get upgrades by far), and as a mid-tier AA elite, if you are flying domestic, it would cost a lot of of pocket for the upgrade stickers.

Steve
Old Apr 3, 04, 5:19 pm

Sure airlines and FFP go hand in hand but everyone I know rates them independently. Waiting for you to point me to a reputable site that makes the overall comparison. And when has it ever been the day that this forum has restricted topics on NW.
Exactly. So why would you mention WorldPerks when the thread is about NW First Class service.

Original poster is saying NW F service is poor. You are saying WorldPerks is good. So what? What does that have to do with anything?

Perhaps we should only talk about the restaurants that plan for spoilage. I get a sense that you have never owned a restuarant. Nothing in a restaurant is planned for spoilage. Everything is used even the onion skins go in the stock pot. Eighty-six is the name of the restaurant game.

Comments like the above made by you previously in this thread are the reason that those who don't know what they are talking about should not give opinions.
It's true. I have never owned a restaurant. I get the sense that you have never owned an airline either. I do, however, know that many restaurants do plan for spoilage/waste in the sense that it is accounted for. Cooks mess up. Things fall on the floor. It's accounted for.
Old Apr 3, 04, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Exclamation

@:-) Please......

Let's stay (get back) on topic!

Radiocycle
Northwest Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: