Carry-on baggage question

Old Jan 29, 08, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Matmid, BMI Diamond
Carry-on baggage question

Hi,

First time flying with NWA in 10 days or so (BUF-DTW-BWI). I checked out the limits for carry-on baggage items, and compared to the other airlines I fly, this is definitely on the restrictive side. My roller is just the right width (14") with the handle adding another inch beyond the official limit. Other dimensions should be fine and it's not expected to be heavy at all.

Not sure this makes a difference - I'm Skyteam Elite so eligible for preboarding and will probably check in online. Flights are on DC9-50 and A319.

Should I expect issues at the gate? Or are they not picky?
Old Jan 29, 08, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
As long as it's reasonable I'm sure you'll be just fine.. I'm a SkyTeam elite as well and fly NW for about 50% of my trips and have a little bit larger than normal roll-aboard. I've never had a problem.
Old Jan 29, 08, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by All That Jazz View Post
Should I expect issues at the gate? Or are they not picky?
You will have no problems. I fly with a 21" or so carry-on, and have never had a second glance at it. NW FA's aren't like some of the UA FA's I've run into.
Old Jan 30, 08, 1:49 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Mine is 21" x 15" x 9" and never even gotten a second glance. If you were on NW3782 (CRJ), you would have to expect to plane side check it, but get it back in DTW.

EDIT: It might not fit lengthwise (wheels out) on the AB side of the 9-50, if you're on that side, you might have to turn it sideways or put it across the aisle.

Last edited by ed1; Jan 30, 08 at 1:59 am
Old Jan 30, 08, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ed1 View Post
EDIT: It might not fit lengthwise (wheels out) on the AB side of the 9-50, if you're on that side, you might have to turn it sideways or put it across the aisle.
Thanks for the tip. I actually have 6A reserved on the DC9er, but then again, isn't this exactly the type of situation preboarding is for?

Thanks for the info boys!
Old Jan 30, 08, 3:22 am
ed1

Thanks for the tip. I actually have 6A reserved on the DC9er, but then again, isn't this exactly the type of situation preboarding is for?

Thanks for the info boys!
Absolutely, and even more so for my usual 5 A/F seats (when I don't get the UG), since there's no under the seat in front of you on some of those bulkhead seats. Also, the elite boarding lane (when used) is important when running late because of late/short connections, at least you beat out the long line to the scanner.
Old Jan 30, 08, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Also, the elite boarding lane (when used) is important when running late because of late/short connections, at least you beat out the long line to the scanner.
So they have a separate lane for priority boarding at each gate? Hmm...

And speaking of priority boarding, here's another hurdle: my lazy mediterranean airline has failed to send me my card. So will my status (it's Elite, not Elite+) show on my boarding passes? Or will I need to convince them to look me on their computer? It's confirmed on my reservation...

(I've tried to get an answer on whether status is indicated on boarding passes from NWA.com's email question service and failed miserably. They insist on answering the questions they were taught to answer rather than the ones I asked, and it's quite frustrating... Then again, AZ don't answer, period. So I'm not sure which one is worse)
Old Jan 30, 08, 9:00 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Not sure what will print on your boarding pass.

Will AZ let you print a temporary card online?
Old Jan 30, 08, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Not sure what will print on your boarding pass.

Will AZ let you print a temporary card online?
Nope. I just called them to ask and the answer was: *insert Italian accent here* "No, sir. You have to wait." They didn't even seem to think there was a problem with that. Why do I have an account with them? Oh, right, because you can qualify for ST Elite at 20K miles...

At any rate, my reservation (and consequently my e-ticket) shows my AZ account number and it says "SkyTeam Elite" right next to it. I'll just show them that and, hopefully, the boarding pass will indicate the same.
Old Jan 30, 08, 4:35 pm
ed1

So they have a separate lane for priority boarding at each gate? Hmm...

And speaking of priority boarding, here's another hurdle: my lazy mediterranean airline has failed to send me my card. So will my status (it's Elite, not Elite+) show on my boarding passes? Or will I need to convince them to look me on their computer? It's confirmed on my reservation...

(I've tried to get an answer on whether status is indicated on boarding passes from NWA.com's email question service and failed miserably. They insist on answering the questions they were taught to answer rather than the ones I asked, and it's quite frustrating... Then again, AZ don't answer, period. So I'm not sure which one is worse)
Both my NW and DL BPs all say SkyTeam elite (had to call DL to get WP# added before this showed up on my DL itin.).

EDIT: That is if your FF# is on your NW PNR then your SkyTeam elite status should be on your NW issued BPs. If it's not make sure they have both your FF# and your status on the PNR and have them reprint your BPs.

Last edited by ed1; Jan 30, 08 at 4:44 pm
Old Jan 30, 08, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Both my NW and DL BPs all say SkyTeam elite (had to call DL to get WP# added before this showed up on my DL itin.).

EDIT: That is if your FF# is on your NW PNR then your SkyTeam elite status should be on your NW issued BPs. If it's not make sure they have both your FF# and your status on the PNR and have them reprint your BPs.
Well, as mentioned, my itinerary shows SkyTeam Elite (on their online reservation management tool). Hopefully my BPs will, too, and if not, I'll just show them my itinerary and they'll have to live with it.

Wanna hear something funny though? One time I called the NW call centre to sort something out about my ST Elite status. The agent and her supervisor were completely lost, and asked me to spell both "Alitalia" and "Millemiglia" to them, saying that "nobody here has ever heard of that airline before"...

Live & Learn!
Old Jan 31, 08, 11:40 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Well, as mentioned, my itinerary shows SkyTeam Elite (on their online reservation management tool). Hopefully my BPs will, too, and if not, I'll just show them my itinerary and they'll have to live with it.

Wanna hear something funny though? One time I called the NW call centre to sort something out about my ST Elite status. The agent and her supervisor were completely lost, and asked me to spell both "Alitalia" and "Millemiglia" to them, saying that "nobody here has ever heard of that airline before"...

Live & Learn!
If it says it on your itinerary, then it will say it on your BP.
Old Jan 31, 08, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Back to your original question, and I'm expecting to get blasted for this, but I'll post it anyway . . .

When I have either a close connection or a potential opportunity to get bumped, I ALWAYS carry on my bag even when it frequently is my 24 inch bag and I've NEVER (at least in recent memory) been told to check it. If you board early - with the FC/Elite boarding, if your bag is just slightly oversize, you'll have absolutely NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you people are going to chew me out as I'm the guy you hate with large bags in the overheads!! You're probably going to tell me that as a FT member, I should know better. That's ok; I can take it!! I do what I need to do - I'm sure I'm not the only here who does!!

Search this Thread