Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW 1st SO Much better than DL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:58 pm

I flew DL ORF-ATL-SFO RT in F. I was left with mixed feelings regarding the differences from NW and DL. On the ORF-ATL flight I enjoyed the fact that DL had unique drinks (i.e. the Mile High Mojito or whatever they called it), but I thought their snack basket left something to be desired relative to NW. (in fact, I am not sure their short hall snack basket is any different than what they serve in Y). My ATL-SFO flight, though, was pretty nice in that although it left after normal meal hours (around 9 pm, I believe), their snack service consisted of an actual sandwhich, salad, and brownie. Had I been on NW all they would have offered was the expanded snack basket.

(Coming back I was so sick that I was basically passed out the whole way)
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by hnewman
I flew at 6:15AM ABQ-ATL on DL and got a last minute surprise upgrade because I was NW Plat. (SkyTeam Elite Plus). This is a scheduled 2H 35M flight. DL 1st served nothing for breakfast. NW always serves something. The DL seat was far less confortable with less leg room than NW.

I love my NW.
Let me get this straight.

It's CO/NW policy not to upgrade DL passengers, and vice versa.

The gate agent was nice enough to honor your ST Elite Plus status and give you an upgrade.

And you're COMPLAINING? I'm sure you would have been much happier back in coach.

Delta serves meals in flights longer than 1500 miles. On all flights, first class passengers get a reasonably extensive snack basket and, of course, all the bloody marys you can drink.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:12 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
I did BWI-MEM over the summer, which is 2.5 hours leaving at 5PM and it didn't have a meal or snack basket. The snack basket was a catering issue...never got loaded. But 2.5 hours leaving exactly at dinner time seems like enough for a meal to me.

I agree with the OP, however that DL first just doesn't look as nice, especially comparing MDs to DCs. Don't forget that NW still has 16 F on all mainline...DL has 14 on MD80s and 12 on MD90s (basically the same capacity as a 738). Although according to seat guru, DL F has better ..... on MDs than NW has on both DCs and A320s (37 v. 34-36).
That BWI-MEM just missed having a meal, by the following guidelines:

Flights longer than 2 ˝ hours
Scheduled flight departure time in relationship to the following time windows:

Breakfast: 5:00am – 9:45am
Lunch: 9:46am – 1:30pm
Snack: 1:31pm – 3:59pm
Dinner: 4:00pm – 7:30pm
I'll skip the extra pitch on DL's M80s, M90s and 738s in F (NW's are at least 34"), and settle for higher % of F seats on NW which range from 10.7% on the 753 to 16.0% on the 9-30, especially as a SE (DL's 738 is 10.7%, M80 is 9.9% and M90 is 8.0%).
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:01 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

The gate agent was nice enough to honor your ST Elite Plus status and give you an upgrade.

And you're COMPLAINING? I'm sure you would have been much happier back in coach.

Delta serves meals in flights longer than 1500 miles. On all flights, first class passengers get a reasonably extensive snack basket and, of course, all the bloody marys you can drink.
That was just an OP UP, given to a ST E+, rather than a DL non-elite.

Both DL and NW have their advantages and disadvantages in F (and Y, for that matter). I've only flown in F on DL on one ATL-TPA (part of the reward for taking a VDB) in a 763. Aircraft was newer than most of the NW aircraft I've flown and it had a nicer interior. I also liked the bottle of water and headset in the seat pocket (nice touch, even though I didn't use either) and the preflight drink in a glass. That said, especially as a SE, the % of F seats is more important to me, and I have a decent UG % on NW. Service in F has been great on both. Snack basket on NW (even on very short flights) was much better than the nuts/pretzels on my DL flight (no extensive snack basket on this flight).
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by humanoid94
(in fact, I am not sure their short hall snack basket is any different than what they serve in Y).
There is a huge difference--in F you can take as much as you want, in Y, you get one item. The F basket also contains additional items--it used to be an identical selection until a few months ago, when DL started BOB meals in Y. At that time, Y snack basket choices were dropped from 5 to 3 (including the Sun Chips).

With regard to the OPs post, I was NW Elite for four years, and have been DL Medallion for about two years. I really don't see that big a difference overall between the average F service and comfort on the two airlines.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
This isn't what I wanted to hear.

I just purchased an F ticket on DL to fly SEA-SLC-LAS-SLC-SEA in a few weekends. I usally fly on AS SEA-LAS-SEA but I decided I'd get like an extra 1k miles doing the SLC connection on DL.

I'm on 3- different 757 flights and one is an MD90. I have looked at SeatGuru and it seems much less helpful than the NW SeatGuru pages. I'm 6'6" and if it helps I usually pick 1 A/B on a NW 753, 2 C/D on a NW 752, and 1 ABCD on anything else domestic because I like the legroom with no seat reclining on my long legs. I'm thinking I'm still better off in row one on DL, any tips?

I'm interested in seeing the difference on DL. I'm solely usually an NW/AS guy. So I'm anxious to check it out. PM me if you have any tips.

If any of you fly DL
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:59 am
ed1

Originally Posted by jacksafar
I just purchased an F ticket on DL to fly SEA-SLC-LAS-SLC-SEA in a few weekends. I usally fly on AS SEA-LAS-SEA but I decided I'd get like an extra 1k miles doing the SLC connection on DL.

I'm on 3- different 757 flights and one is an MD90. I have looked at SeatGuru and it seems much less helpful than the NW SeatGuru pages. I'm 6'6" and if it helps I usually pick 1 A/B on a NW 753, 2 C/D on a NW 752, and 1 ABCD on anything else domestic because I like the legroom with no seat reclining on my long legs. I'm thinking I'm still better off in row one on DL, any tips?

I'm interested in seeing the difference on DL. I'm solely usually an NW/AS guy. So I'm anxious to check it out. PM me if you have any tips.

If any of you fly DL
All of the DL 757s have at least the same pitch in F (usually about an inch more) as NW's 753s, 755s, and 756s and the M90 has the same pitch as the NW 753/755/756s. The limited leg room bulkhead seat warnings are also found on the NW 753 1C/D seats and 755/756 1 A/B seats, the 320 1 A/B/C/D seats have the same warning and have 1" less pitch than the M90, 9-40/50 1 A/B/C/D and the 9-30 B/C seats have the same warning and have at least 1" less pitch than the M90. NW's 9-30 1 A/B and 319 1 A/B/C/D show as having a cutout for the bulkhead seats. Basically I think the warnings are there when there's no cutout and no seat in front with that extra space. I'm only 5'7'' and almost always change to 1A when UGed via EUA.

Perhaps some of the taller FTers with F seating experiences on DL can be a little more specific, but on paper the bulkhead DL seats in F look about the same or better than on NW.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by me4yankees
IFE or no IFE is a matter of personal preference. However, I see an airline offering of some sort of way to pass the time as a positive. I usually read and I do not haul many portable electronic devices with me (except a Blackberry, phone, sometimes a laptop), so I like the option of watching or listening to something without necessarily having to bring it all with me.

By short flight, I meant a mainline flight of approximately 700 miles (one hour 45 mins. to two hours), for example ATL to the NYC area.
Just to clarify my 508 mile ATL-CHS is a short flight...and again IFE isn't a GPS readout on the LCD screens in my opinion, if they wanted to provide a quality IFE product they could have made an annoucement similar to CO's
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jacksafar

If any of you fly DL
I appreciate your concerns, I am 6'4" and find coach unbearably uncomfortable! As to your specific questions, I travel on both NW and DL holding platinum status on both for the past 5 years. IMHO, some NW FC bulkhead seats can be quite comfortable for a tall person as you have found, but be careful with the seatguru comments. Sometimes that "cutout" can be deep enough for a carryon, other times (the 319 I think) it is just a inch or two deep.

I would NEVER recommend a DL FC bulkhead seat on any of their aircraft unless it is a Business Elite plane (767 - 777). The only upside is no -one to lay their seat into you, but legroom is restricted at the bulkhead. Personally, (here come the flames) I prefer DL to NW, especially after both have come out of bankruptcy.

DL First Class Domestic:
+Leather seats, with a good amount of padding
+Decent pitch (same for NW)
+In flight entertainment, some with in seat video and tv (rolling out through the fleet slowly)
+Specialty drinks
+Crew attitude and service is just better. Maybe it's becuase I have 2 million miler status, but I see an attitude from the crew and the GA's that makes me feel appreciated. They actually smile!
+Flight information at the gate works and is very informative
-Battlefield upgrades (DL is selling more FC and upgrades are getting quite competitive)
-Meal policy in FC of only greater than 1450 miles
+if you have fly coach you will atleast get a snack and audio / video entertainment
+8 oz bottles of water in FC and coach

NW First Class Domestic
+As a PM almost always upgraded (greater percentage of FC seats)
+If not upgraded, 1000 point bonus
-cloth seats, and very unsupportive, especially in the DC 9 series
-no entertainment domestically, period.
-grouchy, unfriendly, and generally over worked flight and gate attendents
-flight information at the airport is always suspect
-If you fly coach (yuck) you a beverage and thats it.

Yes, I do beleive the DL product to be better than NW, and not by a small amount. DL came out of bankruptcy with a "can do" attitude and it shows. From the front counter, to the gate agents, to the flight attendants and the front cabin crew, they smile, interact with customers, and actually thank them for flying "their" airline. I just haven't seen the same from the entire team at NW. Got back from AMS on sunday, flying NW in WBC, and while the seat was wonderful, I was totally underwhelmed by the service.

Frankly, if NW does not address it's workforce problems it will not make it in this new world of air service - but I digress from the OP. Try DL, you might like it.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I would NEVER recommend a DL FC bulkhead seat on any of their aircraft unless it is a Business Elite plane (767 - 777). The only upside is no -one to lay their seat into you, but legroom is restricted at the bulkhead.
I would add that the bulkheads on the non-IFE 757s (those with only 6 rows of F) and the domestic 763s aren't THAT bad.

On the former-Song 757s (with 7 rows of F), stay far away from the bulkhead. Ditto with the M88 and M90.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I've flown BWI-MEM in a CRJ on NW, so y'all count your blessings.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That's really odd. The 738p departure DTW-SEA serves a full meal and it's scheduled for 4hr50mins.

I don't believe it's a catering issue as asianrick pointed out because they don't even load a snack basket on the DTW-SEA flight because it's catered for dinner. So I think the only way a snack basket showed up is because dinner isn't supposed to be served?

BTW...doing a first class search on nwa.com shows the following:
DTW-PHX (738p) has "Meal: Food For Purchase" (it's a website bug)
DTW-SEA (738p) has "Meal: Dinner"

Doesn't explain why DTW-west coast (LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX) evening flights get a meal but they don't to PHX.

-RM
This isn't surprising to me. NW 1189 (DTW-LAS, 7:37pm departure) does not serve dinner either. It's silly, especially with many people having connected from ~5pm departures from the east coast, but that's the situation.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I've flown BWI-MEM in a CRJ on NW, so y'all count your blessings.
there is worse...I've done ORF<->IAH on a ERJ....nasty nasty nasty flight, I'd like to see Larry take that flight (but in his defense he admits the seats are bad and he's working on replacing them)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I know this is a little OT (okay, more than a little! ), but I find Coach on DL to be far superior to NW. Can you say, "free snacks"? I know it's not a huge deal, but that, and the general appearance of the a/c interiors, along with some form of IFE on most flights makes DL a nicer ride in Coach.

I say this as someone who used to fly NW almost exclusively, but am now flying DL more, so I've noticed some things. Not trying to start anything!!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am not complaining at all

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

I was drawing a comparison between the two airlines. I am very greatful that DL upgraded me. VERY. No complaints. But I was comparing the two experiences given the potential merger.

Last edited by hnewman; Jan 31, 2008 at 10:13 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.