How on earth did I get Silver?

Old Jan 26, 08, 10:03 am
Original Poster

How on earth did I get Silver?

So, I got an email saying that I achieved SE status for 08-09. I logged on, and sure enough, there it is.

But I didn't even come close to qualifying. I flew 10 paid segments. I would say that 6 of those (maybe more) were paid full P fares. I opened a WorldPerks Visa Signature card a couple of months ago, and I have a WP check card too.

How did I get Silver? I want to call, but I don't want them to take it away from me either.
Old Jan 26, 08, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mspman View Post
I flew 10 paid segments. I would say that 6 of those (maybe more) were paid full P fares.
There is your answer, NW identified you as potentially high yield and they are hoping that by comping you to elite status, you will continue to send that high yield traffic to them.
Old Jan 26, 08, 11:22 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I would say that 6 of those (maybe more) were paid full P fares.
That's what did it. $$$ talks. Remember too that first class brings in 50% more EQMs, so you could've also crossed the 25,000 EQM threshold.
Old Jan 27, 08, 6:30 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
So, I got an email saying that I achieved SE status for 08-09. I logged on, and sure enough, there it is.

But I didn't even come close to qualifying. I flew 10 paid segments. I would say that 6 of those (maybe more) were paid full P fares. I opened a WorldPerks Visa Signature card a couple of months ago, and I have a WP check card too.

How did I get Silver? I want to call, but I don't want them to take it away from me either.
That's my guess. Wow. You probably paid more for Silver then some of us pay for Plat. With change left over. Ouch!

Steve B.
Old Jan 27, 08, 9:23 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Gold
Definitely revenue potential or maybe EQMS. NW seems proactive at identifying potentially high volume/high revenue customers and giving them a reason to at least try NW. I like the concept; low risk/high reward for NW and no immediate impact on current Golds and Plats (unless the target becomes Gold or Plat).

I was given Silver when my division relocated to Michigan; I was a UA 1K at the time. It gave me incentive to try NW and I liked it. I then comped to Gold and am now a Plat. So that was a good move for NW and, honestly, was the main reason I tried them and ultimately switched to NW.
Old Jan 27, 08, 9:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Gold; Skymiles Silver;IHG Platinum; Hilton ; Marriott Gold
I had two friends comped Silver this year. One with just over 20K miles and the other was around 24K. I found it interesting as well.
Old Jan 27, 08, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta
A co-worker of mine was also comp'ed to WP Silver, and his case was even more extreme. He usually flies only 1-2 times per year, and has never had Elite status before. He wasn't even close to qualifying on EQM's or segments - a single round trip (DTW - AMS - GOT and back) at the beginning of November. It was in WBC (a fairly expensive C fare), but even with the EQM bonuses he was still around 13K EQM's.
Old Jan 27, 08, 7:42 pm

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
I was upgraded to gold last year, I was already silver and had 30+ segments. Of course I only got 46 segments last year, so I'll see if they let me keep it or not.
Old Jan 27, 08, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I had a boss of mine get a free upgrade to Silver. Apparently they saw him constantly flying H or higher fares and decided his money was good enough. Money does buy you love (from corporations).
Old Jan 28, 08, 11:03 am

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
Originally Posted by Shoveldr View Post
I was upgraded to gold last year, I was already silver and had 30+ segments. Of course I only got 46 segments last year, so I'll see if they let me keep it or not.
I just checked and I was 5 segments and 3000 miles short, so I'm back down to silver.

Search this Thread