Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

What are my chances for a silver elite comp?

Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

What do you think the response would be if I asked for a comp to WorldPerks silver elite status?

Last year I did three transatlantic trips (one on NW/CO, one on DL, and one on AA) and one transpacific trip (on AA) together with three domestic transcons (one on DL, one on NW, one on JetBlue). The DL trips were before the beginning of their partnership with NW, so they were credited to a SkyMiles account. This all left me with AAdvantage gold status, but no status on any other airline. Had the DL alliance been in effect for the entire year, I would have made silver on NW as well.

Unfortunately, at least one of NW, KL, DL, or CO is nearly always both more convenient and less expensive than AA for the routes that I tend to fly.

I'm currently preparing to book a transpacific trip in March and a transatlantic in May. The miles add up to 23810 on the most direct great circle routings; I'm sure that a real itinerary would stretch them over 25000. It would be very nice to have elite benefits (especially priority checkin and potential upgrades on domestic segments) before starting these trips. Do you think that I can present a good case for a status comp?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you can - contact the Worldperks Service Center & they'll ask you to fax in your most recent mileage statement from AA and a copy of your AA Elite card & they'll probably comp you.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:55 pm

I am pretty much a novice on NW, but I did just get comped to gold status last month. So I can tell you what I learned.

They comped me to gold based on my platinum status on AA (which as you probably know is the equivalent of NW gold). So I assume they would be willing to do an AA gold to NW silver comp as well. They asked me for AA mileage statements for the past three to six months. I was able to print monthly statements off of aa.com that showed both my monthly activity and cumulative annual summary for 2003. You send this info with a cover letter to Emily Hayes at WorldPerks Customer Service Center, 601 Oak St., Chisholm, MN 55719-1995. Or you can fax her at 218-254-7567. Make sure to include your WorldPerks number.

The big question, in my mind, is whether they would comp you based on getting AA gold from one transpacific trip last year. On one level, it shouldn't matter to them how you earned your miles. But they may feel better about assuming that someone flying several trips a month for six months will continue to do that than they would about someone who did one transpacific trip. You might mention that you did three trans-ocean trips last year, on NW, DL and AA, and since it seems that similar trips will repeat this year, you might say that and explain why.

The thing I think you don't want to do is get so specific about the upcoming trips that it becomes clear to them that they are going to get your business whether or not they comp you. Your leverage is that you have a choice, but you like the NW, KL, DL, CO alliance because it gives you slightly more flexibility, but in the end, you want to fly on an airline with which you have status.

That, at least, would be my advice.

BTW, I made my request in late December and got NW's response on January 10, giving me gold through 2/28/05.

Hope this info helps. Good luck!!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all of your advice. I just wrote a cover letter. In addition to my AA status, I tried to stress that I flew 54,518 miles last year on all airlines combined, and that NW and partners will get that business if they are willing to comp me. We'll see what happens!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:55 am

One other thought. You might want to include mileage statements from all the airlines, not just American, so they can see proof of the 54K of flying last year.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Another strategy:

Ask for a "Gold Challenge" which would require you to fly x miles in 3 months. Maybe 5 trips and your Gold Elite for the year.

It would give you higher status and allow free companion upgrades (space available)

Good Luck!

RC
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Another strategy:

Ask for a "Gold Challenge" which would require you to fly x miles in 3 months. Maybe 5 trips and your Gold Elite for the year.

It would give you higher status and allow free companion upgrades (space available)

Good Luck!

RC
</font>

Does a gold challenge exist?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 8:28 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I think you should include all 3 statements with nice cover letter stating activity and futre travel plans. I earned NW silver the hard way last year since I did not know about comp and trying to get them to comp me to Gold to match my AC since I am upset about Air Canada right now.

When checking at the general line, was told it may take about 3 weeks... No phone number found for World Perks center...
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Well, it looks like I got the comp.

At least when I check my WP account on the Web, it says

Account Status: 14Jan1998-29Feb2004 Base Member
01Mar2004-28Feb2005 Silver Elite

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.