Wiki Posts
Search

West Coast to TPE?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
West Coast to TPE?

I am flying from San Francisco to Taipei this weekend on UA as I was unable to figure out a decent routing on NWA. UA offers the non-stop SFO-TPE flight which is really scheduled nicely. As for NWA, its only flight to TPE is from Osaka and the only NW flight to KIX from the US mainland is from DTW making a west coast connection difficult at best. there is a flight from HNL but it would require an overnight in KIX to make the connection and to make matters worse, the flight from LAX misses the connection in HNL as well!

How do you loyal NW flyers on the west coast fly to TPE? I know that China Airlines offers several options and with the new "alliance" maybe that is a possiblity. Any other options I am missing?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by youngbru
I am flying from San Francisco to Taipei this weekend on UA as I was unable to figure out a decent routing on NWA. UA offers the non-stop SFO-TPE flight which is really scheduled nicely. As for NWA, its only flight to TPE is from Osaka and the only NW flight to KIX from the US mainland is from DTW making a west coast connection difficult at best. there is a flight from HNL but it would require an overnight in KIX to make the connection and to make matters worse, the flight from LAX misses the connection in HNL as well!

How do you loyal NW flyers on the west coast fly to TPE? I know that China Airlines offers several options and with the new "alliance" maybe that is a possiblity. Any other options I am missing?
I don't think China Airlines earns EQM. What about SFO->NRT->HKG? Then you can take one of the dozens of HKG->TPE (or any other airport in Taiwan) daily flights. That's a short 1.5 hour flight I think.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:27 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
But I believe the HKG flight gets in ~10:30p. Not sure if there are any connections that late, thus forcing another overnight. I flew the SFO-TPE flight last month on UA and it was great to get in ~5 and have the evening for dinner and some rest. West coast to TPE is really tough on NW.

Originally Posted by hw711
I don't think China Airlines earns EQM. What about SFO->NRT->HKG? Then you can take one of the dozens of HKG->TPE (or any other airport in Taiwan) daily flights. That's a short 1.5 hour flight I think.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Sure I could fly to NRT (or HKG) and take another airline to TPE but that tends to add significantly to the cost. For an example March Itinerary, Roundtrip SFO-TPE:

........................... Y ..... C
China Air (nonstop) $738 $2706
UA (nonstop) ....... $780 $6110
NW/BR(NRT) ....... $1121 $5418

On top of that the NW flight with connection in NRT is about 4 hours longer total travel time. Overall not very practical to fly NW as far as I can tell.

Last edited by youngbru; Jan 14, 2008 at 11:08 am Reason: cleaned up table
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:57 am

CX462 leaves at 11PM. CI620 leaves at midnight. There maybe more choices with regional airlines. Someone who flight that route more often will probably know the answer better.

There is also a smaller airport in Taipei (TPE is actually in Taoyuan, 30 min south of Taipei city). Don't know if any flights from Hong Kong fly there.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:10 am

There are definitely no non-stop skyteam options (excluding DL codeshare of CI metal which doesn't earn NW EQM either). As for price, that probably fluctuates. I don't know pay attention to west coast <-> TPE prices. But I know east coast <-> TPE fares pretty well. Sometimes it's cheaper for me to do NW (NYC/BOS<->DTW<->KIX<->TPE), sometimes it's cheaper for me to do CO(EWR>HKG) and take a quick HKG<->TPE flight, but in the past month, UA definitely has the cheapest NYC<->TPE fare.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by hw711
There is also a smaller airport in Taipei (TPE is actually in Taoyuan, 30 min south of Taipei city). Don't know if any flights from Hong Kong fly there.
Taipei Songshan (TSA) is the airport you're talking about. It's domestic only, so no flights from HKG. TPE is west of the city.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
Taipei Songshan (TSA) is the airport you're talking about. It's domestic only, so no flights from HKG. TPE is west of the city.
You are right. Taoyuan county is south west of Taipei county and the airport is at the north tip of Taoyuan county. I haven't looked at a map of Taiwan since middle school.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:03 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Have you considered KE or backtracking? NW69 from TPE logically continues from NRT to DTW. I really missed the days when NW69/70 alternated KIX-KHH and KIX-KUL.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:54 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The bane of my LAX residency

So sticking with NW in getting to TPE is tough. I assumed they thought there was too much competition with so many flying LAX-TPE (Eva, CI, SQ nonstop and all the others with connecting service) and focused their slots at NRT on more profitable, less competition routes like to China. Plus NW used to have nonstop LAX-TPE service, which don't think did very well for them.

LAX-ICN-TPE works but limited EQM and pretty expensive last I looked.

On Eva you can get CO miles no EQMs I believe
On CI you can get DL and NW miels but no EQMs

On NW you have to go LAX-DTW-KIX-TPE or LAX-HNL-KIX-TPE.

Last year I bought a ticket to NRT on NW (regretted it until I got op-uped on LAX-NRT which gave me faith to staying loyal) and used miles on UA to go NRT-TPE (which also gave me faith to staying with NW). Connections times were great, hung out at the NW lounge in NRT and had a good trip.

This year, I'll probably do LAX-DTW-KIX-TPE but only because my mom is flying up from IAH to DTW. Of course she'll be in Biz on my miles...I'll be in coach....ugh...
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I assumed they thought there was too much competition with so many flying LAX-TPE (Eva, CI, SQ nonstop and all the others with connecting service) and focused their slots at NRT on more profitable, less competition routes like to China.
Specifically they canceled the NRT-TPE flight when they started NRT-CAN.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
On CI you can get DL and NW miels but no EQMs.
ATW reports that CI will be announced as the next full member of SkyTeam.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:28 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Thumbs up

Ah how wonderful....wonder what will happen to the CO/Eva connection...they'll probably jump ship to another alliance then....

Didn't realize that CI & KE had codeshares, particularly since CI can't fly directly into China. Could they if they wanted with a stop somehwhere? I doubt the Taiwanese gov't would let them...

http://www.china-airlines.com/en/new...wsen000325.htm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:37 am
Yub

MH flies LAX-TPE and earns banked NW WP miles but not EQM.

MH is also available for WP award redemption, but you must book by phone as they are not bookable on nwa.com.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by youngbru
As for NWA, its only flight to TPE is from Osaka and the only NW flight to KIX from the US mainland is from DTW making a west coast connection difficult at best. There is a flight from HNL but it would require an overnight in KIX to make the connection and to make matters worse, the flight from LAX misses the connection in HNL as well!
Getting to spend a night in Hawaii makes matters worse? Now I know you're from Bizarro world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.