Wiki Posts
Search

low fares to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
low fares to Asia

I don't necessarily like the idea of taking advantage of misfortune, but any speculation on the likelihood of seeing the kinds of low fares to Asia again this spring/summer in light of the bird flu outbreaks? I flew LAX-BKK for about $440 last June and LAX-SIN for $316 last July and would jump on it again if similar fares show up.
tom
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have been thinking about that as well. I would have flown during the SARS thing if time permitted. Odds are so very slim that one would get sick it makes the good price worth it. The news media just LOVES to make statistically small items into big news items, which the public just eats up as well.

I will take advantage if it happens this time around.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well from FT people are pretty hardy. I'm pretty sure that if a major airline offered a $299 fare to Baghdad, with no minimum stay that we would fill up the plane in a few hours.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jaimito Cartero:
Well from FT people are pretty hardy. I'm pretty sure that if a major airline offered a $299 fare to Baghdad, with no minimum stay that we would fill up the plane in a few hours. </font>
Where did you find this fare...I need one more mileage run to requalify for platinum for this and next year!!!

Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jaimito Cartero:
Well from FT people are pretty hardy. I'm pretty sure that if a major airline offered a $299 fare to Baghdad, with no minimum stay that we would fill up the plane in a few hours. </font>
No minimum stay, a no-cost layover in AMS or Paris and the experimental missile decoy that I read about yesterday.
tom

Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Gold (comped)
I'd take advantage in a heartbeat, if only to experience those spiral approaches and spiral take-offs!

------------------
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by basicdude:
I'd take advantage in a heartbeat, if only to experience those spiral approaches and spiral take-offs!

</font>
Maybe a low, slow, turning approach to the north to offload some "blue/green fluid" after a 8+ hour flight?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:16 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Regarding low fares to Asia, I saw that United has some very low fares going on right now and perhaps Northwest will end up following suit if competitive pressures dictate. It would make sense to stay tuned.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Standby4321:
Regarding low fares to Asia, I saw that United has some very low fares going on right now and perhaps Northwest will end up following suit if competitive pressures dictate. It would make sense to stay tuned.</font>
Nice, but not like last summer. I priced LAX-SIN and LAX-BKK and they both come up at about $565 plus taxes and fees.
But I'll keep watching.
tom

Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:18 am

NW "low" fares are only out until Mar. After Mar, they are hundred(s) higher than the other airlines. I wish they would release their competitive fare earlier.

(Usually compare SIN and BKK.)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:37 pm

Well from FT people are pretty hardy. I'm pretty sure that if a major airline offered a $299 fare to Baghdad, with no minimum stay that we would fill up the plane in a few hours.</font>
Hmmmm... mileage upgradeable?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I wonder the medical term is for most of us "mileage runners". I'm sure there's some latin term for "mileupgradeeliteitis" or such. I'd say that most of you are sick and in need of help. Perhaps we can all fly someplace really far, and really inexpensive and have a DO (or GT) about it all.

On an actual Asia subject, the United fares of $565 are pretty decent. If they still have the % off coupons in the Entertainment book, I think it would cover the taxes too.

Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

On an actual Asia subject, the United fares of $565 are pretty decent. If they still have the % off coupons in the Entertainment book, I think it would cover the taxes too.
</font>
Jamie
I admit it -- I'm spoiled. $316 all in LAX-SIN, and $440 all in, LAX-BKK. That's what I want again. I'd even change planes in Baghdad.
tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.