Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded at "The Question"!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Upgraded at "The Question"!

For the second time in as many trips, I have been upgraded directly after responding "Yes" to the "Would you like a complimentary upgrade if available on your trip from XXX to YYY?"

This time, on an award ticket, flying MSN-MSP-SEA tomorrow. MSN-MSP had already been upgraded, but MSP-SEA had not, and flight was showing P7F7 as of early this morning. Then, checking in at about 23:55 before flight time, I enter the check in process and get a seat up front out of the R bucket (instead of A). Look at availability right after I check in, and it's now P4F4...guessing some others got lucky with early check-ins as well.

Anyone else been noticing better success with "the question"??
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
C'mon! We might be gullible over here but c'mon! That ain't never happened.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The only time I've had "the question" work for me is when I've just used FlyNow to change my flights. After paying the $25 fee, the OLCI process brings you right back to the beginning and asks if you would like your complimentary upgrade. Clicking "yes" will often have success for me.

Then again, I think there was only 3 flights in 2007 that didn't EUA for me. And, due to "security issues", I'm unable to check in online for the outbound portion of any itinerary.

-RM
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Only once in a lifetime for me (and it was probably a saturday morning flight)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Only once in a lifetime for me (and it was probably a saturday morning flight)
Once for me, out of SNA of all places on a Thursday or Friday morning. Lucky thing too, as we had almost a 90 minute ground hold due to conditions in MSP.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Aisle Executive
Twice this week! However, they prolly don't count as I changed outbound flight, used "fly now" on the way back. Anyway got them on the way out of MKE (couldn't get out of MSN because of ffog), and then BOS-DTW today.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
It has happned for ame a few times and this is the entire idea behind the check-in at 24hrs, get on the waitlist, cancel, and try again later. It does happen. Now, think about the guys who checked in and did not cancel. They are on the list but the newly freed up R seat went to the person at OLCI...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by avidflyer
It has happned for ame a few times and this is the entire idea behind the check-in at 24hrs, get on the waitlist, cancel, and try again later. It does happen. Now, think about the guys who checked in and did not cancel. They are on the list but the newly freed up R seat went to the person at OLCI...
Ahh... but recent indications seem to point that such may no longer be the case, as described in this thread (and corroborated by Scoop): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774307
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00
Ahh... but recent indications seem to point that such may no longer be the case, as described in this thread (and corroborated by Scoop): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774307
But Scoop never actually said that the arcane practice would no longer be beneficial. He didn't say that as soon as an R seat opens up, someone is plucked from the waiting list. To me, it seems entirely possible / likely that there is still some non-zero amount of time between when the R seat opens up and when someone is plucked from the wait list in which an OLCI person can snag the seat. Until Scoop tells me otherwise, I'm likely to continue the OLCI black magic.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skowse
Twice this week! However, they prolly don't count as I changed outbound flight, used "fly now" on the way back. Anyway got them on the way out of MKE (couldn't get out of MSN because of ffog), and then BOS-DTW today.
Maybe this is part of the "Upgrade passengers residing in the vicinity of MSN at "the question" promotion"

Originally Posted by ifette
But Scoop never actually said that the arcane practice would no longer be beneficial. He didn't say that as soon as an R seat opens up, someone is plucked from the waiting list. To me, it seems entirely possible / likely that there is still some non-zero amount of time between when the R seat opens up and when someone is plucked from the wait list in which an OLCI person can snag the seat. Until Scoop tells me otherwise, I'm likely to continue the OLCI black magic.
I tend to agree. I'm guessing that new R seats were released after the last EUA ran, and were just sitting around for the taking until EUA ran again.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
It worked for me on MSP-LAX a couple of weeks ago. I tried to check in and 24 hours and no dice and then tried again about 2 hours later and voila!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Once last year

In 104 segments and 12 non-1st I had it happen 1 time.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:55 pm

What the "yes" means is in most cases they throw you on the stand-by list, but if it close to departure and based on a few more things they can sneak most elites up in p/f
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: NW Silver Elite
Flying between MSP and TPA I have had this occur on numerous occasions, even as a lowly Silver!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:53 am
2mg

The question prompt is one big psych out. Would you like...emphasize on the would. Almost like a game show. You could win a new upgrade. Sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.