Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

My Travelpro luggage keeps getting trashed when I'm forced to check it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Travelpro luggage keeps getting trashed when I'm forced to check it

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by themicah
Most 22" rollaboards will fit into the 319/320 overheads the right way. It's been a while since I've been on a DC9, but my guess is that if they fit the
Then why do I always see people shoving their oversized 22" bag in sideways
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
The way things are going, pretty soon you will have to pay NW to check your bag for them to tear up!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
My bet is on the ground handlers. ^
Ground staff it is, IMHO. My last six bag incidents have been wrecked in a frighteningly short period of time. It's as if NW (and in one Tumi instance, CO) has it in for me. Even a heavy duty ski case (that should survive) had a steel screw which held a wheel in place summarily broken off.

I hate checking luggage, but I hate the jerks who come on board with 27" suiters and expect everyone else to gate-check their purses even more, so I try to not be one.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: NW/Plat, Sheraton/Plat, Marriott/Plat, Emerald Exec Elite
For $15 a segment NW won't let the gorilla load your bag
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Briggs-Riley

My vote also goes to this brand and their stated guarantee seems gorilla-proof. Well, on second thought, forget I said that -- I don't want to struggle to find my black roll-aboard among 200 others on the conveyor.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
Looking for indestructable luggage?

I've got two words for you: Zero Halliburton.

I have had my 24" Zeroroller (they also make 21, 26, 29, and 32") for a year and I couldn't be more happy with it. It takes a beating, but I haven't even had a hint of a problem with it, and even if I did, it has a lifetime warranty for everything. Sure, the thing gets scratched and scuffed up like hell, but I think it looks pretty good. Plus it's recognizable, not too many bags going around the conveyor belt that are aluminum.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Delta GM, CO GE
Originally Posted by jcs17
Looking for indestructable luggage?

I've got two words for you: Zero Halliburton.

I have had my 24" Zeroroller (they also make 21, 26, 29, and 32") for a year and I couldn't be more happy with it. It takes a beating, but I haven't even had a hint of a problem with it, and even if I did, it has a lifetime warranty for everything. Sure, the thing gets scratched and scuffed up like hell, but I think it looks pretty good. Plus it's recognizable, not too many bags going around the conveyor belt that are aluminum.

Hey I just checked this brand out. It is very cool but ***very*** expensive too.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
Great Warranty for Briggs-Riley

Had not heard of Briggs-Riley before... just visited their website... their lifetime warranty includes damage caused by airlines.. compare that to the warranty for more expensive Andiamo luggage that excludes any damage caused by the airlines... my old Andiamo 20" is not ready for retirement, but when I look to replace a much smaller TravelPro for one night trips on NWA, Briggs-Riley is going to get a close look for sure.

Originally Posted by njvj
Try Briggs- Riley luggage. I love mine. I gave up on Travel Pro after two jammed handles and a broken lock.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Why all the negativity towards TravelPro? I guess I'm not as much of a road warrior as some of you here. But I personally love my Travelpro. No matter if I am going for two weeks to Europe or a weekend to San Francisco, my 22" Travelpro comes with me. But yes, I rarely check it in, so it works for me. The price is right, too...I usually find the deal for Travelpro for about $100 and it's not the light, cheap line. However, if I have $$ to spare, I would check out some of the lines here. Gosh, I didn't know Kirkland Signature luggages are so highly thought of!!

BTW...I just bought a Swiss Victorinox for a STEAL...what do you guys think of that brand?
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:39 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
zero halliburton

Originally Posted by Himmelhund
Hey I just checked this brand out. It is very cool but ***very*** expensive too.
EGHADS! I could buy 4-5 TravelPro for that cost (if you shop around)!

Without a doubt, if what's inside is important to you, this is the way to go.

Then again, wonder if any of those are specifically sized to fit into the overhead of a CRJ...

Steve B.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 MM
My Purdy Neat Rollerboard is 3 years old and still in great shape

I am much happier with the Purdy Neat rollerboard.

http://www.luggageworksonline.com/

http://www.stopoverstore.com/product/detail.cfm/pid/910

The CRJ's require me to gate check it, however it is in excellent condition and unlike Travel Pro can be repaired by the owner using a screwdriver. Riveted rollerboards (such as travelproi) are harder for the average owner to repair.

RC

Last edited by Radiocycle; Mar 18, 2006 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
I have a Skyway rollerboard that I have been very happy with. I haven't had it too long, but the quality is very high in this bag.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
My bet is on the ground handlers. ^
Mine too. I have a higher-end TravelPro, about a year old, and had checked in occasionally without problems on Alaska (despite Menzies manhandling most bags) until I checked it recently with Northwest. In Seattle, somehow the ballistic nylon got caught in a machine (or something) and ripped it completely down one seam.

It was repaired, but took several weeks.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
The Kirkland Signature luggage (private label) that Costco sells is great!
I agree - the Kirkland luggage sold at Costco is extremely well made and holds up very well. You cannot beat the price either.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Over here there is only on brand that is considered extremely durable, and they also sell their stuff in the US: Rimowa. Their bags are extremely light, but still considered virtually indestructible...

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.